snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 01 November 2014, 01:35 AM

Cheer My job was full of good surprises

I do not know if I should be using the cheering emote of the mouth falling open emote since I sort of doing both with the news today. I have been working contract for a Japanese company for the last 6 month and today was the last day for all us as contract. When working contract you tend to get paid more, because you will be working short time and are expected to come up to speed very fast with no or very little training, also you receive zero benefits. There is absolute no job security and fire you for no reason with out any notice. So with out going in to much detail that I probably should not be talking about. They made a job offer of a salary that is 10% hire than my hourly rate plus all the benefits that come with it. Though I will no longer get time + half for over time. I will have to live with time + $5.00 for over time and expect an average of 200 hour of it per year.

I did out of guilt try to explain to them it was to much, but they said my work as been worth it so far and they were going to make sure I keep earning it.

There is nothing better that work for a job that you think of a hobby and are well paid for your time.
Old 01 November 2014, 02:06 AM

Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
I will have to live with time + $5.00 for over time and expect an average of 200 hour of it per year.
A lot of salaried jobs don't even have a concept of overtime, so the fact that you get paid any is a plus. Of course the flip side of that is it means you have to account for your time a lot more carefully.
Old 01 November 2014, 04:13 PM

That is very cool, especially the extra hours. Like errata said, most places (like everywhere I have worked) just sort of count the extra hours as something you have to do to get salary.
Old 01 November 2014, 05:14 PM

For what they are paying I would have no problem working the extra hours with out the pay. Lets just say my salary is not a 6 figures until you add in a few of the benefits.

I do hope I will live up to their expectation. Personally I will not worry to much about it and like always do the best I can and keep working on ways to be better.
Old 01 November 2014, 05:36 PM

Well that is certainly a happy end to all that's gone on for you this year! Congratulations!