snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 23 May 2017, 12:23 PM

1. Hannibal fought for what ancient city-state located on the Lake of Tunis?
Carthage

2. The expression "to pull out all the stops" originated with what kind of performer?
Pipe organist

4. Laura Dern, Oprah Winfrey, Demi Moore, and Billy Bob Thornton were among the celeb cameos on "The Puppy Episode," the April 30, 1997 sitcom episode on which what happened?
Is that when Ellen Degeneres came out of the closet?

5. What clothing retailer named for a New Jersey town now uses a sideways heart for the first letter in its logo?
Burlington Coat Factory

6. Silver iodide is the chemical most commonly used to seed what?
Clouds
Old 23 May 2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

2. The expression "to pull out all the stops" originated with what kind of performer?

3. Who quietly snuck out of Owings Mills, Maryland in fifteen Mayflower moving vans on the night of March 29, 1984?

4. Laura Dern, Oprah Winfrey, Demi Moore, and Billy Bob Thornton were among the celeb cameos on "The Puppy Episode," the April 30, 1997 sitcom episode on which what happened?

5. What clothing retailer named for a New Jersey town now uses a sideways heart for the first letter in its logo?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these well-known people? Primo Carnera, Jean Cocteau, Farrah Fawcett, Art Fleming, Henry Morgan, C.S. Lewis, Sergei Prokofiev, Georg Solti, Slim Whitman, Orville Wright.

Enjoy!

1. Carthage
2. Organist
3. Baltimore Colts (now the Indianapolis Colts)

5. Burlington something. I think they dropped the "Coat Factory" part of the name).
6. Clouds
Old 23 May 2017, 01:22 PM

Whalephant

TallGeekyGirl, yep to number 4.
Old 23 May 2017, 02:27 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Carthage? That's what popped first to mind, anyway.
Quote:

An organist, I assume
Quote:

3. Who quietly snuck out of Owings Mills, Maryland in fifteen Mayflower moving vans on the night of March 29, 1984?
That financial advice guy my father used to watch on TV. Or else some corporation, like DuPont.
Quote:

Seinfeld's dog had puppies and he had to give them away. This was in the middle of my not-watching-TV episode, so I truly have no clue.
Quote:

Something that starts with a B.
Quote:

Now this I know. Clouds.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these well-known people? Primo Carnera, Jean Cocteau, Farrah Fawcett, Art Fleming, Henry Morgan, C.S. Lewis, Sergei Prokofiev, Georg Solti, Slim Whitman, Orville Wright.
That is an extremely interesting list. I've actually heard of all of them. I'm going to guess it has something to do with cancer, but what, I don't know.

Seaboe
Old 23 May 2017, 02:53 PM

1. Carthage.

2. Organ player.

3. The Baltimore Colts.

4. Ellen DeGeneres came out.

5. Don't know.

6. Rain clouds.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 23 May 2017, 03:35 PM

Icon101

Tatooine?

Organist

The owner of Mayflower Van Lines? (and I think his name is Mayflower van Lines.)

Ellen Morgan, played by Ellen Degeneres, admitted to herself - and revealed to others - that she is gay on the sitcom Ellen.

Burlington Coat Factory

Clouds

The only thing I can think of is that they were all deacons, ministers, or the like.
Old 23 May 2017, 03:38 PM

Icon401

Quote:

1. Carthage
2. Pipe Organ
3. the Indianapolis (nee Baltimore) Colts
4. I don't know.
5. Burlington Coat Factory
6. Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Did they all...
7. No, but CS Lewis did, and Farrah Fawcett died the same day as Michael Jackson, and Prokofiev and Stalin both died 5 March 1953 (which I know because that's my brother's birth date!), so you may want to white that out. The answer is that they all died on the same date as another, more-famous person died.
Old 23 May 2017, 08:20 PM

Baseball Good week. 3 for 7 and no chance of any of my guesses being correct.

1. I believe that is Carthage

2. One who plays the organ

3. Walter Mondale's original running mate. I have no clue. But 15 trucks does not usually coincide with "quietly"

4. Roseanne won the lottery and jumped the shark

5. Newark's Haberdashery. (I have no clue)

6. Criminal networks. Just kidding. Clouds

7. They were all made more famous by being on a poster
Old 23 May 2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyHere4KJT View Post
... you may want to white that out.
I didn't white it out because I was joking...! I knew about CS Lewis (and Aldous Huxley, who's not on the list). But apparently I was closer than I'd realised to the actual answer. If I'd thought about it, I knew that about Farrah Fawcett too.

Also I tend to think that number 7 answers should be more collaborative than the others, so if I only have an idea rather than actually knowing the answer, I tend not to white it out in case somebody else can add to it.