snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 28 November 2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Meh, use all purpose, call them scones, and get over it. (Or go with ASL's solution. Unfortunately not available to me.) There's hardly anything simpler to make than biscuits so I don't really see the point in getting fancy about it. As long as they're warm and edible.
"As long as they're warm and edible" may be sufficient for some people but not others.

Telling other people what they ought to want to eat is rarely useful. Telling people who have a strong preference for a particular flavor and/or texture that they shouldn't have such preferences isn't likely to be useful either.

I've neither eaten a proper sampling of various cooks' southern biscuits, nor eaten the ones made from the can, so I can't comment on the degree of similarity in that particular case. I will say that I've eaten some very good homemade white rolls, and they were, to my taste, nothing like the ones made from a can. Others' tastebuds and sense of texture may of course vary.
Old 29 November 2018, 12:34 AM

The canned biscuits are only like homemade biscuits in that they are both roughly the same shape. I've eaten a lot of each, they just aren't very similar in texture or taste.
Old 29 November 2018, 01:27 AM

Icon103

Your problem is you were raised to expect something better than enriched cardboard when biting into a biscuit. You’ve got to simplify, man.

And of course in this instance I use the word "man" in the hipsteresque, gender-neutral sense.
Old 29 November 2018, 03:43 PM

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Your problem is you were raised to expect something better than enriched cardboard when biting into a biscuit. You’ve got to simplify, man.

The late comedian, Lewis Grizzard, used to call canned biscuits "whomp biscuits" because of the way g-you opened them.
Old 19 January 2019, 04:50 PM

Here's a differing opinion:

Is The Power Of The Flour Really The Secret To Baking The Perfect Biscuit?

I'm not sure they're entirely right, though. That is, I'm sure that the technique, the fat, and not opening the oven door at the wrong points also affect the results; but I'm not convinced that the flour has nothing to do with it. I make bread in the wintertime; and I've noticed that different flours do indeed produce different results.

Even the article itself states that the hard flour produced a different biscuit than the White Lily; they just liked it better. Maybe it's more that not everybody agrees on what's "the perfect biscuit".
Old 19 January 2019, 06:12 PM

I have acquired some White Lily flour. My first biscuits with it, I followed the recipe on the bag, and the biscuits did turn out very light. I will try my regular recipe next, to see if it produces the flavor I like, but in a fluffier biscuit, and then see if I like it better.
Old 19 January 2019, 10:34 PM

I have some Southern Biscuit flour which I acquired recently. I will give it a try and report back.
Old 20 January 2019, 12:41 AM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
Mostly flights to warmer destinations on Allegiant/Spirit/etc. Penn Air used to fly scheduled flights there to/from Boston (still does? not sure), now United also flies there to/from Dulles.

It's convenient to fly out of PBG instead of Montreal (less traffic especially for people that do not reside on the Island of Montreal), usually with better prices, especially with discount carriers.

OY

It's difficult if you live on the north shore though because you still have to go through Montreal to get to Plattsburgh.

That being said the late Mr caramels generally flew out of PGB about once every six months but most of his weekly flights were out put of PET.
Old 20 January 2019, 06:40 PM

I made made two batches of biscuits today. I did everything the same except the flour, including cooking them at the same time on the same baking sheet.

The Southern Biscuit flour biscuits were so very light and fluffy, the all purpose flour biscuits were pretty much failures.

I used the recipe from the Southern Biscuit flour package which I noticed was very light on the fat. This is why I think the other biscuits did not come out.

My hypothesis at this point is that flour does make the difference, but you have use the right recipe for the flour.

Next, I plan to make biscuits with both flours using my standard recipe.
Old 20 January 2019, 08:20 PM

Beachlife!, that sounds like an excellent project for a cold winter weekend.
Old 20 January 2019, 09:58 PM

Old joke from my youth in Alabama:

Why do Northerners play hockey? Because they have to find something to do with their biscuits.
Old 20 January 2019, 10:23 PM

Beachlife!, thank you for being willing to do the experimentation required.
Old 20 January 2019, 11:48 PM

Glad to do it, those SB biscuits were amazing. Tomorrow, I plan to the same experiment with the other recipe.
Old 21 January 2019, 12:04 AM

Very interesting Beachlife.

The recipe I would usually use is somewhat akin to a pie crust and from memory. I'm sure it called for all-purpose flour but I usually use whatever is on hand. What makes the biggest difference IMO is how many times it's folded before they are cut.
Old 21 January 2019, 12:21 AM

It is very similar to a pie crust recipe, the main difference being I use water in my crust and milk or buttermilk in my biscuits.

Do you find that more folding is better or worse?
Old 21 January 2019, 03:00 AM

I started cooking with 'buttermilk' recipes first but I think by the time I was eight I realized I wasn't ever going to be cooking with buttermilk and adjusted.

More folding is, IMO, what gives it the layered flakiness. But I've never done an experiment with different flour. I do know that my "buttermilk pancake" recipe I've used all my whole life (disclaimer: contains no buttermilk) is not as good with cake flour so I bought both and now would be my chance except we usually don't have access to a real oven... (I have several workarounds that work fine but I can't imagine it would be relevant to anyone with a real oven).
Old 21 January 2019, 03:15 AM

It sounds like folding is one of the variables I will have to add to my list to test out. Like pie dough, most recipes say that you have to be careful not to overwork the dough, but maybe I've taken this too seriously.

Relevant to my experiment this morning though, the SB dough was easier to work so I might have given it an extra fold or two.
Old 21 January 2019, 04:43 AM

As I said before, though, I'm not all that picky about biscuits. I mean, I want them like my mom and her mom (both from the way south) made too but I don't think it's a food to get fussy about as long as it tastes fine.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 21 January 2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 21 January 2019, 01:44 PM

Ganzfeld, out of curiosity, are you adding an acid to your buttermilk recipes when not using buttermilk? (I'm assuming that's part of your "adjustment.")

I had a friend in college who was so excited to have us taste the cake she baked from scratch, only for it to turn out as what can best be described as a half-inch layer of sweetened paste. It was a buttermilk recipe, and, not having buttermilk, she decided to just use regular milk without adding any lemon juice, vinegar, etc. She hadn't understood the chemistry involved.
Old 21 January 2019, 02:52 PM

Biscuits generally have very few ingredients (flour, fat, milk). The use of milk or buttermilk is almost interchangeable. It is entirely interchangeable on the recipe I used to make biscuits yesterday. The recipe literally says 'milk or buttermilk'.