snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 09 August 2013, 01:04 AM

Facebook Man kills wife, posts picture on Facebook

Facebook has removed the profile page of a South Miami man who claimed in an online post that he killed his wife, then posted a gruesome photo of the woman’s dead body.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/0...uth-miami.html
Old 09 August 2013, 01:17 AM

The comments bring up an interesting point: If a woman claimed abuse and said she killed her spouse in self defense, nobody would think twice. In this case, a man is making those claims, and somehow the self-defense is now wrong.

That's not saying that's what I think is happening here, and posting the pictures on Facebook is not only a huge red flag but also a sign of deeper issues. I just thought it was an interesting commentary on how we view abuse and self-defensive actions.
Old 09 August 2013, 02:03 AM

That is interesting, I admit my initial thought was "he's lying" but as you say, if you reversed the genders I have no doubt there would be people quickly coming to the defense of the woman in question.

I agree the pictures on facebook are a huge red flag, but if I was to be honest even without them I'd be leaning towards he lying.
Old 09 August 2013, 03:02 AM

While studies have shown that women assault men in domestic relationships at about the same rate as men assault women, "women, on average, suffer much more frequent and severe injury (physical, economic, and psychological) than men."*

While it may be true that men are victims of domestic violence at about the same rate as women, it's also true that severe, life threatening assaults are less common on men by women. There's also more likely to be, according to an expert at a conference I attended, a pattern of abuse and control when the assaults are by men.

*Source: THE CONTROVERSY OVER DOMESTIC VIOLENCE BY WOMEN: A METHODOLOGICAL,
THEORETICAL, AND SOCIOLOGY OF SCIENCE ANALYSIS, Murray A. Straus, Family Research Laboratory, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH
Old 09 August 2013, 01:33 PM

The article in the OP also has several interviews with the victims friends and acquaintances, that depict him in a bad light, but I didn't see any interviews with his friends and acquaintances, other than his father and one unnamed and unidentified "friend" (his friend? her friend?).

Is it a bias, or is it because they couldn't find anyone that could substantiate his claim? Who knows.

Sad story in any case.

Poor daughter.
Old 09 August 2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Witch View Post
The comments bring up an interesting point: If a woman claimed abuse and said she killed her spouse in self defense, nobody would think twice. In this case, a man is making those claims, and somehow the self-defense is now wrong.
I'm sorry, but I would absolutely think twice. Unless our hypothetical woman was at that exact moment in time being physically abused in a way that would make her fear for her life, it is not her right to exact revenge via murder on her abuser. Even if the spouse did brandish a knife as in the article, it then goes on to mention that they were subsequently disarmed. You don't get to shoot someone after they've been disarmed, just because they are a horrible person who did horrible things to you. You get your ass to safety, not go upstairs and come back with a gun. You call the police, not shoot a disarmed person. I understand that sometimes the system fails, and sometimes an abused partner has had their mind messed with so much that he or she is afraid to call for help. I understand that sometimes police cannot properly protect someone from their abusive partner. That still doesn't give them license to shoot that partner when they are not actively a threat. The Burning Bed might not have been fiction, but it's also not the law.
Old 10 August 2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
I'm sorry, but I would absolutely think twice. Unless our hypothetical woman was at that exact moment in time being physically abused in a way that would make her fear for her life, it is not her right to exact revenge via murder on her abuser.
That's not what I said, nor is it what the man in this incident claimed. He said she was brandishing a knife at him, which would mean that if it were true, he was AT THAT EXACT MOMENT being abused in a way that might make him fear for his life.
Old 10 August 2013, 12:30 AM

That's not what he said though:

Quote:
But according to an arrest report, Medina admitted to investigators he got into an argument with Alfonso. The report said he went upstairs, fished his pistol from a closet and pointed it at Alfonso.

Alfonso yelled she was “leaving him,” according to the report by Detective Jonathan Grossman. Then, Medina — still brandishing the weapon — followed her downstairs to the kitchen, where she grabbed a knife.

Medina said he disarmed Alfonso, put the knife in the drawer, then shot her several times after she began punching and kicking him, the report said.
Old 10 August 2013, 01:11 AM

I must have read a different article, then; I found another one online before this was posted here.

I still maintain that women killing an abuser are not as heavily scrutinized as men are.