snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 05 January 2017, 04:56 PM

Downs: There was an accident at my corner last night (so what else is new?) so I had to take a trip through the Land That Snowplows Forgot (my name for non-snow emergency routes) in order to get home.

Serious Up: Saw some great Christmas light displays! Woot!
Old 09 January 2017, 12:22 PM

up: Managed to wake up at my regular wake-up time instead of letting myself sleep in a half hour. I've had some time to be awake now so hopefully once I actually get moving to start my day, I'll be less clumsy and adrenaline-riddled than the past however many days when I'm waking up with no time to spare.

down: I like to wake up with this extra half hour by opening up the handful of websites I read regularly and catching up with new posts/other updates. Lately it seems my computer is getting slower and slower. Today it took 7 minutes to get the computer on, the internet open, and for at least one of the sites to be loaded enough for me to read its content. A FWP I know, but it's a non-negligible chunk of my time in the morning and I'll need to look into getting it straightened out. (I have a feeling it may be the antivirus program I'm running- I've read about other people having similar problems with AVG after you've had it for a while.)
Old 09 January 2017, 03:22 PM

Glasses

Down #1: As some (most?) of you know, I tripped last week and hit my chin.

Up #1: The bruises are fading and (I think) the lip is healing.

Down #2: Last Saturday evening, I broke a tooth eating a chocolate chip cookie.

Up #2: The tooth broke in such a way that no nerves are exposed, so it doesn't hurt and I can still eat.

Seaboe
Old 10 January 2017, 03:33 AM

Down: my son suffered a collapsed lung last week.
Up: the initial issue was fixed quickly and things were getting better.
Down: It still wasn't healing properly, so after a week, he had surgery.
Up: Surgery was a success, and he will be coming home tomorrow!
Down: now my daughter is sick; apparently caught the stomach bug that was the reason about 80% of the kids in the hospital were in for, while she was visiting.

sigh
Old 10 January 2017, 04:49 PM

Additional down: yep, now my son's caught the bug, so he won't be home until he can hold down fluids. Tomorrow at least, Bit of a let-down.
Up: my daughter's doing way better; possibly a 24-hour bug.
Old 10 January 2017, 06:09 PM

Hope your kids feel better soon, Crius.

Down: I thought my cable box was going on the fritz--the signal kept going in and out, causing me to frequently jiggle the HDMI cable, and I was afraid it was because A Certain Feline™ has taking to napping atop said box.

Up: It was because the power cord connection was loose at the box.
Old 10 January 2017, 10:33 PM

Thank you, smittykins - your hope must have helped, because:
Additional up: he held down fluids all day, no diarrhea, and is now home! Whew. Everyone's happy, especially the dog, since everyone's home, finally. No more mopey puppy.
Old 11 January 2017, 01:14 AM

Down: my husband was driving my car and while stopped at a red light was plowed into by a drunk driver.

Up: He's okay! Escaped with a band-aid after a hospital visit the officer who saw the wreckage insisted on. My car was basically scrap metal.

Up #2: Since he was driving my car rather than his, I got a new car! I love it. My old girl was 18 years old and a faithful companion in excellent condition with less than 100k miles, but I'm loving the gadgets and smooth driving in the new model.
Old 11 January 2017, 03:41 PM

Up: Signed up for Marathon Sports Winter Warrior Challenge, where participants run or walk outside for 1, 3 or 5 miles every day in January. Trying to get in shape to run faster 5Ks and perform well on obstacle courses. Was off to a good start. I also enjoyed using the walking trail (which I hadn't used before) and found some neat sights along the way.

Down: The mileage isn't an average; it's based on the lowest amount you run during the month. I quickly developed runner's knee in both knees and old injuries flared up. I persisted at the 5-mile level, even through a snowstorm and below-zero wind chill, but finally had to drop down to 3 and then 1 to avoid damaging my knees. I'm frustrated that my hard work from earlier only served to injure me and won't really pay off. And the month isn't even half over yet.
Old 13 January 2017, 03:20 PM

Glasses

Down: A friend's severely injured husband has been sent home from rehab early, and they have a split level house that cannot currently accommodate him.

Up: I can afford to contribute to a remodel of their downstairs bathroom, which will help her bring him home from temporary quarters at her parents.

Seaboe
Old 15 January 2017, 06:58 PM

The bad: last summer I lost a job after being there for 2 1/2 years (too many absences).

The good: I got a job 3 months later that is not only better paying, but has a much better atmosphere. We can also wear jeans, and no uniform!
Old 19 January 2017, 01:46 AM

up: Working tomorrow and Friday
down: Missed my kids*' concert tonight because I wasn't feeling well. I'm glad I stayed home because of how I was feeling physically- I definitely needed the evening to rest and recharge- but I feel guilty, this is the first one I've missed and I really like showing that I support them.

*former/current students, not housekids.
Old 19 January 2017, 02:14 PM

Glasses

Down: I'm home sick with a fever, cough and runny nose.

Up: The cough is productive, my throat is just a little sore, and my nose has slowed down. Thus I don't think it's the flu after all (yes, I had a shot).

Seaboe
Old 20 January 2017, 06:40 AM

I'm also sick this week. On the upside, it couldn't have come at a better time (other than, you know, never); this winter cold missed my honeymoon and narrowly missed the insanity of last weekend (2 bachelorrette parties, a housewaming, and a wedding) and slid into the least busy week I've had at work since I started a little over a year ago.

Also on the downside, my boss called me into her office to ask me about switching courtrooms. (We have a somewhat unusual system where attorneys are assigned to a specific courtroom and spend all their time there, working with/against the same group of other lawyers, in front of the same judge, until they get reassigned.) I knew this day would come, as they don't seem to like to keep anybody in one place very long, but I was hoping to hold out a little longer. Now that we've finally got another attorney in there, my workload is decreasing, so I'm getting to leave at a reasonable hour, and by now I know my cases, my fellow attorneys in the courtroom, and the judge really well, so I finally feel competent. I've also come to realize my judge is one of the better ones around, and the attorneys in here have an unusually good cameraderie, so even though I'd eventually get comfortable somewhere else, it probably wouldn't be as good.

I realized, though, that besides needing to be a team player and all, that getting experience in front of different judges was going to be important if I wanted to advance. So I told my boss, honestly, that while I really liked where I was and would prefer to stick around, I was willing to go wherever they'd like to put me.

So then--upside!--she asked me about being a floater. This is a position generally reserved for more senior attorneys, as it involves covering cases in various courtrooms when other attorneys are out sick or on vacation (so you've got to really know what you're doing, because you can't always make up for a lack of knowledge at your fingertips with more thorough preparation), as well as handling the more serious cases that land with someone who's been on the job less than a year. (I handled a few of those types of cases in my first year largely because we were understaffed; our previous floater also had a small caseload of her own in an assigned courtroom. Some people just happen to make it to a year without getting one of these types of cases, but my caseload was so large I got three.) So it's essentially a promotion, albeit without a pay raise (I've gotten those at every review period anyway), and potentially a stepping-stone to a supervisor position someday. So that's cool.
Old 24 January 2017, 03:32 PM

Tantrum

Down: I hate this mild winter! Where the hell is the cold weather?? NFBSKing LaNina!

Up: Keeps my heat bill low. And there is still February. Plus, I hear that the folks on the West Coast are getting some much needed rain, which I hope brings relief from the drought.
Old 26 January 2017, 01:18 AM

Mouse

Up: Found a pair of men's pants that actually fit well and will hold up for a while.

Down: Well, I hadn't shopped in that department before, so it took me a bit to figure out what each size means. And of course, the fact I have to look in the men's section for decent clothing in the first place. To put it briefly, regarding fashion,women are paying more for an inferior product.
Old 26 January 2017, 01:51 AM

Up: I put together a really sharp clothing combination today.

Down: I need all the help I can to look decent.
Old 26 January 2017, 02:58 AM

UP: We were finally able to replace the 20 year old and fading fast kitchen appliances at the beginning of the year.

DOWN: The new microwave has already puked. Wasn't even 3 weeks old yet.

Old 26 January 2017, 09:53 PM

Up: the recalled engine pump in my car has finally been replaced.

Down: this didn't fix the issues I was having with the engine, so it's still not working and now I'm going to have to pay to fix it.
Old 27 January 2017, 09:26 PM

UP!

I'm going to a one-day all-gaming convention tomorrow.

DOWN...

It's a 2-hour drive and the first block of games starts at 9 am. I need to be up ugly early in the morning and set out on the drive by no later than 7 am.