snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 08 January 2013, 04:56 AM

Disney At Disney Parks, a Bracelet Meant to Build Loyalty (and Sales)

Imagine Walt Disney World with no entry turnstiles. Cash? Passť: Visitors would wear rubber bracelets encoded with credit card information, snapping up corn dogs and Mickey Mouse ears with a tap of the wrist. Smartphone alerts would signal when it is time to ride Space Mountain without standing in line.

Fantasyland? Hardly. It happens starting this spring.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/bu...and-sales.html
Old 08 January 2013, 02:46 PM

The writer knows nothing. The bracelets he describe would be part of Tomorrowland, not Fantasyland. Sheesh.
Old 09 January 2013, 03:48 PM

I wonder when this will start up? It just so happens that I will be at Disney World for Star Wars Weekends this May. I hope this is up and running by then, because it sounds like it should make things a little smoother.
Old 09 January 2013, 05:22 PM

I read something a few months back that referenced something Iger referred to as the "Next generation experience" I am guessing this is part of what he was talking about.

I think it sounds pretty cool also. If you go and do a vacation package, they already have all your information on your key, and the key is now your bracelet and fast pass.

They are moving toward improving virtual ride queueing that was started with the FastPass system. Disney sees people standing in line for multiple hours as lost opportunity to get those people to spend money.

On our last trip (July of 2012) We learned that they are enforcing the fast pass return times on both ends. From our experience they never enforced the back end of the window in years prior. We also noticed that the Fast Pass line went much faster than it had in the past.

We also really took advantage of the Iphone app. If we saw a favorite ride standby time go down, we would take advantage of it.
Old 09 January 2013, 05:35 PM

Disney continues to bowl me over with its genius management of the parks. I just went to Disneyland for the first time in years...on New Year's Eve. In addition to being a major holiday, it was the first sunny day after almost a week of rain. It was so crowded I don't think there was a single moment throughout the day I could have extended both arms without hitting at least two people. And yet, with careful Fastpass management, we managed nearly a dozen rides without ever waiting more than two hours, and we were able to go back to our car and get back into the park twice with minimal hassle. Even parking took less time than it does at school!
Old 09 January 2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
We also really took advantage of the Iphone app. If we saw a favorite ride standby time go down, we would take advantage of it.
Do you know if there is an android version of that app, and if so what it is called?
Old 09 January 2013, 07:08 PM

Its "My Disney Experience" -- and is available in the Android Play store.

I have a very good friend(ex employee of mine) who has played a major role in the development of the Next Gen experience -- and it sounds great..

but it can either benefite or alienate folks -- as it is people think that the Fastpass system is only for "Resort guests" -- i have explained this to folks waiting for hours on one of the mountains - when i hear them complain about this "perk" -- Disney will have to make sure that this program is promoted loud and clear!

Can't wait for my august trip!!!
Old 09 January 2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Do you know if there is an android version of that app, and if so what it is called?
It is called My Disney Experience. I don't know if it is on Android or not, sorry.

A little googling seems to indicate that it is available on Android.

Last edited by CenTex; 09 January 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09 January 2013, 07:39 PM

As far as FastPass goes I think one one of the other parks (Universal maybe) offered a fastpass type system that you had to pay a premium for. The sad thing is that a $15 WDW guide book will tell you all you need to know about the FastPass system, and any Disney employee particularly those working that attraction would be more than happy to explain it to you.

I read somewhere (could be UL) that something like 60% of Disney guests use FastPass.
Old 20 January 2013, 09:45 PM

Icon18 Customer Beware: You Are Being Tracked

Are you planning to visit Disneyland anytime soon? If so, watch out when you are offered its latest marketing innovation, the MagicBand. When it's introduced later this year, this oh-so-cuddly wristband will be embedded with a radio frequency identification (RFID) microchip and be part of a system dubbed MyMagic+. It will enable the company to monitor, track and analyze your every activity.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-libert...-being-tracked
Old 20 January 2013, 09:48 PM

Ponder

Quote:
In some of the most sophisticated outlets, wireless transmitters are embedded in shopping carts and in overhead sensors. These devices map how a customer moves through the store, where she stops to read the label or compare prices. Of special interest to retailers is the time spent in front of a display or kiosk, in a dressing room or the lavatory.
I don't really consider this type of activity to be "spying" or an "invasion of privacy." It isn't tracking and recording what I, personally, do -- it's gathering data on how consumers as group behave in general.
Old 21 January 2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTex View Post
It is called My Disney Experience. I don't know if it is on Android or not, sorry.

A little googling seems to indicate that it is available on Android.
Thanks, CenTex. I have just downloaded it. Looks like it should be helpful, although there are a lot of bad reviews. I generally don't care about the reviews, but I hope the issues they discuss are gone by spring.