snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 29 November 2017, 04:38 PM

They take your word for when you arrived?
Old 29 November 2017, 05:31 PM

I'd guess that you could be ticketed if the parking attendant sees a parking disk with a time set later than the current time. So you'd face about as much risk of being ticketed for "early" parking as you would be for parking too long in a time limited area. I'd also guess that sneaky parkers know when the attendants patrol (if at all) and could set the time appropriately.
Old 29 November 2017, 10:39 PM

D'oh!

Be sensitive to the fears and triggers of potential viewers of your posts on internet message boards...

Sorry 'bout that...
Old 30 November 2017, 06:44 AM

Exactly, Kemor (although the writing on mine is in German) and yes, they do, Lainie. You are supposed to the next full or half hour after your arrival and you are allowed to park for a posted time - usually 1 or 2 hours - after that.

You can be fined for setting a later time and for coming back to the car and re-setting the disk (if they catch you).
Old 30 November 2017, 02:11 PM

Glasses

In Seattle, in places where over parking is a problem, they mark your tire with chalk. If the chalk isn't smudged when they check again (there's more to it than that, probably, or you could just smudge the chalk with your shoe), you get a ticket. Clearly, this is only for places where parking is free.

In neighborhoods where parking isn't usually a problem, though, they wait for someone to complain before giving out tickets.

Seaboe
Old 30 November 2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
In Seattle, in places where over parking is a problem, they mark your tire with chalk. If the chalk isn't smudged when they check again (there's more to it than that, probably, or you could just smudge the chalk with your shoe), you get a ticket. Clearly, this is only for places where parking is free.

In neighborhoods where parking isn't usually a problem, though, they wait for someone to complain before giving out tickets.

Seaboe
They used to chalk the tire and the ground at the same time. Even if you move to a new location or drive around the block, you will not be able to line up the tire and ground marks.
Old 30 November 2017, 04:42 PM

Yes you really liked him but you only knew him for 3 months. Stop crying because he broke it off, pull yourself together and get on with your life.
Old 01 December 2017, 02:16 PM

Keket, I'm sorry that it didn't work out.

Would it help to dedicate a couple of days to soaking in bubble bath (presuming that you like bubble bath) and weeping?
Old 01 December 2017, 02:37 PM

Thank you, TL. And I'm not sure. I've done a bit of that, and took a mental health day yesterday. I'm at work for a 12 hour shift today and I'm muddling through, but it still hurts. Mostly because he couldn't seem to give me a solid reason for why he wanted out. I've flicked through Match and Tinder but can't seem to find anyone else I find even remotely interesting.
Old 01 December 2017, 03:31 PM

Sometimes the only reason people themselves know is just 'this doesn't feel right'.
Old 02 December 2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Sometimes the only reason people themselves know is just 'this doesn't feel right'.
And that's been the most frustrating part. I can't fix that. If he doesn't feel that way, I can't do anything to make him feel that way.
Old 15 December 2017, 05:26 PM

Spit Take

Don't eat while reading the "Havoc Through The Snow" thread.
Old 15 December 2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies View Post
They used to chalk the tire and the ground at the same time. Even if you move to a new location or drive around the block, you will not be able to line up the tire and ground marks.
I know this is from a while back, but I don't get this. Why would you want or need to line up the chalk marks? The point of the marks is to show that the car has been parked in the same place since the time that it was marked, which, if it is longer than the parking time limit, means that car gets a ticket when the enforcement officer comes back.

In order to not get a ticket, you would need to either move your car or cheat by rubbing the chalk off. I can't think of any way it would work where you'd want to line up the tire and ground marks.
Old 15 December 2017, 06:44 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of the Mad Bunnies View Post
They used to chalk the tire and the ground at the same time.
...Weirdly enough, I read recently in the Seattle Time's traffic column that it isn't enough to drive the car around the block and re-park. Apparently, you need to re-park on a different block. Coming back around and parking in the same slot, or even one that's nearby, is considered a violation, because you're trying to evade the time limits.

Seaboe
Old 15 December 2017, 07:12 PM

Here, that is written into the parking ordinances, and it doesn't depend on whether one was trying to to evade anything. In the ones I've read, it just specifies that if you park in a time-limited spot, you can't repark immediately afterward (or maybe within an hour or something like that) within a block of the spot you left.
Old 19 December 2017, 02:44 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Go to the grocery store! Get some lunch food so you won't be hitting the self-serve cafe's less than-great-selection of junk food and semi-healthy food. at self.
Old 19 December 2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I know this is from a while back, but I don't get this. Why would you want or need to line up the chalk marks? The point of the marks is to show that the car has been parked in the same place since the time that it was marked, which, if it is longer than the parking time limit, means that car gets a ticket when the enforcement officer comes back.

In order to not get a ticket, you would need to either move your car or cheat by rubbing the chalk off. I can't think of any way it would work where you'd want to line up the tire and ground marks.
That is how it all works. To cheat you can just roll your car forward a a foot or so, or rub off either of the marks.
Old 19 December 2017, 06:58 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
That is how it all works. To cheat you can just roll your car forward a a foot or so, or rub off either of the marks.
...which is why, as erwins pointed out, the parking ordinance says you have to move at least a block.

Seaboe
Old 19 December 2017, 07:28 PM

I think jimmy101_again is asking how they know that you just moved the car a few feet if they are basing the parking timing on lined up chalk marks?
Old 19 December 2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
To cheat you can just roll your car forward a a foot or so, or rub off either of the marks.
While certainly not fool-proof, but moving the car a foot or so simply moves the tire chalk mark maybe a quarter turn to 1/8 turn and unless the roadway mark is removed, it would seem easy to determine if the marks would line up if the vehicle was moved back a foot?