snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 20 November 2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Genuine People Personalities! The elevator is probably bored with the whole up and down thing.
MAybe he need's some hitchhiker counseling him.

If I swear I didn't have to check the links, can I claim points for reference?
Old 21 November 2017, 05:41 PM

I just learned the correct pronunciation of gnocchi. I made a chorizo sauce for some gnocchi, and actually had to say the word, so I looked it up online. Not what I was expecting.
Old 22 November 2017, 04:45 AM

Three weeks ago I had gnocchi at the restaurant we went to celebrate my cousins 18th birthday. I don't know if I have ever had properly prepared gnocchi before. So good.
Old 27 November 2017, 05:59 AM

Disney

So dd asked me "What kind of animal is Mickey supposed to be?" and it occurred to me: Maybe the "Mouse" thing is not just a surname. Maybe Mickey is actually a rodent of unusual size. I looked it up and, despite the fact that Mickey Mouse hasn't displayed any typical rodent-like behaviour since the 1930's - I mean, he isn't even somewhat like a mouse - Disney still claims he is a mouse. Also, I found out my dear dd is not alone. Many many people wonder what kind of animal he is.
Old 27 November 2017, 05:17 PM

Well, you have people asking what Goofy is.
Old 27 November 2017, 05:35 PM

Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Well, you have people asking what Goofy is.
Goofy's model was based on the earlier character Dippy Dawg and his full name has been attributed as George Geef, Goofy Goof or Goofus D. Dawg at various times, which should hopefully clear things up for those people.

Here's a better question: what species are the Animaniac siblings Yakko, Wakko, and Dot supposed to be?

Spoiler: they're not suppposed to be any animal in particular. Show creator Tom Ruegger says that their species is “Cartoonus Characterus"
Old 27 November 2017, 05:45 PM

He was originally named Dippy Dawg and he is drawn to look almost the same as Pluto, which would suggest he is a dog. If so, that just leads to the follow-up question, why does Goofy talk and wear clothes and Pluto doesn't?

The answer is, of course, that Goofy is a result of Doctor Moreau-type experiments by Yzma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
If I swear I didn't have to check the links, can I claim points for reference?
Sure.
Old 26 December 2017, 01:24 PM

The saying, "Discretion is the better part of valor." I understood "discretion" as meaning tact--saying nothing and minding one's own business. When I realized that "discretion" means judgment, I understood the saying--be brave, but don't be reckless.
Old 10 January 2018, 03:11 PM

Not so much as figured out, but recently noticed.

Major Spoiler Space

Near the end of Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America gives a "last stand" speech in voice over while the various Avengers are shown getting ready for a last push. A line in Cap's speech is "If you get hurt, hurt them back. If you get killed... walk it off." He says the "killed" part while not-mutant Quicksilver is shown. Quicksilver is the only Avenger to be killed during the battle.
Old 10 January 2018, 11:39 PM

Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
So dd asked me "What kind of animal is Mickey supposed to be?" and it occurred to me: Maybe the "Mouse" thing is not just a surname. Maybe Mickey is actually a rodent of unusual size. I looked it up and, despite the fact that Mickey Mouse hasn't displayed any typical rodent-like behaviour since the 1930's - I mean, he isn't even somewhat like a mouse - Disney still claims he is a mouse. Also, I found out my dear dd is not alone. Many many people wonder what kind of animal he is.
He also never talks directly to the audience when portraying a character, because a 'rodent-aside' would kill him.
Old 11 January 2018, 02:07 AM

Today I learned that A Turtle Named Mack is back! We were worried about you a while back when you'd been absent for a while.

Welcome back to EE and Trish, too! Now we need to find folks like MickeyIsAGyrl and HyperSquirrel...
Old 11 January 2018, 05:10 AM

ATNM, that's a groaner!

-- and yes, nice to see you here.
Old 11 January 2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
The saying, "Discretion is the better part of valor." I understood "discretion" as meaning tact--saying nothing and minding one's own business. When I realized that "discretion" means judgment, I understood the saying--be brave, but don't be reckless.
Yep, use your discretion and avoid unnecessary risks. One of the earliest uses of the idiom was in Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part I when Falstaff avoids getting killed during a battle by shamefully pretending to already be dead.
Old 26 February 2018, 07:13 PM

China

Something that had been on my mind for some time: what’s the deal with Shen Yun?

For those who haven't seen the ads, it's a touring show that promises to present five millennia of Chinese civilization through music, dance, acrobatics, etc. Although not the type of thing I usually spend my live entertainment dollar on, it looks like a very nice show. But the advertising seems a bit… forceful.

First, the TV ads. They're not too over the top, but as I listen to the pitch by a forceful-yet-velvety voice I get the sense that by not attending I am insulting all who ever contributed to that rich Chinese culture. Then there are the posters. I live outside New York City, East of Queens, but posters promoting performances in Manhattan (and New Jersey and Connecticut!) are everywhere in my neighborhood – even in shop windows that display no other posters. They have quotes of extreme praise (along the lines of "greatest show you'll ever see") and even praise the people being quoted, mentioning awards they've won and such. A woman who gave me a Shen Yun flyer at a local supermarket spoke with a level of enthusiasm that hinted that her children's continued existence hinged on my buying tickets. Overall, I got the creepy feeling there was something hidden under the surface. So I did a bit of research and found the results interesting enough to share.

The most surprising thing is they're not based in China. In fact they're not very welcome in China, for reasons that will be obvious. Their home is Cuddebackville, New York, in that vast expanse us folks in the greater NYC area call Upstate. They were started in NYC by members of Falun Gong, the anti-communist religious group banned in China. There is a religious aspect to the show, and it appears that one of its points (I don't know how subtle or blatant) is that China's history and culture are being attacked and destroyed – by Communism.

So the aggressiveness and urgency I feel in Shen Yun's promotion is understandable. They want to bring in as many people as possible to see a spectacular show about the glory of China, but use the opportunity to deliver what they see as an important religiously-based political message.
And now you know… the rest of the story.
Old 26 February 2018, 08:17 PM

CF- a friend of mine who I believe works in a law office received an advertising email describing all the benefits of seeing Shen Yun, claiming the show to be physically, mentally, and spiritually healing. I forget the more specific quotes. Anyway, I think of that email every time I see the commercials for it. I must admit I'm pretty curious and would be interested in seeing it someday.
Old 13 March 2018, 12:39 AM

I just realized the term "pipe dream" refers to smoking from an opium pipe.

When I was a kid I pictured some kind of, like, drainage pipe or something. I knew the term meant something fanciful or unattainable, but I never really understood it. Now it makes sense.
Old 13 March 2018, 12:45 AM

I see flyers for Shen Yun sometimes in my office. I do have several co-workers who are Chinese immigrants.
Old 13 March 2018, 01:07 AM

I got a flyer in the mail about Shen Yun a few months ago. I'm sure I threw it out, but I remember it was really hyping the show as if it was some sort of once in a lifetime experience. That led me to believe that they were a troupe from mainland China that was touring the US -- hence being a once in a lifetime experience because they might not return to the US again. That's interesting that they're actually based in the US.

Regarding "pipe dream", I didn't realize that until literally just now. I'd always pictured someone dreaming about plumbing. Similarly, it took me a long time to figure out what "pushing the envelope" referred to. Even after I learned what an airplane's flight envelope was, it took me a while to put the two together. Before that I'd always pictured a mailing envelope.
Old 13 March 2018, 01:30 AM

I went to a Shen Yun show. I saw a billboard type ad and thought it was a touring troupe from China. On a bit of a whim I bought tickets for it. At the show, I think it was apparent from the program and shortly into the performance that it is essentially anti-communist religious propaganda. I remember being pretty annoyed at the content. I don't remember it being particularly beautiful or entertaining, both of which I had expected based on the ad I saw.
Old 13 March 2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I just realized the term "pipe dream" refers to smoking from an opium pipe.

When I was a kid I pictured some kind of, like, drainage pipe or something. I knew the term meant something fanciful or unattainable, but I never really understood it. Now it makes sense.
I thought it was a surfing term.