snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 31 May 2018, 06:27 PM

I actually did get my user name changed once upon a time, when I was going through a bad divorce, and my ex had hacked all my IDs, but I think that was before snopes went through HIS bad divorce. Guess he's not paying attention nowadays. Sorry to hear that, Karyn.
Old 31 May 2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
How big is your living room? Large enough for a weekly gathering?
I think travel time would likely be more of an issue.

There are other boards still out there -- maybe we could pick one?
Old 31 May 2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
-- I just took a ten second look at the members list, but I'm not seeing sign up dates by the names, only most recent visit dates. Didn't the sign up dates also use to show there?
I think so. With the advanced Search it is possible to search by Join date. The last new person is December 2017. There is a significant decrease in newcomers after September 2016.

Somehow I have the impression that this board never recovered from the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

ETA: Oops. Missed the second page. I have no idea about the overhead of a vBulletin system, but I was part of a schism 2-3 years ago on another board. I participated in both, as did most, so the second board eventually died as it was just a duplicate of the first one.

Maybe volunteering to mod would be a possibility? Member for 13 years should count for something, I think...

Last edited by Die Capacitrix; 31 May 2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 31 May 2018, 08:26 PM

I'm not sure what happens but there are new members being added daily if you go by the info given at the bottom of the screen under statistics. "Welcome to our newest member...". I've long wondered what happens to these people - I know some of them aren't real people at all but surely some are.
Old 31 May 2018, 08:30 PM

I wonder of that advance search only searches members who have posted.

At there very bottom of the index page, it says the latest new member is N1cole! who apparently joined today. But has no posts.

I'm not sure what this information means in the terms of this discussion. Are these "new" members just people who have signed up but not been moderator approved? Or have they been approved but are not posting? Something else.

It would not be technically difficult to host a version of a board somewhere else, but getting everything transferred would take some level of cooperation.

I still suggest the first thing to try is getting more active moderators.
Old 31 May 2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskinner View Post
I wonder of that advance search only searches members who have posted.

At there very bottom of the index page, it says the latest new member is N1cole! who apparently joined today. But has no posts.

I'm not sure what this information means in the terms of this discussion. Are these "new" members just people who have signed up but not been moderator approved? Or have they been approved but are not posting? Something else.

It would not be technically difficult to host a version of a board somewhere else, but getting everything transferred would take some level of cooperation.

I'm willing to volunteer. I've been here 17 years at this point (wow - that long! Geez!) I may not post a lot, but I check in every day. I moderate a few other groups (including one very active hometown Facebook group with over 3k members)...if Snopes is wanting to add a few people to moderate, that is.

I don't think it was the '16 election that did it - it's been dying for a lot longer than that...
Old 31 May 2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post

I don't think it was the '16 election that did it - it's been dying for a lot longer than that...
I think 2016 though coincided, for whatever reasons, with a few regulars either leaving completely or certainly starting to post very infrequently. I don't know if was the election, the rise of FB or whatever but while the board had started to slow down by then it's gotten worse since.
Old 31 May 2018, 09:23 PM

Frying Pan

Sorry, I can't get to New York every week. I'm in "flyover country", but my living room isn't that big, and my wife would have a fit!
Old 31 May 2018, 09:34 PM

Under the snopes statistics there is now a "welcome to our newest member - Karyn".
Old 31 May 2018, 09:38 PM

... which can't be found in the "Community/Member List" or in a search.

My guess would be that it's a request awaiting moderation.

You can search on "start date"; it only found 2 since 1/1/2017; I'm hoping that the member list is just broken.
Old 31 May 2018, 09:40 PM

Sorry, don't get excited.

That's me. I was seeing if a new account could be made and would be able to post. It allowed me to use the name "Karyn" saying it was still available.

I moved forward with it thinking if I can push it through I'll pm Karyn and give her the login information so she can have an account under her name.

I didn't actually think it would work, and maybe it still won't since it's in that moderation land where it will let you log in, but not post yet.

I'm sorry if it makes anything worse for Karyn though by trying to use the name to get it through (if it won't let her use it later because I did this). That wasn't my intent.
Old 31 May 2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Alia View Post

I didn't actually think it would work, and maybe it still won't since it's in that moderation land where it will let you log in, but not post yet. .
Did it always do this? I can remember when I joined that my posts didn't always show up right away which made participation a bit problematic especially in the threads that moved fast - not much an issue now though I guess . But I don't remember being able to log in and not post.
Old 31 May 2018, 10:18 PM

I don't think it's always done anything, but this is something that was done for a while, and apparently still is. When there were active moderators new members would be approved fairly quickly. Quickly enough that it would seem one was never in moderation.
Old 31 May 2018, 10:20 PM

Icon06

Quote:
I'm willing to volunteer. I've been here 17 years at this point (wow - that long! Geez!) I may not post a lot, but I check in every day. I moderate a few other groups (including one very active hometown Facebook group with over 3k members)...if Snopes is wanting to add a few people to moderate, that is.

Itís funny how it suddenly creeps up on you that the people who used to be such big voices here have just left the room without a goodbye. The whole divorce etc. completely passed me by until I realised I hadnít seen Barbaraís sign off for a while. Sadly now a days I only see some familiar names when a poster has died.
Old 31 May 2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I don't think it's always done anything, but this is something that was done for a while, and apparently still is. When there were active moderators new members would be approved fairly quickly. Quickly enough that it would seem one was never in moderation.
I joined in 2011 and I know I was in moderation for at least a few weeks if not longer. Someone was definitely doing something in terms of moderating then because not every post saw the light of day. If new posters are still being placed in limbo but no one is actually reading their posts I can see why we haven't had new posts from new posters in awhile!
Old 31 May 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Alia View Post
It allowed me to use the name "Karyn" saying it was still available.
If Karyn tried to start an account using a slightly different version, though -- say adding an initial -- both versions might still be under consideration.

Or, depending on how things are set up, two potential users applying for the same name might be something the moderation process is supposed to sort out, rather than its being purely first-come-first-served.

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of that so much, as of looking around at other existing and still reasonably lively forums that include both fact-investigating interests and some general conversation threads, and bearing them in mind as possible backups if needed. Straight Dope, or TVTropes, or Cracked, maybe. None of them is snopes, of course; I'd rather stay here if it's viable. But there are some things in common; and, if we'd agreed on a particular place or three to look, we might at least be able to find each other.

Starting up a new board seems to me to have the problem that we'd be starting with a subset of posters from what's already become a slow board; and where would more posters come from, if the board were a stand alone thing?

Quote:
If snopes is interested, that does sound like a good idea; at least, if the apparent hangups in getting posters out of moderation, and Karyn's problem to begin with, are caused by lack of moderators. I haven't seen a lot else that's seemed, to me at least, to call for a mod hat.
Old 01 June 2018, 01:53 PM

It's pretty obvious to me that snopes doesn't put a priority on the board any longer. The focus has just moved. There's no longer a need for volunteer researchers because he's got a staff of people researching and writing. He used to post written articles here to gain Google traction but that isn't as important anymore and in general traffic has moved to Facebook. Snopes.com is no longer the mom and pop website it used to be, and message board in general are in decline so it's understandable that this board will suffer from it. He's likely not going to shut it down, but it clearly is suffering from benign neglect.

There's always Reddit. Anyone can create and moderate a Reddit subforum. The discussion threads work a little differently (much more like old school snopes) and takes some getting used to but you don't have to have a Facebook account, you can still use pseudonyms and you could set up several moderators to help out. Worth thinking about.
Old 01 June 2018, 02:45 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/SnopesMsgbrd/

Here we go. A home away from home on reddit for all those interested.
Old 01 June 2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SnopesMsgbrd/

Here we go. A home away from home on reddit for all those interested.
Unfortunately, reddit is a site commonly blocked by employer firewalls, it is for me at least. So that is a place to which I, for one, can not follow.

ETA: Though I presume that is probably true for just about any site for some user or the other.
Old 01 June 2018, 03:39 PM

I've bookmarked the reddit site in case; though I haven't, at least so far, signed up at reddit, so I couldn't post on it.

That might work at least for a place if needed to check in with each other. Thanks, Morrigan.