snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 18 January 2019, 06:10 PM

That's really pretty much the only thing I can think of: the people making this are Bad*, and therefore the thing itself must also be Bad.

That, or a terror of needles; but I don't think all vaccines are even given that way any longer.

*admittedly, the way some drug companies have been acting lends itself to the first part of this claim. But applying it to everyone making vaccines over the past seventy years or so doesn't, to me, seem at all plausible.
Old 18 January 2019, 11:02 PM

There’s still “ZOMG TEH AUTIZM!!1!1”, no matter how many times it’s been debunked.
Old 19 January 2019, 05:56 AM

Speaking of which, it's really frustrating to see that "autism" has been turned into the new no-longer-appropriate term for someone with Downs Syndrome.
Old 19 January 2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Speaking of which, it's really frustrating to see that "autism" has been turned into the new no-longer-appropriate term for someone with Downs Syndrome.
I may be missing something here- Down Syndrome and Autism Spectrum Disorder are two separate disorders, though there can be an overlap for people who have both. Or are you saying anti-vax people are unable to distinguish the two and just use "autism" as a catch-all term?
Old 19 January 2019, 04:14 PM

"Autism" has started being used the way a word for Downs Syndrome that begins with "r" was used for decades.

It is not a word I'm going to write.

Does that answer the question?
Old 19 January 2019, 07:44 PM

Yes, thank you for clarifying.
Old 20 January 2019, 09:39 AM

I'm not sure the word you're not writing ever referred specifically to people with Down's Syndrome. The no-longer-used term for people with Down's Syndrome would be "mongol", because (before the cause was established, I assume) people with Down's Syndrome tended to be referred to as having "mongoloid" features as a diagnostic criterion.

You don't often hear that one anyway (and maybe it was never a thing in the USA) but its shorter form "mong" still crops up occasionally as an insult. (cf Ricky Gervais).

(eta) As far as memes that annoy me go, this idea that everybody's so politically sentitive that we're "not allowed to say that!" any more annoys me.
Old 20 January 2019, 05:54 PM

I’ve definitely seen “mongoloid” in reference to DS.
Old 20 January 2019, 05:57 PM

Maybe it wasn't used much in the UK, but when I was a kid it was commonly used in the US, and not just as a derogatory. I remember when there was the push to change it.
Old 20 January 2019, 06:24 PM

If you’ll permit me, the way it would go is something like, "What is he, artistic or something?" As a surrogate for "What is he, retarded or something?"

ETA: This being said derisively after "he" does something that the questioner deems worthy of ridicule, whether due to an actual condition or not.

Last edited by ASL; 20 January 2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 20 January 2019, 06:43 PM

It used to mean the same thing as "delayed" in the phrase developmentally delayed. There's nothing inherently offensive about the word. It became awful because of how it was used. The word itself is still useful in other forms, even if that one form has become too hurtful/problematic. Fire retardant, e.g. And like lots of problematic descriptors, using it as a noun is much worse than as an adjective.

For example, depending on context, tone, etc., saying "is he gay?" is less likely to be offensive than "is he a gay."
Old 20 January 2019, 09:18 PM

A very recent meme is claiming that there were 86 relatives going with the 7 Democrats on the Nancy Pelosi Congressional mission to the Middle East which was originally going to use military aircraft. That is over 11 family members per elected member of Congress.

Is there anything to show that headcount, 86, is valid, in terms of family members?
Old 20 January 2019, 09:38 PM

The meme I saw says 86 people who aren't elected officials. It does not say they were all family members.
Old 21 January 2019, 01:59 AM

Like State Department officials, security people, and members of the press?
Old 21 January 2019, 02:53 AM

Yes, something like that. No details, but often these things start with a real number, and then badly misinterpret it.
Old 21 January 2019, 03:20 AM

Flame

I assumed they were members of the Bin Laden family, living in hiding in the US since planning the 9/11 attacks under the Clinton Administration, and now sneaking out of the country after putting the last of their kids through our fine public school system. Anchor babies, don’t you know? And now their children and their children's children, and their children’s children’s children—and so on—will be able to walk back into this country as many times as they like, whenever they like, no matter how high we build the wall.

Which means we need to build the wall!

#amiright?
Old 21 January 2019, 04:07 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
There’s still “ZOMG TEH AUTIZM!!1!1”, no matter how many times it’s been debunked.
Speaking as someone with Autism, allow me to extend several hearty “NFBSK Yous!” to any antivaxxers who might stumble onto this thread.

As so many have pointed out, that theory has been disproven to death and Andrew Wakefield can no longer call himself a doctor because of his monstrously unethical conduct, but I want to bring up some factoids that are often overlooked in discussions about him.

The GMC raked Wakefield over the coals for fudging his data, which he definitely deserves, but one of the things that really troubled them, was how Wakefield treated the children involved in his studies. Wakefield apparently put the kids through numerous unnecessary invasive procedures, such as lumbar punctures, barium meals, and colonoscopies, procedures that are probably very distressing to an adult, never mind a small child.

Here’s a link that discusses all this in handy comic form.

Basically antivaxxers weep and wail about their kids getting a brief needle stick, but cheer on a guy who put kids through much worse procedures for no reason. Truly they overflow with compassion for the children.
Old 21 January 2019, 04:42 AM

Wakefield didn't fudge his numbers, he flat out falsified them.
Old 22 January 2019, 02:21 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
I’ve definitely seen “mongoloid” in reference to DS.

I heard my mother use that term, but I always figured it was a generational thing based on the person's appearance.

So now some people are using "Down Syndrome" and "Autism" interchangeably? They're two different conditions for pity's sake!
Old 22 January 2019, 04:59 PM

Are they? I have not heard this anywhere.