snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 21 January 2019, 12:15 AM

Default Cov Cath wanker’s mother blames “black muslims”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...mpression=true

…Jesus that URL is confusing.

For those unaware, a bunch of students wearing MAGA hats decided it would be a brilliant idea to harass a Native American Vietnam vet.
Old 21 January 2019, 03:33 AM

Students from an all-boys Catholic School, in fact. Who were there because the school sent them out to do an anti-abortion rally.
Old 21 January 2019, 03:50 AM

Fuller Picture Emerges of Viral Video Between Native American Man and Catholic Students:

Quote:
Interviews and additional video footage suggest that an explosive convergence of race, religion and ideological beliefs — against a national backdrop of political tension — set the stage for the viral moment. Early video excerpts from the encounter obscured the larger context, inflaming outrage.
Old 22 January 2019, 01:15 PM

ETA: I wonder why 'Muslim' was the religion that popped into this mother's head when talking about a group called the Hebrew Israelites??

Let me try to piece together a rough outline of what happened here.

- A group of proselytising Hebrew Israelites are in fairly close proximity to a group of anti-abortion protesters.

- There is 'racial tension' between these two groups in particular, according to witnesses from the Native American group, although at least one of the groups (the Hebrew Israelites) were racially abusing the Native people too.

- People from the Native American group think the atmosphere is so tense they decide to move towards the anti-abortion protesters and start a prayer. At some point a group of Catholic students, there for the anti-abortion protest, surround a man playing a ceremonial drum.

- Some of the students allegedly respond to the prayer chant with racist mockery, some allegedly try to join in.

- Smiling Boy interprets the presence of the Native Americans as an attempt to bait them into conflict, but he doesn't make clear how they were allegedly doing that. Somebody takes a photo of him smiling in the face of the protester who has been surrounded.

My idea about what happened here was inaccurate in that I assumed the students initially approached the Native protesters, rather than the other way around. Perhaps the Native protesters were wrong to move in, but if so it's a matter of personal opinion about protesting etiquette and not a matter of whether the Native protesters were being hostile by praying next to the anti-abortion protesters - merely being in proximity to somebody while chanting and playing drums is not by nature an aggressive act.

However, I believe the shouts of 'Make America Great Again' and the presence of MAGA hats can be interpreted as inherently hostile. It's not merely text on clothing when it's the slogan of somebody who is to 'racial tension' what a match is to a trail of gasoline.

Last edited by Blatherskite; 22 January 2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 22 January 2019, 03:13 PM

One of the very few clear things about this confusing situation is that there was no group of Muslims involved. (Whether an individual or two happened to be in the area I have no idea.)
Old 22 January 2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
ETA: I wonder why 'Muslim' was the religion that popped into this mother's head when talking about a group called the Hebrew Israelites??
I'm guessing she didn't know what their name was. Their image in this Washington Post article show them wearing headscarfs with the Mogen David on the top/back or other headcoverings. If she saw black men with headscarfs and didn't see the star, she could easily assume Muslim.
Old 22 January 2019, 06:48 PM

If she's ignorant enough (and some people are), she might not know what the Star of David means.

ETA: but if you have no idea what religion people are, assuming that they're members of a particular one is very likely to indicate prejudice.
Old 22 January 2019, 06:59 PM

Everything I've seen about that school indicates it's a heavily prejudiced place run by heavily prejudiced staff, so parents who choose to send their kids there are probably prejudiced themselves.
Old 22 January 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Everything I've seen about that school indicates it's a heavily prejudiced place run by heavily prejudiced staff, so parents who choose to send their kids there are probably prejudiced themselves.
jumping to conclusions, based on no evidence, that the woman was prejudiced? Gotta love the irony.

The woman was confused about the religious beliefs of some cult. Heavily prejudiced? Jesus. It’s about as bad as if someone didn’t know if Scientologist were Christian or not.
Old 22 January 2019, 10:08 PM

"No evidence" is a weird way to interpret "everything I've seen about that school."
Old 22 January 2019, 10:19 PM

He said everything he’d seen about the school. Not the woman.
Old 22 January 2019, 10:31 PM

She knows that she chose to send her son to a school that he has concluded -- based on evidence -- is highly prejudiced. Your disagreeing with his conclusion about the school does not negate the evidence based on which he made it.
Old 22 January 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
She knows that she chose to send her son to a school that he has concluded -- based on evidence -- is highly prejudiced. Your disagreeing with his conclusion about the school does not negate the evidence based on which he made it.
How do you know his view is based on evidence?
ETA Anyway the obvious point is that it’s possible to send your kid to a school without knowing the principals view on race, so guessing that the mom is prejudiced is based on the school is pretty stupid
Old 22 January 2019, 10:54 PM

Sorry, not going to repeat myself just because you lack reading comprehension.
Old 23 January 2019, 12:05 AM

You said I disagreed with his opinion of the school. But I didn’t. I don’t know enough about the school to agree or disagree.
Old 23 January 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
He said everything he’d seen about the school. Not the woman.
It's a private school that the parents had to pay to send their sons to. Most people are going to research such schools before actually paying for them, which means that it's likely that the kid's mother already knew and approved of the fact that it was the kind of place that sends its students out to participate in anti-abortion rallies where they'll be wearing MAGA hats. And then, you know, there's the part about her freaking out about "black Muslims."
Old 23 January 2019, 12:32 AM

[QUOTE=crocoduck_hunter;1995120]It's a private school that the parents had to pay to send their sons to. Most people are going to research such schools before actually paying for them,[\quote]Yes they’re going to check out the school. Enough to find out the racial views of the teachers? My parents sent me to Catholic school. I doubt they made sure beforehand that that the staff was cool with Asians, but I don’t think that marks them as prejudiced
Quote:
which means that it's l And then, you know, there's the part about her freaking out about "black Muslims."
Yeah she didn’t know the religion of the people who screamed at her kid for over an hour. Not real a sign of horrible prejudice.
Old 23 January 2019, 01:01 AM

Quote:
You said I disagreed with his opinion of the school. But I didn’t.
I didn't say that. You need to work on you reading comprehension.
Old 23 January 2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that. You need to work on you reading comprehension.
OK “Your disagreeing with his conclusion about the school”differs from what I said how?
Old 23 January 2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
OK “Your disagreeing with his conclusion about the school”differs from what I said how?
Quote:
Sorry, not going to repeat myself just because you lack reading comprehension.
and characters