snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 22 January 2019, 01:50 AM

If I could have opted out of this, I would have. I'm happy to paint my own house, and I do a professional job. Perhaps I should sell my services to the HOA. At least I'd make sure the neighborhood still looked nice when I was done.
Old 22 January 2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
It usually ends up costing them a lot more in the end.
Since not only do they have to pay to have the work done twice, you have to spend a bunch of extra time fixing all the mistakes that the previous crew made?
Old 22 January 2019, 02:02 PM

That is some of it, Crocoduck. The other part is that when the regulators see a really bad report, they start looking more at the project to see what was left out (and to see if it was intentionally left out), and wanting to get more information about EVERYTHING, even things that are not an issue. All that back and forth with the regulators can add up quickly.
Old 22 January 2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Cervus. These people are not "professional" painters. The contractor hired people off the street, handed them brushes and said "Here, paint that with this paint. Oh, and try not to slop the paint too much. It costs money."

I'm friends with a professional who has over 30 years experience. He does everything possible to avoid the crap you're experiencing. (He painted my house.)

The contractor you're dealing with was the lowest bidder, I'm sure. I'd bet you even money the majority of the work crew have never painted anything before.
You get what you pay for. I wonder if other residents are just as pissed off as you--rightfully--are.
Old 22 January 2019, 10:38 PM

I went grocery shopping yesterday and bought a package of baby bella mushrooms. I was looking forward to frying them up today for dinner.

When I opened the package and started to wash them, I noticed kind of a grayish (but dry and not slimy) film on some of them, and there was a slightly fishy/ammonia odor The moshrooms were otherwise firm, no spots, no darkening areas under the caps. But the smell was so off-putting* I googled whether they were safe to eat. Wound up getting a lot of "when in doubt, throw it out" advice. I gave up washing them because even the ones that had been washed already were giving off the odor and threw them all out.

Time to heat up a pot pie.

*it wasn't strong enough to smell unless I brought them to my nose, but I've never noticed this odor with other baby bellas before, and it was yucky enough that I started to lose my appetite imagining eating them
Old 23 January 2019, 12:13 AM

Never take chances with fungi.
Old 23 January 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
The moshrooms
Well, there's your problem. They must have got seriously bruised thrashing about with a load of other fun guys at a metal concert!
Old 23 January 2019, 01:32 PM

Icon19

Saw what you did there Blather!
Old 23 January 2019, 11:15 PM

"My bin is absolutely full with toadstools"
"How can you tell it's full?"
"'Cause there's not mushroom inside..."
Old 24 January 2019, 01:57 AM

United Kingdom

.uk vs .gb
Is this really a thing? Egads. Maybe .gb can be post-brexit? How do people in the UK deal with this?
Old 24 January 2019, 07:40 AM

I would think that .gb should be reserved for what remains of the UK once Northern Irland votes to be united with the Republic of Ireland.
Old 24 January 2019, 08:25 AM

United Kingdom

Well, you forgot the union with Hanover.

I guess no one really uses .gb at all. It's just on this silly old list I'm using at work. (Probably to make me look foolish. Not so fast TLD list saboteur!)

Last edited by ganzfeld; 24 January 2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 24 January 2019, 09:16 AM

Australia

It got to 42 degrees celsius/108f in my state today, and even though I cooled down the house overnight and then shut all the blinds and kept the fan on my bedroom still got up to 30c/86f. Annoying but bearable, but apparently it's going to be even hotter tomorrow.

In the next state over they got up to 49.5c/121f in some areaswhich is just a tad shy of the highest recorded Australian temperature of 50.7c/123.3f.
Old 24 January 2019, 11:08 AM

It is 42 degrees here today too, which is good since it was a lot colder the past few days. However, this upsets my wife since we got a lot of rain last night, which would have been a lot of snow if it hadn't warmed up about 30 degrees.
Old 24 January 2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I guess no one really uses .gb at all.
I've certainly never seen it! According to the great wise Wikipedia :

'GB is the UK's ISO 3166 country code. However, the .uk domain had been created separately a few months before the compilation of the ISO-derived list. Consequently, .gb was never widely used and it is no longer possible to register domains under that ccTLD.'
Old 24 January 2019, 01:28 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
It is 42 degrees here today too, which is good since it was a lot colder the past few days. However, this upsets my wife since we got a lot of rain last night, which would have been a lot of snow if it hadn't warmed up about 30 degrees.
That's the weather we had yesterday. It was 10 degrees two days ago, 40 yesterday and now back to 10 again which is where it will stay for at least another week.
Old 24 January 2019, 01:31 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Well, you forgot the union with Hanover.
I'm far from nitpicking , but there is this thing about the Kingdom of Prussia annexing Hanover in 1866, and the German revolution of 1918-19 abolishing all privileges based on birth, social status or nobility.

Ther is no Kingdom of Hanover any more...
Old 27 January 2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
I would think that .gb should be reserved for what remains of the UK once Northern Irland votes to be united with the Republic of Ireland.
We could use it in the brief window between that, and Scottish independence breaking up the rest of the United Kingdom of Great Britain... then we'll be rushing to set up .en and .wa, and Scotland will have to start a war with the Seychelles for .sc*...

My thing that annoys me is that the frame of my glasses snapped last night, just through general wear and tear - I picked them up awkwardly and they bent right round at the place where the nose piece joins the eyes. I bent them back and they were OK, but I couldn't resist an adjustment to try to see where the weak spot was, and they snapped. I know I've got a spare pair somewhere because I used them for a while last summer when I thought I'd lost this pair, but I've no idea where they are. I don't want to have to use prescription sunglasses as a substitute, and it's going to be at least a week before I can manage to get a new pair, even if I just get them to put the same lenses in a new frame.

I'll just have to hope that the spare pair turns up during the round of tidying up that I'd been planning to do anyway.

*(Or Sao Tome and Principe for .st, or Sierra Leone for .sl, Somalia for .so, Senegal for .sn or Sudan for .sd. But then I'd have thought Scotland could beat any apart from Sudan, Somalia and perhaps Senegal easily anyway, so it might as well go for .sc in the first place. .sa for Saudi Arabia is right out. That would leave the Seychelles in a bind, as .se, .sh and .sy are all taken as well, but I reckon the Seychelles could take Saint Helena for .sh, and does anybody really care whether Saint Helena has its own top-level domain? Who set these up in the first place, for flip's sake? This will have to be brought up fully during the next Scottish Independence referendum, anyway. The fact that all suitable .s[x] domain names are already taken is underappreciated. Thank you for drawing it to our attention.)

(eta) Hmm, there's already a .scot. But four letters is less prestigious than two.

Last edited by Richard W; 27 January 2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 27 January 2019, 01:12 PM

United Kingdom

Thank for the link, Blatherskite.

Maybe .aa or .ab for Alba, RichardW?
Old 27 January 2019, 03:46 PM

Richard W, that's been the point of failure for every single pair of glasses that's ever broken on me.