snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 27 January 2017, 12:31 AM

I've worked in places where the receptionist or admin assistant or secretary ( in short the person doing most of the office work) genuinely thinks she runs the place. This has often resulted in someone taking a lot on themselves mainly because the boss can't be bothered. This isn't always a bad thing, but sometimes it can be a nightmare. Someone needs to tell Ms Receptionist that she doesn't get to "forbid" anyone from doing anything! Where is the boss when all this is going on?
Old 27 January 2017, 12:46 AM

Trying to keep the peace by telling her to drop it, and us to be a bit more patient with her. But lately he's had to stay home a lot because of ill health so he's not getting all of it.
Old 27 January 2017, 01:44 AM

Mouse

Is there any actual proof that drive-thrus are more convenient than going inside or is that just some bizarre delusion we're all under? Because every time we go through a drive-thru and have to repeat orders dozens of times, I'm thinking, "Y'know this isn't that convenient. Probably could have gone inside and gotten our orders faster."

Another gripe: People say "Many Hands Make the Load Lighter," but experience has taught me that "Too Many Cooks Spoil the Broth" is closer to the truth. One person who knows what they're doing, knows what needs to be done and how to do it, can get the job done faster than three or four people who have only the vaguest of notions. The more people you draft to solve a problem, the more people you have to coordinate, which eats up time that could be used getting the job done.
Old 27 January 2017, 02:50 AM

The answer to both depends.

A well staffed and run drive through is usually going to be much faster than going inside. Some restaurants have six or more people working the drive through and they get priority on all food preparation. But if you take any of that away and have a multi-register counter and a big rush of people, going inside could be just as fast if not faster.

In regards to your second annoyance, again it depends on the situation. If I'm making dinner for just me and a couple other people, adding hands isn't going to speed things up.

When I make Thanksgiving for 40, its not uncommon to have a dozen people helping out. My daughters and I act as management; I'm the cook, older daughter manages the back of the house, younger daughter manages the front of the house. There might be 2-3 people recruited for front of the house and a half dozen or more in the kitchen. I've got a carving team, gravy team, potato team, one or two people taking care of drinks, a dishwasher...
Old 27 January 2017, 03:22 AM

I quit using drive-thru lanes years ago. They've always seemed slower to me. If there's a line at the drive thru, I take note of which car is last. 7 times out of 10, I beat that car in getting the food.

The only time I use them now is when I want something to eat late at night, (Usually on my way home from work.) and the dining area is closed for the evening.
Old 27 January 2017, 06:02 AM

I typically only use the drive-through lane if I want to grab something and take it home (which is most of the time I'm getting something from somewhere with a drive-through lane).
Old 27 January 2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
IIRC, a few years ago we discussed this edition of Anne of Green Gables. Anne's red hair, and her feelings about it, drove her character development and occasionally the plot. That's not the only problem with the illustration, IMO. The young woman's shirt, her hairstyle, and her pose are all wrong for the early 1900s.
I remember when we discussed that cover before. You are right that girl looks nothing like Anne. It isn't just the hair, the shirt (I can't remember if she ever wore a shirt it was always dresses) and the sexy pose. I wonder if they just brought a stock photo of a girl to stick on the cover and had no idea of the character. They may want to appeal to todays young girls, but I remember when I was in my tweens and teens in the '80's one of the appealing things about reading books set in the past was learning how things were different and how they dealt with certain things. And how some things haven't changed. I am sure there are many young girls that are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Since Anne's children are old enough to fight during WWI I'd guesstimate that Anne of Green Gables was supposed to take place around 1880 which doesn't change your point, Lainie . That illustration sucks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I think LM Montgomery took some literary license with her timeline. The first book was published in 1908, and various details (the famous puffed sleeves, for example) make me think it was set closer to 1900 than to 1880. She may have planned multiple books from the beginning, but she couldn't have planned ahead to write about WWI.

ETA: Speaking of adjusted timelines: There is a passage in Anne of Ingleside that appears to foreshadow Walter's death in WWI, which occurs in Rilla of Ingleside. But although AoI was published first, RoI was written first. Montgomery wasn't actually foreshadowing Walter's death, she'd already written it. Link.
I have often tried to work out when the books were set. Usually at night when I couldn't sleep*. But have found it difficult. The only concrete date in them is the Frist World Was and I never remember the next day to check when puff sleeves were in fashion etc. I think I have reached the conclusion, having read L.M Montgomery biography years ago that the books weren't written in order. I have also reached the conclusion that, she was writing about some vague time in the past rather then a specific time.

There was a recent television mini-series when Gilbert went off to the war rather then her sons, which I thought was quite wrong.

I have also often though that Anne and Gilbert were a bit older then average when they got married and had children for the time. Considering they had know each other since they were children.

*No that it keeps me awake more as a intellectual exercise when I can't sleep for worrying for other reasons.
Old 27 January 2017, 06:37 AM

Sorry for the separate post but I think the above post is long enough and this is on a slightly different subject.

From the link in Lainie post above.

Quote:
The novel is also groundbreaking as it is one of the first non-Australian texts to mention the Gallipoli campaign and the sacrifice made by the ANZACs.

This has always struck me on the several times I have read it. I wasn't expecting it at the time.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Is there any actual proof that drive-thrus are more convenient than going inside or is that just some bizarre delusion we're all under? Because every time we go through a drive-thru and have to repeat orders dozens of times, I'm thinking, "Y'know this isn't that convenient. Probably could have gone inside and gotten our orders faster."
My experiences with drive-throughs have been less than stellar (garbled orders, missing items, missing necessary "extras"), plus I rarely know exactly what I want, so I feel pressured to GET MOVING!! at the ordering spot, which is irritating, so I almost never use them.

On the rare occasion when I'm looking to see if I am "beating the line" by going in - when there is an actual line-up of vehicles, and I am not dining inside - I have tended to beat the line, though that is hardly much beyond a few data points, and I have certainly found myself in the counter line from Hell on more than a few occasions.

Mostly, I avoid drive-throughs for their rich history of disappointments, not for speed issues.
Old 27 January 2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post

I have often tried to work out when the books were set. Usually at night when I couldn't sleep*. But have found it difficult. The only concrete date in them is the Frist World Was and I never remember the next day to check when puff sleeves were in fashion etc. I think I have reached the conclusion, having read L.M Montgomery biography years ago that the books weren't written in order. I have also reached the conclusion that, she was writing about some vague time in the past rather then a specific time.

There was a recent television mini-series when Gilbert went off to the war rather then her sons, which I thought was quite wrong.

I have also often though that Anne and Gilbert were a bit older then average when they got married and had children for the time. Considering they had know each other since they were children.

*No that it keeps me awake more as a intellectual exercise when I can't sleep for worrying for other reasons.
As Lainie pointed out it's likely that L M Montgomery was a little casual with her dating and changed things a bit so that Anne's children would be old enough to fight during WWI. If pressed I would have assumed Anne of Green Gables was set in the 1890s not circa 1880.

Also you are quite right on two other points:

Anne and Gilbert did not marry until after Gilbert had finished medical school. Without the book in front of me I'm not positive of Anne's age at the start of Anne's House of Dreams but she had to be at least 25 and since Jem was her second baby (baby Joyce died right after her birth) Anne would have had to be at least 27 if not a bit older when Jem was born which doing the math means Jem was born around 1893 (if he was 21 in 1914) which means Anne would have been born around 1866 which means Anne of Green Gables must have taken place in 1877 (if we are determined to hold L M Montgomery to a timeline she couldn't have envisioned when she wrote her first book )

Montgomery wrote two of the books much later than the others. Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne of Ingleside were not written in sequence they were both written in the late '30s where Rilla of Ingleside was written in 1921. Aside from the foreshadowing Lainie mentioned there are other clues. One big one is characters that appeared in Windy Poplars are met or at least mentioned again in Anne of Ingleside but are not mentioned at all in any of the other books set after Anne's marriage.
Old 27 January 2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I have two kids, one of whom is in a car seat, so to go inside, I have to get out, unbuckle her, take the two of them in, tell them not to touch that, order, tell them not to touch that, say they can't have that, get the food, go to the car, buckle her back in, and then get in myself. SO, it is a lot easier and faster to do the drive through. If I am on my own, I just go inside.

When the kids were younger, and one had to be carried inside, it was even easier to just do the drive through.
Old 27 January 2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Another gripe: People say "Many Hands Make the Load Lighter," but experience has taught me that "Too Many Cooks Spoil the Broth" is closer to the truth. One person who knows what they're doing, knows what needs to be done and how to do it, can get the job done faster than three or four people who have only the vaguest of notions. The more people you draft to solve a problem, the more people you have to coordinate, which eats up time that could be used getting the job done.
I always remember the example my Economics teacher in HS used to explain the Law of Diminishing Returns. Pushing a really massive boulder. Add more people, easier to push, boulder moves faster. But at some point there are too many people and they get in each others' way, maybe fall in front of the boulder so the boulder slows down rolling over them (nothing like some dark humour to get the point across).
Old 27 January 2017, 03:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
RI guess I have to teach it that "Dorf" is not "Ford".
If you catch the change as it's being made, ctrl+z will undo it and it will be left undone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I can't remember if she ever wore a shirt it was always dresses
Anne wore dresses and sometimes "shirtwaists" with skirts. Shirtwaist = blouse. I distinctly remember some of those when she was teaching.

The funny thing to me about those books was how her clothes and room were so important to the stories, and thus often described. As soon as she married, the author stopped describing the upstairs of her house (i.e., no bedrooms) and while she was pregnant, there were no descriptions of her clothes.

Seaboe
Old 27 January 2017, 06:28 PM

Theme Icon

Mark Hamill hasn't released any new Trumpster tweets. (Meantime, I've taken to mentally voicing random things said by Trump in the Joker's voice. It makes his ramblings seem less....painful. What can I say, I have a warped sense of humor.)
Old 28 January 2017, 02:06 AM

I was buying some disposable lighters this evening, and had to give my age to be able to buy them. What the heck?! Why shouldn't young people be able to buy lighters? There are lots of legitimate reasons to make fire. Or maybe they had to make sure I was not so old and doddering that I might set myself on fire.
Old 29 January 2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Anne and Gilbert did not marry until after Gilbert had finished medical school.

Montgomery wrote two of the books much later than the others. Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne of Ingleside were not written in sequence they were both written in the late '30s where Rilla of Ingleside was written in 1921.
I had meant to comment on Gilbert going to medical school in my post but forgot.

Anne of Windy Poplars is called Anne of Windy Willows here.

I am thinking, if we have to do an internet reference assignment for TAFE, I may do it on L.M. Montgomery. Basically you give your lecturer three possible topics and then pretend you are a reference librarian interviewing a client (the lecturer) about a subject they need researched.

I let the teacher choice the topic last time and quite enjoyed researching a topic I had previously known nothing about*. But this time a may try choosing my own. All I have to do is remember this idea when the time comes and pick two other topics.

* A early 20th century feminist writer.
Old 29 January 2017, 12:51 PM

double post sorry.
Old 29 January 2017, 01:07 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post

Mostly, I avoid drive-throughs for their rich history of disappointments, not for speed issues.
When my sister still lived here sometimes we'd grab fast food for a movie night and she generally wanted Taco Bell, and we usually did drive through. It was interesting getting back to my place and seeing what, specifically they decided she'd ordered. It was always extra food. Two extra burritos here, nachos supreme there- always extra.

But then in Wausau I loved a specific pizza delivery place because they never quite got an order right. Meatball sub no cheese extra onions? Surely I also meant no sauce! Dinner salad with raspberry vinaigrette? Nah, we'd rather give you regular vinaigrette. Pepperoni and onion pizza? You probably want green peppers, too.
Old 29 January 2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
When my sister still lived here sometimes we'd grab fast food for a movie night and she generally wanted Taco Bell, and we usually did drive through. It was interesting getting back to my place and seeing what, specifically they decided she'd ordered. It was always extra food. Two extra burritos here, nachos supreme there- always extra.
I like to call this "Drive Thru Surprise." Any order from the Wendy's closest to my office is especially exciting, as they have never gotten my order 100% correct.
Old 29 January 2017, 07:50 PM

I once ordered a plain double cheeseburger, I guess I overemphasized the word "plain," as I was handed just a bread-patty-bread.

kitap- LOL. Were they good enough quality food that it didn't matter anyway??
Closed Thread