snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 07 November 2017, 07:44 PM

Baseball 2, maybe 5 this week

1. I thought poets wrote sonnets and painters painted. Hmm. Learn something new every day. I don't know many French painters, and the ones I do know all start with M. Manet, Monet and Matisse. I'll go with Matisse.

2. I learned it in school as BEDMAS, Brackets, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction.

3. I'm spitballing here, but the Rhodes Scholarship? It's been around for a while.

4. I have no clue. JD Robb?

5. Hmmmm. I know this one.... One of my favourite films. Charlie Chaplin lampooned Adolf Hitler.

6. Wild boar? Don't know. I've had quite a bit of boar in Israel and Lebanon and it went by a lot of names. Long pig would fit right in.

7. I know something that ties several of them together. Angels, Dodgers, Yankees and formerly the Tigers all played in stadiums that held the team names. I don't know if it holds true for the others or if that is even unusual.
Old 07 November 2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I notice we had the D and the M the other way round, too - even in the more standard BEDMAS version. That makes a better word, to my mind...
I don't know about that, I think kids would certainly remember BOMDAS better, especially if you pronounced it "bombed ass".
Old 07 November 2017, 08:10 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I don't know about that, I think kids would certainly remember BOMDAS better, especially if you pronounced it "bombed ass".
That is true. After all, I had heard a rumour that near my hometown they tried to get the mnemonic changed from BEDMAS to BEMDAS, because it had the word "Bed" in it. Too sexualised, I guess.

I know it is probably an urban legend, but given the nature of where I grew up, it would not surprise me at all.
Old 07 November 2017, 08:38 PM

Compared to one of the mnemonics used to remember resistor color codes*, that's extremely tame.

* Really doubt it was ever an "official" one.
Old 07 November 2017, 09:43 PM

1. What French painter wrote an 1889 sonnet that begins, "One knows that in your world / Queens are made of distance and grease paint"? Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec?

2. What does the S, which comes last, stand for in the arithmetic mnemonic PEMDAS? subtraction

3. What scholarly order was founded in 1534 by seven men, including Ignatius of Loyola and Francis Xavier? The Jesuits

5. What two men were born just four days apart in April 1889, fifty years before one lampooned the other with a famous movie portrayal? Charlie Chaplin and Adolf Hitler

6. "Long pig" is a culinary term for what kind of meat? Human flesh
Old 08 November 2017, 03:05 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Pretty impressive you got it right then.
Not really. "Arithmatic" plus MDAS made the answer fairly obvious (to me, at least).

But thank you anyway (actually, I should've said "thank you" first. Oops).

Seaboe
Old 14 November 2017, 11:54 AM

Tuesday Trivia Time!

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What French painter wrote an 1889 sonnet that begins, "One knows that in your world / Queens are made of distance and grease paint"?
Edgar Degas, when he wasn't painting ballerinas, was writing poetry about them.

2. What does the S, which comes last, stand for in the arithmetic mnemonic PEMDAS?
PEMDAS is the "order of operations" mnemonic: parentheses, then exponents, then multiplication, and so on. The final S is for "subtraction."

3. What scholarly order was founded in 1534 by seven men, including Ignatius of Loyola and Francis Xavier?
The Society of Jesus, better known as the Jesuit order.

4. What author, currently working on Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone, announced last year that its sequel, the tenth book in her best-selling series, will also be the last?
This is Diana Gabaldon, who writes those incredibly successful novels that I don't know anything about but I think maybe started out as erotic Highlander fanfic?

5. What two men were born just four days apart in April 1889, fifty years before one lampooned the other with a famous movie portrayal?
Charlie Chaplin and his mustache twin Adolf Hitler were both born during the third week of April, 1889.

6. "Long pig" is a culinary term for what kind of meat?
"Long pig" was supposedly the local term on certain cannibal-friendly Pacific islands for human flesh.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these major league baseball teams, and no others? Angels, Dodgers, Marlins, Nationals, Orioles, Yankees, and formerly the Braves, Tigers, and White Sox.
These are all the teams that play (or played) in parks named for the team itself rather than some insurance company or something. This was going to be an all-sport question before I realized how many NFL teams briefly did this in the late '90s/early 2000s. I don't think there's a team in NBA history that's done this, and in hockey it was just the Maple Leafs and (arguably) the Capitals.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What country did Saad Hariri lead before his unexpected resignation earlier this month?

2. What popular Australian food brand is named for a type of French casserole pot?

3. What is scattered by the Tyndall effect?

4. At the time of her death in 2007, an Inuit woman named Rose Okpeaha Leavitt was the last living witness to the 1935 deaths of what two famous Americans?

5. What TV character worked as a chef at Iridium, then Allesandro's, and then Javu?

6. What was the Olympic sport of sailing known as prior to the 2000 games?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these rock bands? Blondie, Garbage, Guns & Roses, Journey, the Monkees, No Doubt, the Ramones, Tool, the Velvet Underground.

Enjoy.
Old 14 November 2017, 12:14 PM

1. What country did Saad Hariri lead before his unexpected resignation earlier this month?

Lebanon.

2. What popular Australian food brand is named for a type of French casserole pot?

The only food brand I know that is named for a French casserole pot is Marmite, but it's not Australian.
Old 14 November 2017, 12:21 PM

Oi! I haven't read them all yet, but number 2 is an English (or British) food brand! I think Australians might eat it as well, but theirs isn't even the same!
Old 14 November 2017, 12:28 PM

Whalephant

#4 is Wiley Post and Will Rogers? Maybe?
Old 14 November 2017, 12:37 PM

Richard W: Australians eat Vegemite instead.
Old 14 November 2017, 12:56 PM

Lebanon.

4. At the time of her death in 2007, an Inuit woman named Rose Okpeaha Leavitt was the last living witness to the 1935 deaths of what two famous Americans?

Will Rogers and...the pilot dude?

Yachting? Hiding from snake-like sharks?
Old 14 November 2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Richard W: Australians eat ...
They also have the brand Ken Jennings is thinking of, I believe. But I've been told it's slightly different from the British version. (I didn't try it when I was there as far as I remember. I have tried the brand you mention. It tastes "green" and not nearly salty enough.)

I think number 5 is Monica from Friends.

The rock bands look interesting - I'm sure I should be able to think of something for that, but no ideas so far.
Old 14 November 2017, 02:15 PM

3. What is scattered by the Tyndall effect? Light?

6. What was the Olympic sport of sailing known as prior to the 2000 games? Ketching? Or, for the Israeli team, Kvetching?
Old 14 November 2017, 03:20 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

I've been avoiding politics lately as the news has been so overwhelmingly bad, that I have no clue. I'm going to say Syria, just to have an answer.
Quote:

I initially read this as Austrian instead of Australian. And I should know this, but the answer is hovering off just to the left of my brain, so I don't. Entrepot.
Quote:

3. What is scattered by the Tyndall effect?
At this time of year, I have to say leaves, even if it's not right.
Quote:

Gag. Two supposed robbers who were electrocuted in Massachusetts whose names are off with the answer to question number 2. Sacco & Vanzetti. ETA: I think Kitap has this right.
Quote:

5. What TV character worked as a chef at Iridium, then Allesandro's, and then Javu?
A character on one of the many shows I've never seen. I don't even have a guess for this one.
Quote:

Yachting?
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these rock bands? Blondie, Garbage, Guns & Roses, Journey, the Monkees, No Doubt, the Ramones, Tool, the Velvet Underground.
They all continued after losing a major member of the band. Journey lost its lead singer, Monkees lost (initially) Mike Nesmith, No Doubt lost what's his face Stefani (Gwen's brother), the Ramones lost Joey (I think it was Joey who went first). I think Blondie lost a guitarist.

Seaboe
Old 14 November 2017, 04:09 PM

1. Lebanon.

2. No idea.

3. Light.

4. Will Rogers is one, the other, his pilot, is escaping me at the moment.

5. Monica Gellar.

6. Tacking?

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 14 November 2017, 04:53 PM

Baseball Only 1 this week

1. Hariri was PM of Lebanon. Lead? There is still the President as head of state.

2. Betty Crocker

3. Light?

4. Bonnie and Clyde? Going to be interested to see the answer to this one

5. I don't know TV chefs. Ramsey? I think he's one.

6. Windjamming

7. All have one standout member that has the band's identity tied to their own. Really, can anyone name a member of Blondie other than Debbie Harry?