snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 15 April 2007, 02:58 PM

Default Internet Logos LLC Fraud

I never post new threads!

I found a mystery charge on my CC last month.

INTERNET LOGOS LLC 2297344402 GA

Internet search does not bring up any real company, but does bring up a list of complaints of unauthorized charges to credit cards and debit cards across the US over the past 30 days or so.

In my case, the dispute was immediately rectified, but I'm not quite satisfied with that, since it doesn't change the fact someone tried to defraud me, and that I don't know where my CC# was compromised.

From the stories there doesn't seem to be any correlation except the cards are used for online purchases; maybe my laptop has something?
Old 19 April 2007, 03:30 PM

Have you called your credit card company? They should be able to tell you something about the charge. If after talking to them you still don't think it is something you did ask them how to start the dispute process. It usually involves filling out a form on the back of your credit card statement giving information about why you think the charge is invalid.

Other than that, I think that string of numbers is a phone number, probably for whoever charged your card. Is 229 an area code in Georgia? If it is (and not to some island phone scam number) you could call and ask them what the charge is.
Old 20 April 2007, 04:01 AM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Is 229 an area code in Georgia?
According to this, it is.

This report says calls to the number were unanswered.
Old 19 May 2007, 07:42 PM
kmoyle73

According to www.anywho.com reverse lookup the phone number belongs to:

Bryant, Richard
Iveys Mill Rd
Newton, GA 31770

Definitely a bit dodgy to have a phone number for a person instead of a corproate entity.
Old 20 May 2007, 12:15 AM

I had the charge reversed immediately; I'm more interested in finding out how so many credit card numbers have been compromised and why I'm not seeing this on the national news.

Looks like the group operates under the names:

Kamak Templates
FINE DESIGN WEB SOLUTIONS
Internet logos LLC
Success Logos LLC
AZ Business Products
KC SOFTWARECOM LLC
GENEREX TECHNOLOGY LLC
HOSTITNOW,INC. STATEN ISLAND NY
WP-NEDBUL WESTERBROEK
KEYSTONE 4 WEALTH WESTERVILLE OH
SPRINT SPECTRUM
Softprojects LLC
BURDETTINC.COM
TROUBLE BUBBLE LLC
SUN SOFTWARE SYSTEMS
JM BUSINESS PRODUCTS
ART MAGIC INC.COM
INNOVATIVE SOFTWARE-Computer Maint & Repair
SOFTPROJECTS LLC COLUMBIA
Generex Technology LLC

And dozens more. And this just represents the tens of thousands of dollars of fraudulent transactions which were immediately discovered.

http://www.successlogos.com/ has a hastily-built website with a not-remotely-convincing shopping interface where you can put "templates" into a cart and go to an unsecured form which collects CC information and - if you put in passably fake information - directs you to an error message asking you to scan and Email your CC and driver's license. (Sorry, admissions at Cornell, you're going to get some spam...)

How are these people collecting all these numbers? Someone broke SSL? A hugely successful CC sniffing worm?

I wonder if it could be Experian.com and its multiple semi-legitimate web fronts. Seems suspicious that FreeCreditReport.com does the same unauthorized 12.95 charges, and I did pull an Experian credit report only 5 days before the INTERNET LOGOS LLC charge.

This is troublesome as they already have all the credit card information of everyone in the United States.
Old 20 May 2007, 02:01 AM

Ah. This could be it.

Between 68,000 and 40,000,000 accounts stolen around April-May 2005.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050620-5015.html
http://thehairyreasoner.wordpress.com/tag/comsumerism/

I can't really be part of the TJ Maxx or BJ's thefts, since I never shopped in either place, but CardSystems processed so many cards it's not unlikely they had my information at some point. That would explain why there doesn't seem to be a common cause.

A couple weeks after I had the charge disputed and reversed, but before I asked for a new number, Citi decided to automatically issue me a new "World" MasterCard with a new account number, which I cannot decline. Smooth. I think I'm going to call them up and ask why they did not sincerely apologize and issue me a new card when they allowed my personal information to be stolen nearly two years ago.

Since this is very high up on Google searches, but nobody but snopes members can post here, you can reply here if you like:

http://alchemy.livejournal.com/51386.html