snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 30 January 2017, 10:24 PM

for what it's worth in the standard argument. I too parked my standard vehicles in gear. however I was told by the dealership, and it was even in the manual, That you were supposed to park the vehicle in neutral using the parking break unless you were on a hill, then park it in gear, and with the parking break on, because the parking break worked one way better than the other. (This was on a 1998 Chevrolet S10) It could be for those reasons that mechanics do that.
Old 31 January 2017, 06:44 AM

Tsk, Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
TYSHTTP: when you have multiple email addresses for me, you should pick one and send stuff to it. Don't forward the same pointless picture to every single email address you have for me.
You could probably shorten that to "Never, ever use 'Send to all' for anything. Ever."
Old 31 January 2017, 07:24 AM

It wasn't a use of "send all." The person actually somehow got confused about which email address to contact me at and sent me the email multiple times.
Old 31 January 2017, 02:59 PM

OK, thanks I assumed wrongly.
Old 31 January 2017, 05:22 PM

Icon02

Springing an upgrade to a database without giving the IT guys a chance to work with it in a test mode is really really really stupid.
Old 31 January 2017, 08:47 PM

On a similar note (and perhaps I shouldn't put this here), making all of your company's client test environments unavailable without warning for several days because you'd sent around a vague email a few weeks beforehand, nobody had objected and therefore you'd assumed it was all in hand, is also (to quote DawnStorm) really really really stupid.

This may or may not be based on a real incident that happened a month or two ago at a nameless company that may or may not exist.
Old 01 February 2017, 12:38 PM

Jaded

To some unknown motorist: A stop is a stop sign regardless of whether it's a stationary one such as those seen at corners, or a flippy one, such as those seen on a school buses. Either way, you have to stop whether you like it or not.
Old 01 February 2017, 01:02 PM

And if you don't stop for the flippy one, the bus driver may be able to report your tag and get you a ticket, even if there's no cop in sight. I know they can do it in Ohio.
Old 01 February 2017, 02:46 PM

At least in Michigan, that's a pretty serious ticket too.
Old 01 February 2017, 03:13 PM

Police

If the bus driver or the camera was able to get the driver's tag number, he'll be getting a $250 fine from the County's finest. The county--in fact the whole state--are really cracking down on jokers like this.
Old 01 February 2017, 03:47 PM

When my boss got a ticket that way, many years ago, a deputy helpfully delivered it to her at our office. So add embarrassment to the cost of the fine.
Old 01 February 2017, 10:45 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
To some unknown motorist: A stop is a stop sign regardless of whether it's a stationary one such as those seen at corners, or a flippy one, such as those seen on a school buses. Either way, you have to stop whether you like it or not.
And really, I'd much rather someone be more fastidious about stopping for the flippy one, as it is only supposed to be displayed when there are actual pedestrians in the vicinity.*

* I am not advocating running any stop signs, but if someone has a good view of all traffic, including foot and bicycles, and does not make a complete stop at a sign, I don't think it warrants substantial concern - so long as it is not abused by doing so where those conditions do not apply.
Old 02 February 2017, 03:05 PM

Glasses

Along the lines of the flippy stop sign...

If the car in the lane approaching you has stopped, and there is a pedestrian waiting to cross, you are in fact violating the law when you just blow past. Stop sign or no stop sign.

Seaboe
Old 02 February 2017, 11:11 PM

Saying that maybe Trump will learn/change his behavior/stop being evil and insane/whatever isn't optimism, it's denial. Yes, if Trump stopped insulting everyone he could be a better leader. But the probability of that happening is roughly the same as his chances of turning into a purple unicorn and moving to Canterlot.
Old 03 February 2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Saying that maybe Trump will learn/change his behavior/stop being evil and insane/whatever isn't optimism, it's denial. Yes, if Trump stopped insulting everyone he could be a better leader. But the probability of that happening is roughly the same as his chances of turning into a purple unicorn and moving to Canterlot.
Especially since all this stuff was part of his election platform

Old 03 February 2017, 04:35 AM

Yeah, and it wasn't even a Trump supporter I was talking to: they opposed Trump the entire election cycle but since his inauguration they've really been putting on the rose-colored glasses.
Old 03 February 2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, and it wasn't even a Trump supporter I was talking to: they opposed Trump the entire election cycle but since his inauguration they've really been putting on the rose-colored glasses.
Sounds like a coping mechanism
Old 03 February 2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Especially since all this stuff was part of his election platform
And everyone who liked him claimed it was because he was so trustworthy and spoke the plain truth.
Old 05 February 2017, 09:02 PM

Writing "No copyright infringement intended" in the description of your Youtube video that's clearly infringing on the artist's copyright doesn't somehow magically absolve you.
Old 06 February 2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Writing "No copyright infringement intended" in the description of your Youtube video that's clearly infringing on the artist's copyright doesn't somehow magically absolve you.
It's also a baldfaced lie because they clearly intended to infringe that artist's copyright. I guess they might actually mean "If the artist contests our usage of the copyright we won't fight it"???

I'm planning on making a youtube video sometime soon and it'd be great to use some well known songs as backing tracks for certain clips but I'm also aware that doing that could get my entire video muted pretty easily. There's thousands of clips of free to use uncopyrighted/royalty free/creative commons music available and they're all fairly bland and it's a bit of a chore to find something you like even though many of the royalty free music youtube channels break them down into categories like sad music, vlog background music, cinematic music, etc etc..

Of course many of the people infringing copyright are making music videos for popular songs they like so none of that applies to them. Infringing copyright is pretty much the entire point of those videos in the first place.
Closed Thread