snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Crime

Old 22 May 2007, 12:56 PM

This girl went missing in Cambridge at the weekend - who heard about that on the news? Anyone? Bueller?

(She's been found)
Old 22 May 2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
73,505.58 has been raised to find Madeleine.
Oxfam reckons it costs 16p/day to keep a child that age in Africa alive.
She's been missing for 13 days, so that's 5654.27p raised per day. That money is enough to stop 22839 Africans kicking the bucket. Multiply Africans/day by the number of days and you get 296907 Africans.

Therefore the value of the life of one English child is equal to the value of the lives of 296907 Africans.
And the point of that rant proves what? If we donate our money to any cause other than Oxfam we're killing Africans? How about those of us who give money to the National Trust (old buildings are more valuable than Africans), the SPCA (baby kittens are more valuable than Africans), our local library (books are more valuable than Africans).
Old 22 May 2007, 01:01 PM

Shout

BlueStar, are you actually saying that since kids are hungry in Africa, we shouldn't raise money for missing children? I find that hard to swallow.

And to be pedantic, she doesn't have blue eyes. They're green.

Sister "just saying" Ray
Old 22 May 2007, 01:05 PM

I don't think it's saying that at all. I think what it's saying is that the attention that this case has been given and the hundreds of thousands of pounds thrown at it by businessmen and newspapers is wildy disproportionate.

Edit to scrap any pointless comparisons and just say: I can think of better ways of spending 100,000 than on looking for one child who already has media saturation coverage of her plight, hundreds of people and god knows how many international organisations looking for her and, sadly, is quite probably already dead. I don't think that's being heartless, I think it's being rational.

Last edited by BlueStar; 22 May 2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 22 May 2007, 05:19 PM
Trixie Tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie View Post
It sounds like they were no further away from the children than I would be if I left my children in bed on the second floor of our home and went down to sit at the bottom of our garden. Closer actually.
But your children wouldn't be in a public place, and a back entrance wouldn't be unlocked for strangers to enter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
management there said there were babysitting services that weren't being used.
I read an article about this in People on a plane the other day, and it read that they were overly protective of their children, and didn't trust babysitters. I'm paraphrasing here, but it was something along the lines of, "The parents, who conceived their children through IVF, were leery of leaving their children with babysitters."

So, in short, these parents were so scared of big, bad strangers harming their precious, artificially created children they did something profoundly stupid. And now a very real big, bad stranger most likely did harm one of their children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBass View Post
I wonder if they had been doing that during their whole holiday and someone was aware of that.
I'm getting the same feeling.
Old 22 May 2007, 05:59 PM

I also feel like anything could happen, when you leave kids alone. It's not generally kidnappers (oh noes, abductions, etc.) that you have to worry about. But as was said earlier, they can get up to some stupid stuff. And thirty minutes is more than enough time for that to happen.

I just don't see the point of taking such a needless risk, when they could just as easily have gotten take out--then they wouldn't have to worry about getting up every thirty minutes to check the kids.
Old 22 May 2007, 06:00 PM

Apparently the campaign fund is now 275,000 (Around $550,000) and growing at a rate of 2000 an hour. I just hope they put it to good use when/if they find her, although I can imagine the News of The World starting a campaign for spending it on a 30ft memorial fountain in Picadilly.

Last edited by BlueStar; 22 May 2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 22 May 2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie Tang View Post
So, in short, these parents were so scared of big, bad strangers harming their precious, artificially created children they did something profoundly stupid.
(emphasis mine)

What does it matter that their children were 'artificially created'? Some people on this MB have had children in unconventional ways, including IVF. What's wrong with that? What does it matter how your child was conceived? Does being a 'test tube' baby make a child any less important? I don't understand why it was brought up in the news in the first place and why you're bringing it up here. As my mom would say, what's that got to do with the price of bananas?
Old 22 May 2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherette View Post
This girl went missing in Cambridge at the weekend - who heard about that on the news? Anyone? Bueller?

(She's been found)
I don't see these two stories being at all comparable though, do you?
Old 22 May 2007, 07:59 PM
Trixie Tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randa Roo View Post
What does it matter that their children were 'artificially created'? Some people on this MB have had children in unconventional ways, including IVF. What's wrong with that? What does it matter how your child was conceived? Does being a 'test tube' baby make a child any less important? I don't understand why it was brought up in the news in the first place and why you're bringing it up here. As my mom would say, what's that got to do with the price of bananas?

The fact that these children were conceived through IVF was brought up a few times in the various news stories about it, and these reporters got this information through someone, be it the parents or family members.

In the article I read, it was an excuse why the parents didn't utilize the babysitting service the resort had in place. "Our precious babies were so hard and expensive to create, and we just can't trust perfect strangers with their well-being." It was almost as if those who were rightly criticizing the parents for leaving their children alone just didn't understand the parents' position. Those who judge can have babies so easily, and it's just so hard for them.
Old 23 May 2007, 12:29 AM

I see... I was reading you totally wrong. Sorry. I know that the IVF thing had been brought up in the news, but I really didn't see how it had any bearing on anything. I still don't really, but if they're trying to use the fact that they conceived their children by unconventional methods to garner extra sympathy or deflect criticism, that's just stupid. Knowing that your child was IVF is not going to make me feel any sorrier that your child was abducted. (Please don't misunderstand, it's a terrible situation, and I do have sympathy for them, but it has nothing to do with how they conceived said child.)

I can't say that if I was in their situation I would've left my kids alone, even if I was just across the pool. But I'm not in their situation (thank god) and it has been said in this thread already, there's a bit of a cultural divide on leaving your kids unattended for whatever length of time. Maybe they've done the same thing on holiday before, and nothing happened. This, unfortunately, was not one of those times. Poor girl.
Old 23 May 2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I don't see these two stories being at all comparable though, do you?
I'm not sure why one child gets media saturation, hundreds of thousands of pounds, millions of pounds as a reward, a Europe-wide hunt - and the other one merely a small mention in the local news section. I imagine Paige's family were just as worried about her as Madeleine's are about Madeleine, but she didn't get international media attention. I don't understand why this should be.
Old 23 May 2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure why one child gets media saturation, hundreds of thousands of pounds, millions of pounds as a reward, a Europe-wide hunt - and the other one merely a small mention in the local news section. I imagine Paige's family were just as worried about her as Madeleine's are about Madeleine, but she didn't get international media attention. I don't understand why this should be.
I don't really understand it either, but I do have a theory.

A lot of the media (certainly the TV coverage) has seemed to focus on the alleged incompetence of the Portuguese police. Whether they are or not, I'm not in a position to say.

The popular press love stories about how Johnny Foreigner can't do anything right. Girl goes missing - not much of a newsworthy story. Foreign police screw up - they lap it up.

Then of course this is the case everyone hears about, and the come flooding in. Also, colour me slightly cynical, but it can't have done the businessmen and celebritioes who have donated cash any harm in the PR department.

We have no reason to suppose in the other case you mentioned that just because the press coverage was low key, that the police response was handled less stringently.
Old 23 May 2007, 10:31 AM

A bit of tangent, but showing that parents still leave children unattended in public places regardless of recent events. At the local rail station last Friday (rush hour), young mum parked infant in pram outside the convenience shop and close to the station exit while she went in shopping. The pram was out of her sight and while she was in there 2 trains disgorged passengers. In spite of all the recent hoo-haa, people aren't changing their behaviour.

Sadly she also fitted a local stereoptype - early 20s-ish, morbidly over-nourished and 3 children very obviously by 2 different fathers (the older 2 were already waddling and she was buying them crisps and pop, but that's another matter). I'm sure she loved her kids, but perhaps she simply wasn't bright enough to change her behaviour.
Old 23 May 2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking it is because in Paige's case there was a reason to believe she had gone off on her own and that they would hear from her soon. Which is what happened. I'm sure her parents were worried, of course they were, but it is a very different scenario when an 11 yr old leaves home and doesn't come back for some reason, a reason the parents may suspect already and do not wish to share with the world at large, as opposed to a 3 yr old being taken from her bedroom.

And whilst there was no media saturation it certainly sounds like the police took her disappearance very seriously:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...de2ffcebe6.lpf

Last edited by Christie; 23 May 2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 23 May 2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking it is because in Paige's case there was a reason to believe she had gone off on her own and that they would hear from her soon. Which is what happened. I'm sure her parents were worried, of course they were, but it is a very different scenario when an 11 yr old leaves home and doesn't come back for some reason, a reason the parents may suspect already and do not wish to share with the world at large, as opposed to a 3 yr old being taken from her bedroom.

And whilst there was no "media saturation" it certainly sounds like then police too her disappearance very seriously:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...de2ffcebe6.lpf
AIUI unless the person is "vulnerable" (including very young) or abduction is feared, most turn up within 24 hours.
Old 23 May 2007, 01:19 PM

I can understand the huge interest in this story.
Is it not unusual for a three year to be missing, presumed abducted by random strangers? It's not commonplace here.
If it had been my child abducted, I would be using every means possible including publicity to try to get her back.

The police usually check out if there are unusual circumstances like estranged parents, differing nationalities, court orders, etc., or if it's a child that has runaway. This case does not appear to be any of these.

Would there not be standard police procedures that the Portuguese police would have used in this case like most western police forces?
Old 23 May 2007, 01:22 PM

Please note I have said nothing about the police in either Madeleine's or Paige's situations. I am talking about media coverage.
Old 23 May 2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
Would there not be standard police procedures that the Portuguese police would have used in this case like most western police forces?
I'm sure they do. Portuguese police apparently work to a greater degree of secrecy than UK forces which is why it doesn't seem to us that much is happening or that there are standard procedures being followed. Unlike Brit police they don't give blow-by-blow accounts of the investigation so far or the procedures they are following. I can understand why - if you tell criminals all about the methods and procedures, they'll come up with ways to circumvent them.
Old 23 May 2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Please note I have said nothing about the police in either Madeleine's or Paige's situations. I am talking about media coverage.
Apologies, but it could have been a mis-reading of your statement that Madeline got a "Europe-wide hunt" and Paige presumably did not.

This term usually implies the involvement of law enforcement agencies on an unusually large scale.