snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 28 April 2016, 05:16 PM

Rabbit Stellar cast announced as classic novel Watership Down lives on with new mini-series

Quote:
Beloved novel Watership Down will continue its adventure as today BBC One and Netflix announce the classic tale will be reinterpreted into a four-part animated mini-series set to air in 2017. The series will premiere on BBC One in the UK; and worldwide, outside of the UK, on Netflix.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...p-down-casting

Here's to a new generation of children being traumatized by cute little bunnies dying horribly!
Old 28 April 2016, 05:40 PM

Spoilers! And text
Old 28 April 2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Here's to a new generation of children being traumatized by cute little bunnies dying horribly!
Or maybe not so much trauma

BBC remake Watership Down with less violence to avoid 'scarring' children

"The show’s executive producer told the Telegraph the 2017 version will not just tone down the levels of on-screen violence to make it more appropriate for children, but give a boost to its female characters."
Old 28 April 2016, 07:26 PM

Glasses

Yeah, I noticed right off the bat that TGG's quote said the novel would be "reinterpreted." Sounds like it will reinterpreted the way Mr. Bowdler reinterpreted Shakespeare to make it appropriate for us poor, weak-minded and feeble women.

Watership Down is one of the earliest modern examples of not all animated movies are for children! (I don't count Fritz the Cat, since the X-rating kind of made that explicit ).

Deaboe
Old 28 April 2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Watership Down is one of the earliest modern examples of not all animated movies are for children! (I don't count Fritz the Cat, since the X-rating kind of made that explicit ).
I wish you would have told my mother that before she let me watch it when I was a child. I definitely count myself in as one of those traumatized children. I can remember how upset I was even now.
Old 28 April 2016, 08:38 PM

Reading

Back when this first came out in mass-market paperback in the US (mid 70s), my mother grabbed it at random in a supermarket as she bought my dad books and magazines every time she went shopping. I remember being intrigued by the cover, I think, but was never allowed to touch his books until he was finished with them and they were sure that it was suitable reading for my age (I was about ten but read above my grade level). I remember my mom asking him what the book was about when he started it and he replied, "I'm not sure, but I think it's about rabbits!"
Old 28 April 2016, 09:21 PM

Icon97

"The show’s executive producer told the Telegraph the 2017 version will not just tone down the levels of on-screen violence to make it more appropriate for children, but give a boost to its female characters."

Watered-down Watership Down.

(Well, somebody had to say it.)
Old 28 April 2016, 10:03 PM

Sigh. What's even the point of Watership Down if you're making it "child friendly"?

I read that book when I was in middle school and was utterly spellbound by it. He later wrote a sequel that amounted to a lot of nothing :/
Old 29 April 2016, 11:17 AM

Rabbit

I love this book.
I try to explain it to people sometimes.

"It's a story about these rabbits..."
"Rabbits?"
"Yeah, rabbits and..."
"Ok, I'm going to go now."
Old 29 April 2016, 03:22 PM

Glasses

I was just old enough when the movie came out (18) to realize that parents were making the false connection that animation = children's movie. I'd hope that wouldn't be an automatic conclusion today, when there are a lot more animated movies for adults, but I wouldn't count on it.

Back in '78, the only two strictly adult animated movies I was aware of were Fritz the Cat and Ralph Bakshi's Wizards (I wasn't aware of the Lord of the Rings movie right away, although I did see it in the theater).

Seaboe
Old 29 April 2016, 06:37 PM

My excitement rose like I'd just seen a verdant meadow in the distance only to be dashed like it turned out they were developing a Tesco on it.

I don't agree that Watership Down, either the book or the original film adaptation, is not suitable for children. It is - but it's for older children. I get that producers hope to make more money by extending the demographic of their films/TV shows, but the mental capabilities of children differs so drastically from one year to the next. What is suitable for a ten year old is not necessarily suitable for a six year old, and nor should it have to be just because it's got the 'children' label on it. There isn't nearly as much popular media out there for older children when compared to what is already available for younger kids and teenagers.

I saw it as a child and I loved it, scary bits and all. In fact I think I loved it mostly because it had scary bits and sad bits. I watched it at an age when I liked to feel a bit more grown up and to be challenged. I wanted films with emotional journeys, not just bright colours and quick movement.

The original Watership Down is also, in my mind, a perfect film. It more than stands the test of time. The only issue I can find with it that doesn't hold up to scrutiny is the lack of female characters, but I don't think that by itself demands a remake. So why remake it?

For the love of El-Ahrairah, BBC, don't water down Watership Down!
Old 29 April 2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post
I love this book.
I try to explain it to people sometimes.

"It's a story about these rabbits..."
"Rabbits?"
"Yeah, rabbits and..."
"Ok, I'm going to go now."
Do you mention that the author spends hundreds of pages building a rich, evocative language so that the reader can develop enough fluency to understand an "eat NFBSK" insult at the end?
Old 29 April 2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Do you mention that the author spends hundreds of pages building a rich, evocative language so that the reader can develop enough fluency to understand an "eat NFBSK" insult at the end?
I haven't read the book in, seriously, thirty years. But I remember the exact line.
Old 07 December 2018, 11:22 AM

Rabbit

Old 07 December 2018, 05:17 PM

It's the uncanny valley of bunnies!
Old 07 December 2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
I haven't read the book in, seriously, thirty years. But I remember the exact line.
Silflay hraka, u embleer rah!

(let's see how well I remember that line....)
Old 07 December 2018, 07:22 PM

That's the line!

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's that the trailer has not-quite-finished texture and/or lighting effects in some shots (hopefully, anyway), but the animation style really does not make me want to see this particular adaptation. Looks a little too much like video game cutscenes for my taste.

Last edited by musicgeek; 07 December 2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09 December 2018, 10:23 AM

Rabbit

I hope they use Bright Eyes as the theme, which was re-recorded for the 1990s version.
Old 09 December 2018, 10:38 AM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I was just old enough when the movie came out (18) to realize that parents were making the false connection that animation = children's movie.
Watership Down was one of the first books that I remember buying with my own money. It was the film tie-in paperback edition and it was in one of the promotional cardboard display stands next to the checkouts at the (long-since gone) Dillon's in South Street, Chichester. I was probably six - that's how old I remember being, and the film came out in 1978 so it fits.

I picked it up because it was about rabbits and I liked the cover picture, and probably read the back. Mum had read me The Lord of the Rings as a bedtime story before this, and I read it myself around this time (it was the first adult book I read, I think; I'd already read The Hobbit) so I would have known I liked big chunky books about journeys.

I remember asking mum if I could buy it because it was about rabbits, and the guy behind the counter said "You know it's not a children's book, don't you?". Mum presumably looked at it and decided it was OK, and I paid for it myself. I'm not sure if I'd saved up my pocket money or if I had some birthday money, or maybe mum decided I could have it as a present, but I'm fairly sure I handed over the money myself and it was the first adult book I bought...

I read it back then, and I've re-read it at least once since, but probably not since I was a child. I don't know whether to re-read it now (when I get a chance at least) and disturb my memories of it, or not!

(eta) Despite the man in the bookshop recognising that it was "not a children's book" I've just read the Wikipedia article and it seems that all the reviewers at the time made the false connection that rabbits = children's book, too. Or maybe they were just embarrassed to like it. Anyway, children's book or not, I read it and really liked it when I was six. I still have that copy...

Last edited by Richard W; 09 December 2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09 December 2018, 03:15 PM

I tried a couple of times to read Watership Down (as an adult) but could never get very far with it, because it seemed to me (though I don't now remember details) that the rabbits were behaving way too much like humans, and not anywhere near enough like rabbits.

-- if that insult is what I'm reading it as, that wouldn't be an insult in Rabbit.