snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 30 January 2017, 12:40 AM

Take the reading glasses off when you navigate stairs - you need proper depth perception.
Old 30 January 2017, 06:09 AM

France

No matter how bad the rash on your nether regions is, for the love of all that's holy, don't put anything containing alcohol on it ! Believe me, you will regret it !

Oh, and another thing : that trash is not going to go to the trash can by itself. That laundry is not going to fold and store itself. Thos comics are not going to go in their boxes by themselves either. So stop procrastinating and try to DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE MESS !!!!!!! Thank you !
Old 14 February 2017, 04:13 PM

France

I already told you this, Gérard, but :

Before storing your comics, it could probably be a good idea to put what's on the boxes in a safer place. Or else receive it on the head. Ouch !
Old 15 February 2017, 04:06 AM

Icon84

This is something between a thing I shouldn't have to tell myself and a thing I shouldn't have to tell other people. I put it here because I haven't told other people yet, I just fear I know what they would say.

I shouldn't have to see a psychiatrist just to talk about my feelings. People do it all the time.
Old 15 February 2017, 04:24 AM

Do you mean people see a psychiatrist all the time even not just to talk about their feelings? Or that it's OK to talk about your feelings even when you're not seeing a psychiatrist? Sorry to pry. Perhaps you shouldn't have to tell yourself but, IMHO, neither should you feel the need not to tell yourself as often as needed.
Old 15 February 2017, 04:43 AM

I mean people talk, face to face, with people about their feelings without talking to a psychiatrist all the time. I just have this slight problem where all my face to face interactions are with other naval officers who have gotten all the same training I have and would, I suspect, go the "better safe than sorry, let's go see the psyche" route rather than the "that's perfectly normal, I had a problem like that myself once, you'll be fine" route.

I don't want to harm myself and I want even less to harm others. I just don't feel quite right.
Old 18 February 2017, 06:39 PM

You know posting about these things never actually feels like you're getting anything off your chest, but you posted anyway. And now your poor, increasingly paranoid aunt has left expectedly cryptic comments on it. And now your brain is stretching itself into silly putty over all the conversations you might have to have with her now because of it.

You want to unfriend her because maybe that will make her think about the things she's said, but she's proven time and time again that it's always everybody else's fault for being sensitive or whatever. It's always just a confirmation of her rightness.

So congrats, now you just feel like sh** more than you normally do, and miss your aunt the way she used to be.
Old 19 February 2017, 06:08 PM

France

Do not keep your smartphone in your room. Otherwise you will risk being woken up by a moron who has decided to phone you at 11.15 pm.
Old 19 February 2017, 08:37 PM

I'm not sure if this is "something I shouldn't have to tell myself" or "something you shouldn't have to tell people", or even "something I shouldn't tell the board" (Well, I'm fine with that bit) but...

If one of your friends frequently talks openly and in great detail about his use of sex workers, but only when out with other male friends, then this doesn't mean that it's not something he is trying to keep separate from other aspects of his life. And therefore it might be a bad idea for me to say to his boss's boss, on a work social occasion when she happened to be talking about the problems faced by sex workers, and the charitable work she sometimes does in this area, "Oh, [X] is quite a heavy user of prostitutes. It might be interesting if you talked to him about this."

When I realised that might not have been the right thing to say, and said to him later that evening "Um, I'm afraid I told [Y] about your prostitute habit," he seemed to think that the whole "Bros before hos" thing was something that I shouldn't have had to be told... and quite possibly rightly so.

On the other hand, I still can't quite but think that if he talks about this loudly, openly and in public quite a lot, he might want to expect that people will find out. He certainly doesn't treat it as a secret in general. He's of the opinion that sex work should be legalised (more so than it currently is) and regulated, and is prepared to argue that case. So I still think it would be an interesting conversation between him and the other woman, and something that's best out there... I guess the fact that they're colleagues and she's somewhat higher in the management of the company than he is might make it awkward, but... well, he does seem in general to feel that this stuff is better discussed openly.

I guess the underlying issue here is that his talk of his use of sex workers makes me somewhat uncomfortable (and I don't think I'm the only one of his male friends who feels the same way) - he's the only person I've ever known to talk openly about these things. His take on that is that of course he's not the only person I know who goes to sex workers, he's just the only one who talks about it. But after several occasions on which we've had this conversation, and after raising the various objections I can think of (off the top of my head) and having them rebutted, we do all just tend to sit and listen to him rather than saying anything.

Bah. Five or six years ago when I first heard of the "brogrammer" stereotype, I would have completely rejected it because it didn't match my experience at all. Nowadays it does, and this annoys me. I need to keep in closer touch with my older friends... or get some new friends. Fortunately I'm being made redundant at the end of next week and so am going to be forced into meeting some new people in a new job, which is good.
Old 19 February 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I'm not sure if this is "something I shouldn't have to tell myself" or "something you shouldn't have to tell people", or even "something I shouldn't tell the board" (Well, I'm fine with that bit) but...
It's like you and I both need a new thread for that category...

"Things you're just uncomfortable about" we could call it.
Old 19 February 2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
now your poor, increasingly paranoid aunt has left expectedly cryptic comments on it. [ . . . ]

So congrats, now you just feel like sh** more than you normally do, and miss your aunt the way she used to be.
1) Could this have a medical cause? and, if so, is there anyone who can get the aunt to a doctor?

2) If the cause isn't likely to be medical: is there any way to say to your aunt, maybe not "I miss the way you used to be", but "I miss the sort of conversation we used to have"? (If it is medical, that could be a highly risky topic: maybe she also misses the way she used to be, but is unable to be that person now, and on some levels unhappy and frightened about it.)
Old 20 February 2017, 01:49 AM

I think she has mentioned she sees a therapist, I'm not sure how frequently she visits said person. "Therapist" may also be a euphemism. With her, I really can't tell.

One of these days I'm going to try to head over and visit her and just talk for a bit. Not necessarily about this, but just to remind her that there's real people around to talk to. I have been wanting* to do this for a while, but only recently feel that I'm well enough myself to handle reaching out to her.

I think in her case some of it could be early signs of Alzheimer's; but more of it has to do with her having a lot of baggage from a difficult childhood that she self-medicated for years with drugs & alcohol, and since getting a phone with an internet connection, she spends much more time with people on social media who are not exactly positive "good influences."

To be fair, I can't tell how much of her comments seem off-topic or paranoid/confused because she isn't in a well mental state, or because she has low technological literacy skills. Either way, her online conduct has brought out a side of her that I wasn't aware of for the past ~20 years.

*"wanting" meaning less "I'd love to, it'll be a great time!" and more "This is someone who I care about who needs help, and from a moral/ethical standpoint I want to contribute to that help"
Old 20 February 2017, 03:57 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Fortunately I'm being made redundant at the end of next week and so am going to be forced into meeting some new people in a new job, which is good.
What?! Did you bury this at the end of your discussion on purpose?

Re your friend John (in the sex consumer sense), would he be as reluctant to share his opinions about the legal sale of sex with a male supervisor? Could the problem really be not so much talking about it at work as talking about it to a woman?

Seaboe
Old 20 February 2017, 04:09 PM

That would be my guess, given the "bros before hos" reference.
Old 20 February 2017, 04:12 PM

Glasses

Which, IMO, indicates his wish to expand the legality of sex has more to do with himself than the women who may be being exploited. This could be a secondary reason why he's not interested in speaking with this woman.

Seaboe
Old 20 February 2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
What?! Did you bury this at the end of your discussion on purpose?
Well, sort of, since it's not really what the post was about, but I realised it might well all be related in a sort of things-that-are-generally-pissing-me-off-at-the-moment sort of way. As I said though, good opportunity to get out of a rut, when I finally stop procrastinating and start sending off applications.

Yes, I think my friend definitely objects more to a woman knowing about his habits than a manager knowing that. He's said in the past (when we were in mixed company) that he prefers going out in all-male groups and was finding it difficult working at his then workplace - he's spent periods here both as a permanent employee and a contractor, with other jobs in between - because there were too many women and he felt he was missing the opportunity for "banter" because he couldn't do that with women. I suggested that perhaps he should try out some banter that wasn't massively sexist and he seemed a bit taken aback...!

I wasn't talking about this at work though - it was a work-related social occasion in the pub (somebody's privately-arranged leaving drinks). In fact two occasions, since the drinks finished and I went on to meet other colleagues / friends in a different pub, so they wouldn't have had the opportunity to talk on that occasion anyway.

(eta) And to clarify, he didn't actually use the phrase "bros before hos", that was mine for the purposes of the post, but it seemed to me to be a fair summary.

Last edited by Richard W; 20 February 2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 20 February 2017, 04:18 PM

He sounds charming.
Old 20 February 2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I guess the underlying issue here is that his talk of his use of sex workers makes me somewhat uncomfortable [ . . . ] But after several occasions on which we've had this conversation, and after raising the various objections I can think of (off the top of my head) and having them rebutted, we do all just tend to sit and listen to him rather than saying anything.
He doesn't want to respect other people's boundaries even when it's just a matter of talking. I am a bit worried about the sex workers who have to deal with him: if he won't respect your boundaries, is he respecting theirs?
Old 20 February 2017, 06:21 PM

I'm sorry to hear you've been made redundant, but it will offer you an easy way to avoid this guy (should you want to).
Old 21 February 2017, 02:09 AM

Mouse

You buy cheap; you get cheap. Can't think of an instance where that isn't true.