snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 15 July 2015, 12:13 PM

Icon05 Trees grew through these abandoned chairs?

It came from Facebook!

Or someone just unscrewed the back rests, placed the chairs around the trees and screwed the back rests back on .... nahhhhhhh, the answer is obviously Hitler Did It.
Old 15 July 2015, 01:08 PM

Also, they are pretty haphazardly placed for "chairs that were placed for a wedding".

Where are the chairs that didn't get a tree? and everyone was so busy with the war, and for decades after, to go pick up a few lousy chairs?
Old 15 July 2015, 01:20 PM

Wow, who makes these chairs that held up so well to 76 years of being out doors with no sign of significant weathering.
Old 15 July 2015, 01:25 PM

Baseball

It looks like an artist's project.

Eerie and intriguing nonetheless.
Old 15 July 2015, 01:33 PM

The chairs look newer than 1939, too -- in style, I mean, as well as lack of wear.
Old 15 July 2015, 01:43 PM

My first thought was that since we don't see the tops of these trees, that they could be cut off just outside of the photo and the chairs could have been placed easily through the backs. It's probably some art project that had the "explanation" added, as a google image search only turns up the picture in various postings with no context.
Old 15 July 2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
Wow, who makes these chairs that held up so well to 76 years of being out doors with no sign of significant weathering.
The caption says they've been repainted.

It looks too neat to me: every tree grew through its chair in the exact same fashion, fitting neatly between seat and back? That doesn't seem plausible.

And the trees don't look 76 years old to me; not unless the growth rates were very slow for some reason.
Old 15 July 2015, 02:05 PM

The photo is on Pinterest here, with text about unscrewing the chair backs:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/122723158567878748/

Apologies for the link to Pinterest, which appears to have become the most annoying and intrusive site ever in terms of the amount of information it demands, before even showing you enough things to make an informed choice about the things it's asking.

Having gone through the rigmarole of signing up so I could actually see what it says, it adds no more information to what we already had, other than that the person who posted it says it's done by unscrewing the chair backs, rather than making up a ridiculous story about how some trees all happened to grow in exactly the right spot underneath some irregularly placed chairs.
Old 15 July 2015, 03:26 PM

And, after 75 years a chair would not be sitting at grade, it would be at partially (or completely) buried.
Old 15 July 2015, 05:31 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
And the trees don't look 76 years old to me; not unless the growth rates were very slow for some reason.
There are some forests in, I think, France where the trees barely grew, so that 100 year old trees are probably at least that skinny. I read about this in a forestry magazine a long time ago and (frustratingly) can't get Google to help me find more. Basically, the problem was that the trees weren't suited for the location, so while they lived, they did not seed new trees, and they grew very, very slowly.

Seaboe
Old 16 July 2015, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
The caption says they've been repainted.

It looks too neat to me: every tree grew through its chair in the exact same fashion, fitting neatly between seat and back? That doesn't seem plausible.

Sorry I was being sarcastic. Even stuff left outside where I live wouldn't look that good after 76 yrs (even with repainting) let alone a wetter clime like Poland.
Old 16 July 2015, 04:02 PM

snopes has it covered.

http://m.snopes.com/polish-wwii-chairs/

Art installation wins.
Old 16 July 2015, 11:51 PM

I'm assuming that it's a former logging site that has been abandoned, which is why the trees are so uniformly spaced. I can't help thinking that with some careful management the space could be turned into an decent ecosystem with more than a few spartan dandelions. The canteen chair growth seems to be thriving, though. In a couple of years there may even be a formica table or two!
Old 17 July 2015, 12:58 AM

Another thing about it - those don't look like actual functional chairs, either. The seats have been cut down so that the tree trunks fit through the gap easily. They'd be rather uncomfortable to sit on if that was a real chair design - the seats are just a narrow board at the front!
Old 17 July 2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I'm assuming that it's a former logging site that has been abandoned, which is why the trees are so uniformly spaced.
I'd guess it was a tree plantation
Old 17 July 2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
Sorry I was being sarcastic. Even stuff left outside where I live wouldn't look that good after 76 yrs (even with repainting) let alone a wetter clime like Poland.
I could have sworn I posted this, but if so it's disappeared.

I thought you were being sarcastic; but I thought that a fresh repainting might cover damage well enough for the chairs to look OK in a photograph, so that other reasons against the story being true were more convincing (snopes having found the artist of course settles the matter in any case.)

I've seen a fresh paint job on an old car that entirely concealed a great deal of rust, at least until my mechanic put the car up on the lift and checked the places the painter hadn't bothered to get to. (No, I didn't buy it; I was suspicious of that paint job in the first place.)
Old 17 July 2015, 03:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I'm assuming that it's a former logging site that has been abandoned, which is why the trees are so uniformly spaced. I can't help thinking that with some careful management the space could be turned into an decent ecosystem with more than a few spartan dandelions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I'd guess it was a tree plantation
If it was a tree plantation, that would explain the sparse undergrowth. But please, do not assume that because an area has sparse undergrowth that it is not a thriving ecosystem. There are a lot of reasons why an area with trees would have little to no undergrowth, some of which are completely natural and "careful management" would create a non-natural ecosystem.

Seaboe