snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 02 October 2018, 04:50 PM

Disney Disney Parks getting rid of chairs and benches

Disney taking out benches and chairs in order to widen walkways and paths for guests.

https://www.businessinsider.com/disn...t-park-2018-10
Old 02 October 2018, 05:36 PM

So if they're doing "demand pricing," can I get a major discount if I go there on an unpopular day?
Old 02 October 2018, 05:56 PM

I guess they're figuring their key demographics are not the elderly and the less physically robust because not having a place to sit down and rest is going to really cut down on people in those groups going to their parks.
Old 02 October 2018, 06:03 PM

These have always been problems, but they have tons of cast members to keep traffic flowing and they probably think that people will buy more food by having the only seating in the eateries.
Old 02 October 2018, 07:59 PM

Glasses

My experience at Disneyland (I've never been to Disneyworld, alas) is that the supposed available seating is never available anyway, and that the only real way to find a place to sit down is to get on a ride or go to a restaurant. I don't see how that will change.

Sue, for the elderly or not physically robust, I suspect the park expects them to use scooters, and that use will probably increase.

Seaboe
Old 02 October 2018, 09:02 PM

At the risk of sounding like an overly privileged abled person, when I used to frequent the park, I used to wish they would have occasional days where strollers and wheelchairs were banned. OK, with wheelchairs I'm being unreasonable, and there usually aren't that many -- but the strollers make a pretty major contribution to the congestion, and they have to allocate a fair amount of space for stroller parking near attractions as well. When I'm being particularly grumpy, I will also note that a kid too young to walk around isn't old enough to appreciate the park anyway. (Though to be fair, even kids who are mobile and aware can tire out, and I don't blame parents for using strollers even for kids who can walk much of the time.)

And scooters -- hoo boy.

But taking benches and planters out seems like a bad solution. Rearranging them to keep them out of the traffic flow, sure. I can think of some other steps that might help, too, but that's getting off-track.
Old 03 October 2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
When I'm being particularly grumpy, I will also note that a kid too young to walk around isn't old enough to appreciate the park anyway. (Though to be fair, even kids who are mobile and aware can tire out, and I don't blame parents for using strollers even for kids who can walk much of the time.)
Also, kids who are old enough to walk/appreciate the park often have younger siblings.
Old 03 October 2018, 04:18 PM

I totally hear you on being annoyed by strollers. Anyone who has ever tried to use public transit and ended up hemmed in by three enormous strollers can identify with this. It does seem like for many people a stroller isn't just a way to move their child from point A to point B but it also has to be large enough to keep half the contents of their home with them at all times! That said I don't see strollers not being used anytime soon. And not that anyone has suggested it but Disney may think the elderly and infirm can just suck it up (or not come to their parks) but there is no way they would ever ban strollers and risk alienating half their client base!
Old 03 October 2018, 01:58 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Article here.

I get their reasoning, but I also see unintended consequences such as people bringing their own seating, using restaurant chairs without ordering food, or just plain sitting down on the ground.
Disneyland is never going to let you bring in your own seating. I don't think they even allow walkers.