snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 16 January 2019, 02:33 PM

Blow Your Top

This morning I saw some fool on the Beltway who had not cleaned off the rear windshield or car roof. Weaving in and out of traffic.
Old 16 January 2019, 02:44 PM

If you drive fast enough, you don't have to worry about what's behind you.
Old 16 January 2019, 08:24 PM

I saw an Isuzu Oasis this morning. Being a minivan from the late 1990s, it's not all that "interesting" except for the fact that it's one that didn't sell very well. Ok, it's actually a rebadged Honda Odyssey, but according to the article I linked to the Isuzu version only sold fewer that 3000 per year, so it's a very uncommon vehicle to see on the streets.
Old 17 January 2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
...Ok, it's actually a rebadged Honda Odyssey...
I wonder if they traded Rodeo/Passports for them...
Old 17 January 2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
I wonder if they traded Rodeo/Passports for them...
Apparently so:

Quote:
Honda would get the Isuzu Rodeo SUV, that would be re-badged as the Honda Passport (CC here). In trade, Isuzu would get a minivan – a re-badge of the original Honda Odyssey (CC here).
Old 17 January 2019, 12:32 PM

Driver

Coming home from work, I saw a car whose color was an exact match to the school bus sitting next to it at an intersection. Now I've seen many car colors in my day, but I never thought I'd see School Bus Yellow as a choice. On a sporty looking car nonetheless.
Old 17 January 2019, 05:42 PM

IMO sports cars are about the only kinds of cars that sometimes actually look good in yellow, although perhaps not the shade used on school buses. Everything else just looks like taxi. Had you not said it was a sporty looking car I would have assumed it was a former taxi.
Old 19 January 2019, 07:20 PM

Yesterday while walking from the office to a nearby restaurant to grab some lunch, I walked by a 1964* Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu. The thing I thought was interesting about it was that unlike most old Chevelles you see on the road, this one hadn't been hot-rodded, lust like the Nova I posted about a few months ago. It looked entirely original -- a plain white four door sedan with what looked like the original wheel covers, and on the inside a bench seat up front with only lap belts for seatbelts and an automatic transmission with the shifter on the steering column.** They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so:

1964? Chevelle Malibu by mtwilda, on Flickr

Chevelle interior by mtwilda, on Flickr

*Making and educated guess on the year based on a cursory check of Wikipedia.

**As opposed to bucket seats and a four-on-the-floor with a Hurst shifter like people like to put on 1960s cars.
Old 21 January 2019, 07:46 PM

Glasses

I wonder if the driver has ever had someone go "cool, a bench seat" the way I had someone say something similar (I have a split-bench seat in my truck).

Seaboe
Old 21 January 2019, 08:42 PM

I'd just like to dispel the myth that the Chevelle was a muscle car. The high performance Chevelle SS was a muscle car. The regular Chevelle was just an ordinary mid-sized car. But since the SS models were the ones most people saved, and others got customized into hot rods/muscle car clones, those are the only ones most people see nowadays and they get the idea that they were all muscle cars.
Old 22 January 2019, 12:13 AM

Driver

The reason it's not been modified or hot rodded yet is because it's a four door post. They're just not as cool as a two door, plain and simple.

That's changing. Wagons have become cool. You now see more and more of them restored, and yes, hot rodded.

As these care get older (And more expensive), I believe you'll begin to see the 4 doors get modified and customized.

It used to be like that with the 20 to 30s hot rods. For years, all you ever saw was roadsters, coupes and convertibles. Now it's not unusual at all to see a old Ford four door hot rodded.

Thank you for posting those pictures, by the way. (And I can SEE them! )
Old 22 January 2019, 01:15 AM

Hey, I'm glad it hasn't been hot rodded. I find it much more interesting to see a totally unmodified survivor like this one.

Ironically, I can't see my own pictures right now because Flickr is blocked at work.
Old 23 January 2019, 08:00 PM

Driver

Today I saw a relatively unabused first-generation Honda Prelude. I thought these were the coolest thing when they first came out.

Old 23 January 2019, 11:41 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
...Ironically, I can't see my own pictures right now because Flickr is blocked at work.
Son of a gun! THAT'S why I'm seeing some pictures, but not others. It's blocked here too.

I'm going to have to find a photo hosting site that isn't.
Old 26 January 2019, 08:23 PM

I saw a Saab 9-2x on the freeway this morning. Iíd never heard of that model so I looked it up and itís apparently another obscure rebadged model that didnít sell very well. In this case it started out as a Subaru Impreza.
Old 27 January 2019, 09:43 AM

Driver

I have two recent ones. A few weeks ago I took my Mini in for scheduled service and the dealer now has a 1960 Morris Mini Traveller in the showroom. I've seen many old Minis before but this one is the first one I've ever seen with a left-side steering wheel. Fortunately, there were pages taped to the window that explained it was built for the Canadian market and that the first owner lived in Montreal. From what I understand is that most owners of old Minis imported them directly from the UK. I had no idea that they were ever sold in North America.

And on Thursday I saw a Datsun pickup truck on the freeway. Not sure what year it was but according to Wikipedia it must have been 1985 or earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
I saw a Cooper Mini. That is a very rare thing in the tiny, rural town.
A cousin of my dad who lives in rural downstate Illinois owns one but I understand he had to drive quite a distance to get it since, as far as I know, Mini doesn't have dealerships outside of urban and suburban areas.

Brian
Old 28 January 2019, 02:56 PM

Glasses

On Friday, during the afternoon commute from hell (a bus fire closed the northbound freeway), I passed a 1 block long dead end street with 3 BMWs parked on it. Two older models (neither the same year, from what I could tell), and a brand new electric one.

Seaboe
Old 29 January 2019, 05:33 PM

This morning I saw what I think was a late 1950s Ford. It had the round taillights Ford used in those days, so I'm 99% sure it was a Ford. It had red and white two tone paint and a "continental" spare tire. Now I'm wondering if the continental tire was actually period correct. I know lots of people like to put them on 1950s cars, and I'm guessing some cars had them back then, either as an option or aftermarket accessory, but were they really as common as one would think based on the number you see on the road today with them?
Old 08 February 2019, 03:54 PM

Glasses

I saw a cream colored Corvette Stingray with collector plates in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven.

Seaboe
Old 08 February 2019, 08:12 PM

That's one of my favourite Corvettes - I can't remember if I've ever seen one in person. (I think I have, but can't remember).

Corvettes are odd cars for me. There are some models that look absolutely fantastic - that one among them - and others that are just dull. And the models that I see most often in the UK tend to be the dull ones (80s and 90s, for me). It seems as though they go through phases of selling more in the UK, but it's only when they've got boring cars that they do so. Having said that, the latest / current models are pretty nice-looking.