snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 08 May 2015, 03:55 PM

Spit Take Study Finds No Evidence for 'Aspartame Sensitivity'

Late last month, Pepsi announced that it will remove the artificial sweetener aspartame from its diet Pepsi products by the end of this year, bowing to consumer concerns that the sweetener poses a number of health risks. Questionable Internet sources have stoked these fears, accusing aspartame of causing cancer, multiple sclerosis, blindness, seizures, memory loss, depression, and birth defects. Alternative medicine guru Dr. Joseph Mercola even called the sweetener "By far the most dangerous substance added to most foods today."

It is no wonder, then, that some individuals worry that they may be "sensitive" to aspartame, and report experiencing symptoms like headache, nausea, dizziness, and congestion after consuming food containing the sweetener. A study published in March to the journal PLoS ONE put their claims to the test, however, and found no evidence of any acute adverse response to aspartame.

http://www.realclearscience.com/jour...st_109214.html
Old 08 May 2015, 04:03 PM

Even if a few people were sensitive to it, surely the solution would be for them not to consume it.
Old 08 May 2015, 04:11 PM

True, but it seems that many people believe in 'sensitivity to X' which does not exist. In this case, the topic is aspartame, and as the Pepsi example shows, decisions are being made on the basis of rumor, presumption, unfounded correlations, etc. We see the same thing with vaccines, gluten and a number of other social-media bogeymen. Hopefully at least some people will see results such as this and question their own notions about aspartame, or whatever other claim is debunked.
Old 08 May 2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
True, but it seems that many people believe in 'sensitivity to X' which does not exist.
Yes, I understand that issue, as well.

I'd like to believe this would help with the larger situation, but I'm not optimistic. I suspect this will be dismissed as "big chemical" or "big food" propaganda.
Old 08 May 2015, 05:55 PM

when i drink diet coke. my hands get a tremor.
when i drink diet sprite my hands get a tremor.
when i drink coffee sweetened with aspartame my hands get a tremor.
when i chew gum sweetened with aspartame my hands get a tremor.

i stopped using products with aspartame, and i stopped getting hand tremors.
Old 08 May 2015, 07:59 PM

Me, I avoid aspartame just because I dislike the taste.
Old 08 May 2015, 09:53 PM

Yep, me too.

As far as gluten sensitivity I was told to limit my gluten by a gastroenterologist for that reason and the inflammation in my body (as measured by blood tests, not subjectively) has gone down so I will go on believing in it in certain cases, thankyouverymuch. People always say, "Did a doctor tell you ...?" Well, actually, yeah.
Old 09 May 2015, 01:48 AM

Yeah but there is a big difference between being diagnosis properly and self diagnosis. If you remove something from your diet and you feel better well you should continue that. But unfortunalty some people hear about someone being senistive to something and decided it is bad for all people.

I went of a picnic once with a group I met online (someone in the group lead me here to snopes so happy day ) We all took something to share and one of the group said about their dish "It is gluten free so it is good for us" Well not really, unless you have a problem with gluten. I was talking about this to some workmates and one said "Well of course it could still be high in fat in sugar and fat" arh not my point. I explained about gluten not being nessarily bad for you and they look at me blankly.

I diagnosised myself as lactose intolarent but I haven't entirely removed dairy from my diet. I just limit it. And use yougurt on ceral instead of milk. But I don't think everyone should remove dairy from their diet, unless they have similar problems.

My Dad is allergic to chilli seeds, but it is just his allergy, Mum and I still like it and I use in my cooking (when not cooking for Dad)
Old 12 May 2015, 03:57 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
i stopped using products with aspartame, and i stopped getting hand tremors.
My sister in law and a friend both get mood swings from (apparently) aspartame. It makes another friend throw up.

Nonetheless, all of these (including yours) are anecdotes, not data. I'm all for ceasing consumption of things that cause (g)you to react. It's the extrapolation from a single individual to the world at large that gets iffy.

Seaboe
Old 12 May 2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
Yep, me too.

As far as gluten sensitivity I was told to limit my gluten by a gastroenterologist for that reason and the inflammation in my body (as measured by blood tests, not subjectively) has gone down so I will go on believing in it in certain cases, thankyouverymuch.
I should hope so. I don't think the OP article, or any article debunking anecdotal accounts of sensitivities to various things, is intended to suggest that NO sensitivity is real.

ETA: Interfering people who want to second-guess g-your medical professional is a whole 'nother issue. :-)

Last edited by Lainie; 12 May 2015 at 04:22 PM.