snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 28 August 2014, 01:16 PM

I only ever had a nightmare about my dutch doll, but she was kind of PO'ed looking anyway. When I was 3 I dreamed all my dollies were running a lunch counter in the play loft and they gave me a chocolate malt.

The bad part of that dream was my disappointment upon waking up and realizing it didn't happen.
Old 28 August 2014, 01:33 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
(Sigh) When did toys become creepy? Is this some kind of internet thang? If Peter, Paul and Mary were starting out today, would they be singing about receiving a creeya** toy? < geezer > I liked my toys, even the dolls. < /geezer >
I worked with a woman 30-odd years ago whose sister detested dolls. She thought they were creepy and refused to have any in her bedroom at all even as a child. So people have been thinking dolls are creepy for a very long time.
Old 28 August 2014, 09:06 PM

Icon220

Also, I don't see any evidence that phobias about dolls are any more common now. Last Christmas my niece's daughter, who is 7, showed me her Monster High doll collection. (I think they're very cool, BTW. ) That's just one anecdote but according to this 2010 article they're very popular.

Brian
Old 29 August 2014, 03:41 PM

It seems to be the baby or child dolls that trigger the creepy vibe. You don't often hear about people being squigged out by the fashion dolls, like Barbie. I know some people really dislike Bratz and Monster High dolls, but I think that's because they trigger a slutty vibe.

I also have seen a lot of folks react badly to dolls make in the 19th century. I worked for an antique shop once, and the owner said she bought a doll from an estate that she claimed resonated evil. Then one day a doll collector came in, picked up the doll, and started making over it and talking baby talk to it in a loving way. My boss claimed, "I swear to God, that damned doll smiled!"
Old 30 August 2014, 08:12 AM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
It seems to be the baby or child dolls that trigger the creepy vibe.
Thanks for that interesting--and useful--piece of information. I don't find any inanimate objects to be creepy and don't understand people who do. However, I find it useful to know what objects trigger that reaction in some people so I can avoid potential faux pas.
Quote:
I know some people really dislike Bratz and Monster High dolls, but I think that's because they trigger a slutty vibe.
Wow! I knew that about Bratz dolls but I had no idea that some people have that idea about Monster High dolls. I don't see it at all.
Quote:
I also have seen a lot of folks react badly to dolls make in the 19th century.
Yea, I don't understand it but I know it exists. I don't have any particular interest in 19th century dolls but I do admire the craftsmanship of many of them. However, I do have a fascination with early automatons, which ties into my general fascination with robotics. I would love to see the Jaquet-Droz automata in Switzerland some day.

Brian
Old 31 August 2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
I would love to see the Jaquet-Droz automata in Switzerland some day.

Brian
Thanks for this. Very interesting.
Old 31 August 2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that interesting--and useful--piece of information. I don't find any inanimate objects to be creepy and don't understand people who do. However, I find it useful to know what objects trigger that reaction in some people so I can avoid potential faux pas.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you wave a baby doll in someone's face and make scary "Whoooo!" noises.

Quote:
Yea, I don't understand it but I know it exists. I don't have any particular interest in 19th century dolls but I do admire the craftsmanship of many of them. However, I do have a fascination with early automatons, which ties into my general fascination with robotics. I would love to see the Jaquet-Droz automata in Switzerland some day.
Thanks for the 2 hour YouTube binge. Jaquet Droz's work is incredible!
Old 15 March 2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by she-geek View Post
My mother has this 2-foot-tall animatronic figurine of a Victorian caroler that she used to haul out every Christmas season for years. It held a "candle" that looked more like a spear, and brandished the thing in a threatening manner, in dead silence. Gave me the willies.
We had a four foot tall santa that looked just plain evil. Even the dog barked at it.
Old 25 March 2015, 09:58 PM

I have an absolute fear/hatred of ventriloquist puppets due to horror movies, yet I collect porcilen dolls and those are used almost as often (I will not however keep them in the same room I sleep in just because yeah, creep factor).

I think dolls are generally 'creepy' because of the lifelessness. They stare, unblinking, with false smiles and an unchanging gaze. It un-nerves the lizard part of our brains.
Old 17 April 2015, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I don't find any inanimate objects to be creepy and don't understand people who do.
As I've never been scared of dolls either, I can see your point. But I do have a weird phobia of my own, so I won't judge anybody.
Old 17 April 2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitaina View Post
I think dolls are generally 'creepy' because of the lifelessness. They stare, unblinking, with false smiles and an unchanging gaze. It un-nerves the lizard part of our brains.
Yeah, I can see what you mean.
Old 17 April 2015, 09:40 AM

Icon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
But I do have a weird phobia of my own, so I won't judge anybody.
As I do as well. I know I have certain phobias that are inexplicable to others as I find some phobias of others that are inexplicable to me.

Brian

Last edited by BrianB; 17 April 2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Forgot an I
Old 22 April 2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegendfanatic View Post
We had a four foot tall santa that looked just plain evil. Even the dog barked at it.
The dog barked at the Christmas tree one year and then look sheepish.
Old 25 April 2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
The dog barked at the Christmas tree one year and then look sheepish.
The santa was a display santa for I think Coke. My dad had a store at the time. He brought it home because the distributor didn't want it back. It amazed me that someone was using that just plain scary looking thing to sell something.
Old 17 March 2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: Urban legend about Cookie Monster dolls. According to this
legend, in the 1980's many children began experiencing nightmares brought
on by sleeping w/the doll. What bothered the parents was that not only
were their children having nightmares, all the children reporting
nightmares reported having the SAME nightmare. They would wake up in
their beds in the dark and see a man in the shadows staring at them. Over
the years, this happened less and less, however, children with Elmo dolls
are experiencing the same nightmares.
I had a talking grover doll in the early 1980s, the kind where you pull
a string, and a tiny plastic grammaphone inside would play a small rigid
plastic record attached to a needle and a soft plastic cone used to amplify
the sound.

The doll didn't scare me, but I remember the string breaking and me
eventualy tearing open the doll to get to the neat little record player
inside.
Old 17 March 2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
For all the creepy dolls I had as a child, the thing that scared me the most was this little red electric organ my grandmother gave me. Maybe it's because there was something really off about the sound, but I used to have recurring nightmares where I was being chased up and down the stairs by a wheezing little miniature piano (for added effect, I remember very clearly that it also oozed slime between its keys). For years I refused to be in the same room with the thing, but telling my parents that a kiddy musical instrument was really a slime spewing monster wasn't enough of an excuse to throw out a toy from grandma.
This brinhs back the horror of an old school Speak and Spell when it's
batteries got low and the electronic shut off would fail to work!
Plus it had the added bonus of having a child resistant battery cover.
Once, when it did it's staticy raspy voice and went ELF! ELF! E..E..E,
I chucked it up hard against a brick wall to get it to stop. Amazingly, after a fresh
set of batteries, it worked fine. Those things were built like tanks!