snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 05 January 2019, 11:06 PM

Icon05

Why are timeshares so hard to get rid of? Is it because g-you're selling your share to the property's owner who then has this empty house and is therefore losing money? For the past two years or so, I've been hearing all these ads about how to get out a time share legally. The hoops g-you have to jump through do not make any sense--it's like trying to leave Scientology.
Anything else you want out of, you can do--trade in a car, switch makes/models of cars, leave a rental property, sell a house, etc. People do that all the time for various reasons. What makes time shares different and special? It also seems to me that g-you could sell your share to someone else who really wants it.
Old 06 January 2019, 12:24 AM

Because timeshares are usually a bad investment to begin with. They are rarely worth what people pay for them.
Old 06 January 2019, 04:54 AM

There are ongoing maintenance payments and hoa-type fees. So you can't necessarily just walk away from it, or, sometimes, even give it away. They would come after you for the fees that keep accruing.
Old 07 January 2019, 06:42 PM

My friend's parents bought a second timeshare so that when they died, my friend and his brother wouldn't fight over who inherited it. He told them the fight would be over who had to get it, and then showed them the pages on eBay where you can buy a timeshare for $1, if you just take over the annual payments. If it is a place you want to go to, it could be fine, but if not...you are stuck.

My stupid question: I keep seeing ads online and around town offering to buy diabetes blood test strips. Why? Why is there a secondary market in them? Are they really expensive or something?
Old 07 January 2019, 07:29 PM

My understanding is that yes, they are expensive, but some insurance plans give you more than you need.
Old 07 January 2019, 07:37 PM

Mine are expensive without insurance, cheap with insurance. My insurance will allow me to buy enough to test twice a day everyday which I don't think many diabetics do.
Old 07 January 2019, 07:44 PM

Glasses

On the diabetes strip question--some of the sellers may be people (like my BIL) who switched to a method of reading blood sugar that doesn't require the test strips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
If it is a place you want to go to, it could be fine, but if not...you are stuck.
I can't imagine wanting to go to the same place for vacation every year, which is another requirement of most timeshares. I do have a friend who has one, but it's tied to the Hilton hotel chain, and she can do exchanges (including converting her time share to Hilton points).

As for me, I still think they're a waste of money.

Seaboe
Old 07 January 2019, 08:06 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
...I can't imagine wanting to go to the same place for vacation every year, which is another requirement of most timeshares...
Agreeing. Even my favorite places on the planet I couldn't imagine visiting more than a few times over my lifetime. There are people who are happy having the same vacation year after year, I'm just not one of them.
Old 08 January 2019, 01:58 AM

Even if you really do want to vacation at the same place every year, is a timeshare really any better than buying property and renting it out when you're not using it?
Old 08 January 2019, 02:33 AM

I would think you could rent from a timeshare owner much cheaper than being a time share owner and with 100% less obligation.
Old 08 January 2019, 11:32 AM

My parents, now retired, have a timeshare that allows them to swap for other locations in the network. So although they have a reliable New Hampshire resort location to use for two weeks a year (they like to invite family up over Labor Day weekend), they have also used it for other vacations up and down the east coast, including New Orleans. Not sure what they're paying.

I do know that they carefully researched this one, and that they weren't happy with a lot of the offerings they looked at.
Old 09 January 2019, 05:04 PM

I was reading not that long ago about various reasons why plastic bags aren't routinely accepted for curbside recycling, one of which was the potential for a bag (or more likely, pieces of a bag) to get mixed in with paper products. The upshot was that even a relatively small amount of contamination could ruin entire batches of recycled paper. My question is, what about envelopes with "windows", the plastic film on tissue box openings, etc.? Should those be torn off prior to recycling?
Old 09 January 2019, 05:17 PM

Our town's recycling website says that plastic bags have the potential to get caught in machinery during sorting, not that it could contaminate batches. Also, they don't have anyone to buy plastic bags.
Old 09 January 2019, 05:27 PM

Shifty Eyes

Kind of a joke question, but I do wonder: if Pearl and the Feline Oligarchy are in the living room when Dear Leader is on TV, would that constitute animal cruelty?
One of us (DH or I) could chase them out, but suppose they return? Pearl and the FO do like being with us.
Old 09 January 2019, 05:34 PM

Cats are much smarter than Trump supporters and know enough to ignore him.
Old 09 January 2019, 07:45 PM

I had one of those "Trump breathing" compilation videos on this morning on my phone and my cat was trotting around trying to figure out what and where it was. She was not happy. Smart girl.
Old 10 January 2019, 02:28 AM

Mouse

Cats and dogs have a sixth sense when it comes to these sort of things. If Person X gets them skittish or raises their hackles, there’s usually a reason and often, it turns out that they’re right on the money, or skritches and treats since they don’t have much use for money.
Old 10 January 2019, 04:28 PM

Glasses

I have lost a lot of weight, at first due to dieting for my health and then due to a serious illness. So, I have to get new clothes. Before the diet/illness I wore a size 26/28W. Yup, a big girl. I am still a big girl at around a size 18W trousers and maybe a size 16W blouse.

My stupid question is what are junior sizes and is there a difference between a size 16, a size XL, size 15/17, and a size 16W?

A friend gave me some clothes that are now too big for her and they fit and have some of those sizes. (They are also lovely! This was the first time in a nearly 40 year friendship that we even briefly wore the same size.)

My biggest problem is buying new clothes. They confuse me. Do I bypass the 15/17 on clearance? Will the 16W be too big? I am quite broke, so I shop in places where trying things on is a problem. I have never been this small as an adult, and was even bigger much of my teen years.

Morning
I did figure out what "jeggings" are.
Old 10 January 2019, 05:22 PM

I would have assumed a junior size was a kid's (or teen's) size, but if your adult friend was wearing it, I could be wrong.

Unfortunately sizes differ so much between brands and are so arbitrary (particularly XL vs. 16), that I've found it's pretty unavoidable to have to try things on. Those random numbers should all be roughly the right size though.
Old 10 January 2019, 05:50 PM

Junior sizes are adult sizes, though probably originally meant for teenagers. Back in the 1950's and 1960's, junior sizes used to be different proportions than misses' (and women's were different proportions than either): junior were shorter waisted and I think the hip and breast to waist proportions may have also been slightly different. This isn't true any longer, most of the time; and unfortunately sizing is so erratic, both between brands and even between styles in the same brand, that women's sizes without a size chart for the specific item are next to useless.

Good luck.