snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 02 January 2019, 04:39 PM

Saw Mary Poppins Returns with the family - liked it a lot. I think it was incredibly ballsy to make this particular sequel, and for the most part they pulled it off well. While the songs were fine, I don't think that any are as catchy as those from the original. However, the music, effects and especially the sets/costumes managed to feel of a piece with the original. (The opening was a spot-on match to the incredible glass-painted London scenery of the first film, and they even used some of the original film's concept art color studies as background for the opening credits sequence.) Glad we saw it in the theater rather than waiting for video/streaming; the visuals were worth it.
Old 02 January 2019, 04:56 PM

I took my dad to see "They Will Not Grow Old" last week. It is a bunch of WWI footage that was colorized and remastered by Peter Jackson so that it looks more current. More current except for the teeth. It was amazing seeing how many of the soldiers had just incredibly BAD teeth, to the point of wondering how they could eat.
I think the local theater figured "Hey, a lot of people need something to give to Dad for Christmas, let's put a World War 1 documentary in the theater!" because the theater was full of people with their dad (or uncle, maybe.) It was really well done, and very interesting. There was a 30 minute short after the show about how Peter Jackson managed to get the films looking modern, but my dad didn't want to stay for that.
Old 02 January 2019, 08:55 PM

The teeth thing is startling. Even more so when you realise that those that you see with “Good” teeth have probably paid to have all their own removed and replaced by falsers.

Last edited by Hans Off; 02 January 2019 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02 January 2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Saw Mary Poppins Returns with the family - liked it a lot. I think it was incredibly ballsy to make this particular sequel, and for the most part they pulled it off well. While the songs were fine, I don't think that any are as catchy as those from the original. However, the music, effects and especially the sets/costumes managed to feel of a piece with the original. (The opening was a spot-on match to the incredible glass-painted London scenery of the first film, and they even used some of the original film's concept art color studies as background for the opening credits sequence.) Glad we saw it in the theater rather than waiting for video/streaming; the visuals were worth it.
I saw it with my family over the holidays as well. To add to this, I particularly liked the return to classic hand-drawn Disney style animation for one of the fantasy sequences. That really helped it replicate the feel of the original.
Old 02 January 2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
I took my dad to see "They Will Not Grow Old" last week. It is a bunch of WWI footage that was colorized and remastered by Peter Jackson so that it looks more current. More current except for the teeth. It was amazing seeing how many of the soldiers had just incredibly BAD teeth, to the point of wondering how they could eat.
When I watched Saving Private Ryan, Matt Damon's sparkling white, perfectly straight and even teeth struck me as jarring in a WWII-era character from modest means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
The teeth thing is startling. Even more so when you realise that those that you see with “Good” teeth have probably paid to have all their own removed and replaced by falsers.
You mean the ones in the WWI footage, right?
Old 03 January 2019, 04:36 AM

Mouse

I saw Vice. Initially, I was opposed to it, because I highly suspect that Dick Cheney is this reality’s version of Randall Flagg, but decided to give it a shot. I’m sure the people involved with the makeup for this movie will receive an Oscar nod, and they do deserve it, but prosthetics can only do so much. Credit has to be given to Christian Bale who managed to get so many aspects of the character right, able to not only mimic Cheney’s voice, but also his mannerisms and some of the subtler aspects of how he carried himself.

I still think Dick Cheney is this universe’s Randall Flagg, but the movie managed to intrigue me more than I thought it would. The bits involving his daughter, Mary, were really interesting. The movie has a scene where she comes out to her parents. She clearly expects it to go badly, since her parents are super-conservative, but it doesn’t. Neither Dick nor Lynne Cheney ever display any overt signs of bigotry towards her. In the part about the 2000 election, there’s a discussion where W.’s campaign strategists are like, “Yeah, we know about your daughter, but we need to cater to the religious voters by using the Gay bogeyman card.” Cheney agrees to go along with this, but says while he has no problem with others in the campaign uttering anti-Gay rhetoric, he himself will not.

I am well aware that this is hardly a ringing endorsement of Cheney’s character, but the subplot gains additional interest later on in the movie, when his elder daughter, Liz, runs for Congress. Liz is getting beaten in the polls by her opponent who attacks her for prevaricating on the Gay issue. She talks about this with her parents and is like, “What should I do?” We do not see their response, but the movie cuts to Liz attacking the Gay Rights Movement on TV. Mary Cheney is incensed, because she knows that Liz wouldn’t have gone on the attack, if she didn’t have her parents’ approval.

I don’t know how accurately the film reflects the inner workings of the Cheney family, if Cheney really did care about Mary Cheney and had no issues with her sexuality. Though at best, Cheney is an opportunist. Maybe he doesn’t personally hate Gays, but being willing to throw them under the bus for political advantages, is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Since my headcanon regarding Cheney’s family had them being synthoids created by Cobra to provide the illusion that Dick Cheney is a human and not an eldritch horror barely masquerading as one, I’m at a loss when it comes to these parts. I also am not sure whether the portrayal of Lynne Cheney as a potential Lady Macbeth is true as well.

Since the story really cannot be told without him, George W. Bush is in the movie, though he is so seldom seen or heard onscreen he barely qualifies as a minor character. Sam Rockwell plays him and while he gets the voice right, the makeup just isn’t as good as it is with Cheney.

I have mixed feelings about how W. is depicted. While I think it is mostly accurate, I feel it comes dangerously close to downplaying his roll in all the damage his administration did. The working relationship between Cheney and Bush was puppet-master and puppet, I cannot go along with memes that paint Bush as a complete naïf who had no idea what Cheney and those men in suits were doing, honest!

I understand the nostalgia people have for the Bush II administration—the rancid Cheeto-in-Chief currently in charge could probably make someone nostalgic for any past president, including James Buchanan*—but the plain and simple truth is that Bush II did incalculable damage to his country. A large reason we’re in such a mess right now, is due to how greatly he expanded the powers of the presidency, thus enabling Trump to have a whole lot of power with very few checks on it. The Bush II administration really advanced the Unitary Executive Theory (which is discussed in the film) and we’re all paying for it.

*I thought about using William Henry Harrison, but it felt too easy. I had hoped Trump would get sworn in, realize the presidency involves a lot of hard work, then rage-quit and manage to break Harrison’s record for shortest tenure, but that didn’t happen. Though if Trump had rage-quit, his followers would do what they’ve always done, perform some epic turd-polishing about how this is actually a brave stroke of bravery by Brave Sir Donald. When responsibility reared its ugly head, Trump bravely turned his tail and ran...
Old 04 January 2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
When responsibility reared its ugly head, Trump bravely turned his tail and ran...
You’re sticking with the subverted rhyme?

Not a movie, but Dad and I watched the first six episodes of Radar Men From The Moon. He…wasn’t a fan. Probably because I kept pointing out such idiotic things as how everything except Cody’s gun must be made of brass (in the first episode, Retik (the lead baddie) disarms Cody (the hero) with a magnet…which doesn’t affect anything else in the room) and…well…Misery is not on the list of preferred books in this house (every episode cops out on the previous cliffhanger, similar to what Annie famously rants about).

In fact, one sticking point I found is how Krog’s (the Dragon) two henchmen seem to be two criminals who really really suck at crime. In one episode, they decide to kidnap Cody (for money they need to fund the operation), but they get his girlfriend instead, with the idea that they will lead Cody into a trap. So then they get the bright idea to shoot him while he is in pursuit (this leads to the hilarious image of Cody, flying via the usual Arse Toaster, pulling his gun as though he was just lying on his stomach). Also, kidnapping Cody would be a stupid idea anyway, as they knew the risk he posed.
Old 04 January 2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I still think Dick Cheney is this universe’s Randall Flagg, but the movie managed to intrigue me more than I thought it would. The bits involving his daughter, Mary, were really interesting. The movie has a scene where she comes out to her parents. She clearly expects it to go badly, since her parents are super-conservative, but it doesn’t. Neither Dick nor Lynne Cheney ever display any overt signs of bigotry towards her. In the part about the 2000 election, there’s a discussion where W.’s campaign strategists are like, “Yeah, we know about your daughter, but we need to cater to the religious voters by using the Gay bogeyman card.” Cheney agrees to go along with this, but says while he has no problem with others in the campaign uttering anti-Gay rhetoric, he himself will not.

I am well aware that this is hardly a ringing endorsement of Cheney’s character, but the subplot gains additional interest later on in the movie, when his elder daughter, Liz, runs for Congress. Liz is getting beaten in the polls by her opponent who attacks her for prevaricating on the Gay issue. She talks about this with her parents and is like, “What should I do?” We do not see their response, but the movie cuts to Liz attacking the Gay Rights Movement on TV. Mary Cheney is incensed, because she knows that Liz wouldn’t have gone on the attack, if she didn’t have her parents’ approval.
If anything, this makes him look worse, not better. At least to me. I've always held people who were willing to sell out the rights of others purely for political gain lower than people who were genuinely hostile to those people. Dealing with honest hate is better to me than dealing with someone who pretends friendship or tolerance while simultaneously supporting those who do hate you.
Old 05 January 2019, 02:31 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
If anything, this makes him look worse, not better. At least to me. I've always held people who were willing to sell out the rights of others purely for political gain lower than people who were genuinely hostile to those people. Dealing with honest hate is better to me than dealing with someone who pretends friendship or tolerance while simultaneously supporting those who do hate you.
I too prefer open and honest hatred, but I dunno. The weird thing is I got the impression was that Cheney somehow wanted to make it so both his kids win, but couldn’t quite figure out how to make it happen.

Then again, I’m still fairly certain that Dick Cheney is our universe’s version of Randall Flagg and his family are all synthoids created by Cobra to provide the illusion that Cheney is human. All those years ago, when Cheney underwent that heart transplant, nothing will convince me that he had it done the traditional way. I think he went all Mola Ram and ripped the still beating heart from someone else’s chest, before placing inside his own.
Old 07 January 2019, 08:57 PM

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I saw it with my family over the holidays as well. To add to this, I particularly liked the return to classic hand-drawn Disney style animation for one of the fantasy sequences. That really helped it replicate the feel of the original.
Agreed. I really missed that in recent years. I loved the movie, and also enjoyed all the cameos (although it took a few diggings on the net to figure out who Karen Dotrice was playing). And Dick van Dyke still has it. Also enjoyed the references to the first movie, which BTW was the first I saw in the theater, way back when I was five years old (yes, I'm showing my age here). And I loved the songs, especially "The Place Where Lost Things Go", which had me in tears. All in all, I went back to being a five yeors old child again. And we really need these kind of feel-good movies today.
Old 07 January 2019, 10:50 PM

Managed to see Bohemian Rhapsody this evening finally.

It’s pretty good, wildly exceeded my expectations, The dialogue from time to time was a little hack, but that aside a really enjoyable film. Rami Malek’s Freddie was astonighingly good.
Old 08 January 2019, 01:42 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post

I'll third how good Mary Poppins Returns is.

My daughters enjoyed the music and son the visuals. I enjoyed the cameos.
Old 08 January 2019, 10:40 AM

Devil

Quote:
I too prefer open and honest hatred, but I dunno. The weird thing is I got the impression was that Cheney somehow wanted to make it so both his kids win, but couldn’t quite figure out how to make it happen.

Then again, I’m still fairly certain that Dick Cheney is our universe’s version of Randall Flagg and his family are all synthoids created by Cobra to provide the illusion that Cheney is human. All those years ago, when Cheney underwent that heart transplant, nothing will convince me that he had it done the traditional way. I think he went all Mola Ram and ripped the still beating heart from someone else’s chest, before placing inside his own.

Did you see where Christian Bale thanked Satan for inspiration on playing Cheney?
Old 12 January 2019, 07:09 PM

I watched the final installment of Netflix's Anime Godzilla movie trilogy and I wasn't really into most of it (the main protagonist just wasn't very compelling and that dragged down pretty much every other element with it) but I thought their depiction of King Ghidorah as [spoiler]a Lovecraft-esque elder god from a different dimension who existed outside our local concepts of time and space and which could only come to Earth if humanity was tricked into summoning it worked pretty well and was an interesting take on the character.
Their reinterpretation of Godzilla as [spoiler]an inevitable and inescapable occurrence for any civilization whose technology advances to a certain point was a bit of an underwhelming take on that character but I guess we can write that off as [spoiler]the point of view that the aliens adopted to rationalise their beliefs.

I guess it also didn't help that the animation style felt stiff and lifeless and the general palette of the films was muddy and dull.
Old 12 January 2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I watched the final installment of Netflix's Anime Godzilla movie trilogy and I wasn't really into most of it I guess it also didn't help that the animation style felt stiff and lifeless and the general palette of the films was muddy and dull.
Didn't realize it had dropped; I'll have to make some time to watch it. The first installment was fairly underwhelming, and the middle installment rose up to "interesting", so I had/have hopes that, story-wise, the finale will at least keep up the level of interest, and of course more preferrably raise it. I can't argue much with your assessment of the animation style and palette, unfortunately.
Old 13 January 2019, 06:18 PM

Don't get your hopes up. I found this one to be the worst of the three. It didn't even manage to have a proper kaiju fight, just a bunch of metaphysical technobabble.

And then the main character ends up deciding that he just doesn't feel like living and gets Godzilla to kill him, leaving behind the Mothra girl who's pregnant with what's implied to be his kid.
Old 14 January 2019, 04:23 PM

Antboy 3: Finally got around to watching this one. Honestly, the experience was marred by the fact that I would be going through hoops to get it in the original Danish (it’s available in dub form).

In the movie, Dr Gæmelkrå (Nicolas Bro) is released from prison and is inclined to go back to the straight and narrow, because as much as he hates Antboy, he really regrets the destruction he caused as The Flea. Meanwhile, Pelle (Oscar Dietz) is looking to hang up his Antboy suit and go to boarding school with his girlfriend Ida (Amalie Kruse Jensen), as crime has gone way down and Red Fury (Astrid Juncher-Benzon) is expected back any day now. Also, there’s a new superhero on the block, with the skills of Batman (with a bit of Tony Stark) and the mask of Kamen Rider, who unintentionally lowers Pelle’s self-esteem.

Unfortunately, Gæmelkrå’s old employer, ExoFarm, is under new management. And while he’s left that life behind him, they want the DNA-altering serum he developed, as well as an exoskeleton suit that they want for the military. To that end, he gets Antboy and the unnamed hero to team up to fight the new CEO.

Can I at least just say that it’s really weird to hear kids name-dropping Rob Liefeld?
Old 14 January 2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Can I at least just say that it’s really weird to hear kids name-dropping Rob Liefeld?
I guess that Deadpool's massive popularity made that somewhat inevitable.
Old 14 January 2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Don't get your hopes up. I found this one to be the worst of the three.[/COLOR]
Welp. Watched it. I did that thing. Mmm-hmm.

Yeah... OK, here's my one-line critique of the series: For a series of Godzilla movies that don't have much Godzilla in them, it's kind of interesting, but not great, nor even good, really; and it's too dragged-out to let it be anything other than kind of interesting.
Old 15 January 2019, 03:51 AM

Mouse

I have to admit I’ve never really been that into Transformers—G.I. Joe and ThunderCats are my bag when it comes to 80s cartoons—but Bumblebee was getting Into the Spider-verse level praise and I thought I’d give it a shot. I don’t like it as much as Spider-verse, but it’s a pretty solid film. I guess after the last Transformers movie went a little too stupid, even by Michael Bay standards, they decided to do a soft reboot, and really they did a good job.

After the nonstop, overblown spectacle of the Bay films, they made the smart decision to tone it down, make the action smaller, and the cast smaller. Rather than god-only-knows-how-many giant robots smashing the hell out of each other with occasional sightings of Shia LaBeouf or Megan Fox, the story is mostly about the friendship between a teenage girl and her giant robot. There are the big action scenes—of course, there are big action scenes—but even they are smaller in scale than the other movies.

The smaller scope allows for more intimate character moments and the characters are able to demonstrate actual personality/feelings. I know it had been done in other films, but Bumblebee being unable to speak, does lead to one of my favorite storytelling tropes: where two sides, usually a human character and a nonhuman one, have to figure out how to communicate with each other. Like in How to Train Your Dragon, where Hiccup and Toothless spend many scenes trying to feel the other out, learn each other’s language, and find some way of bridging the gap between them.

I will say that chica does have a spacious garage. And I’m glad someone (John Cena, if you’re wondering) was like, “Uh, they call themselves Decepticons. Do you really think we should trust them?”

And I watched Face/Off on Netflix and dammit, I just love it. It’s a spectacular idea to begin with, hiring Hollywood’s biggest hams then putting them in a movie where they have to act like the other, all of it coming together in the kind of ridiculous awesome action scenes that only John Woo can provide. Has anyone ever figured out his thing regarding doves?

Since it was directed in the 90s when studios weren’t scared of R-Ratings, they get to go all out. The action scenes, while naturally over-the-top in the classic John Woo form, actually felt like they had more weight than many of today. Maybe it’s the lack of CGI; even though it’s all carefully choreographed and controlled as much as possible, the action feels more realistic when there’s an actual human body being thrown around, not some animated figure created in a computer. I know it’s a good thing that we have CGI, but I still wish we could have some kind of happy medium between practical effects and CGI.

I wonder if there’s some issues with the insurance when it comes to these films. Maybe they’re less willing to insure action movies unless they feel said scenes are as neutered as possible. I dunno. Either way, I loved the movie, though when it comes to predicting the future, about the only thing they got right, was the future existence of black-site, off-the-books secret American prisons.