I read about it here:

http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles...d-in-texas-for

linked from here:

http://www.johnlowry.com/johnny/2009...bood-in-texas/

The blogs state that there was originally an article in the Waco Tribune
which was pulled due to embarrassment. That seems like the source of a
rumor to me.
Old 23 April 2009, 08:10 PM

The original news article is archived, and can be retrieved from here. Viewing the full article requires a subscription, but the abstract does mention that Bill Nye "ruffled a few religious feathers along the way".
Old 23 April 2009, 08:33 PM

I have a vague recollection of Nye getting some boos, perhaps in Texas, for statements about things like evolution, the Earth being more than htousands of years old, and/or tectonics, but not for the moon shining by reflected light. While there are verses of the Bible that refer to the moon shining in ways that suggest it has its own non-solar light source, that is a very rare issue to get even the staunchest of literalists het up about.
Old 23 April 2009, 09:47 PM

We covered this about a year ago. Yes, it does say that Nye stated the moon reflects light, which it does. He viewed this as a contrast to Genesis 1:16:

Quote:
God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.
This states, according to Nye, that the bible says both sun and moon are self-lit "lights". I've never heard this outside of this particular syntax, even in churches. It seems it's an attack on bible literalism that isn't really viewed as such. By anybody.
Old 23 April 2009, 09:47 PM

I have a vague recollection of this supposing to have happened, but really, what's the big deal? Two thousand years ago, people didn't know light reflected from the sun. The moon appears to have its own light, so it stands to reason that that conclusion would be drawn. Time passes, we understand our universe more, we discover that the moon doesn't have its own light, but reflects light from the sun. This doesn't mean that religion's been turned on its ear or anything, just that the people who wrote the bible didn't know better.
Old 23 April 2009, 09:51 PM

Well, Genesis doesn't exactly say by what method the light exists; moon phases seem to indicate that it isn't really self-lit. I have no idea what people in antiquity would think of this, but it sure doesn't seem like it has its own light.
Old 23 April 2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambubba View Post
... I have no idea what people in antiquity would think of this, but it sure doesn't seem like it has its own light.
Aristotle knew that a lunar eclipse was the shadow of the earth on the moon (and he used this to argue for a spherical earth, because the earth's shadow was always circular). That implies that he knew the moon shone by reflected sunlight.

Nick
Old 23 April 2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
Aristotle knew that a lunar eclipse was the shadow of the earth on the moon (and he used this to argue for a spherical earth, because the earth's shadow was always circular). That implies that he knew the moon shone by reflected sunlight.
I'm fairly certain that Aristotle doesn't appear in the Bible
Old 23 April 2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I'm fairly certain that Aristotle doesn't appear in the Bible
No, but he's a person of antiquity.

Nick
Old 23 April 2009, 10:19 PM

Neener, Neener

Quote:
No, but he's a person of antiquity.
So's your momma!
Old 23 April 2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
So's your momma!
My mom's dead.

Nick
Old 23 April 2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
My mom's dead.

Nick
Correction: So's g-your momma.
Old 23 April 2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleiguana View Post
I have a vague recollection of this supposing to have happened, but really, what's the big deal? Two thousand years ago, people didn't know light reflected from the sun.
Not commenting on the OP, but the big deal for some people would be that it contradicts the Bible. If one believes the Bible is both divinely inspired and literally true, it wouldn't matter that people 2,000 years ago didn't know how the moon works - God should have known.
Old 23 April 2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
King James Bible, Genesis 1:16
And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
It just says God made two great lights. No where does it say how it was done. If I see a source of light, does it really matter whether it is reflected or not. God did not bother to tell us if it was direct light or not. If it was that important to know you thing God would have mentioned it somewhere.
Old 23 April 2009, 11:33 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambubba View Post
We covered this about a year ago. Yes, it does say that Nye stated the moon reflects light, which it does. He viewed this as a contrast to Genesis 1:16:

Quote:
God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.
This states, according to Nye, that the bible says both sun and moon are self-lit "lights". I've never heard this outside of this particular syntax, even in churches. It seems it's an attack on bible literalism that isn't really viewed as such. By anybody.
Well, as we've learned on snopes, you can (almost!) never get away with saying "never." My cousin is not only a Biblical literalist, she's also one of those who exaggerates Biblical literalism. For example, she believes that all women, even today, have one more rib than men do. A literal reading of the Bible might indicate that Adam was short one rib -- but it doesn't indicate anything about Cain, Abel, or any of the men who follow! But her church insists on this -- even in the face of tons (literally!) of contradictory evidence (like, nearly every human skeleton!)

And...her church teaches that the moon is not visible in the daytime. Nope. Nuh-uh. Whatever it is you're looking up and seeing isn't the Moon! the Moon glows with its own light, and rules the night. Not the daytime. Never.

Talk about your "lunacy..."

Silas (also, the Apollo programs were faked...and blasphemous, because "apollo" was a demon who pretended to be a god...)
Old 24 April 2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
And...her church teaches that the moon is not visible in the daytime. Nope. Nuh-uh. Whatever it is you're looking up and seeing isn't the Moon! the Moon glows with its own light, and rules the night. Not the daytime. Never.
The bible only said the greater light to governs the day. Even if the noon is visible during the day, it does not govern it. Since day is defined the sun and night by its absents. Therefor the sun can never be seen in the night sky. The noon on the other had does not define day or night and therefore can be seen during the day.

That is the problem with churches they tend to make and/or want people to stop thinking for themselves. The can go to great lengths to add words are redefine them to make things meet their beliefs.
Old 24 April 2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleiguana View Post
Two thousand years ago, people didn't know light reflected from the sun.
But God did. Or wait. No. God didn't know it, or else He would've had the mortals through whom he wrote the Bible write it that way. Except he made the moon. So surely he knew whether he made a lamp or a mirror. So if he had written about them, then he would've written about a lamp and a mirror, instead of two lamps. But he didn't write that. Or have his Sims write that. So either it isn't true, and both are light sources or God was wrong, or God didn't write that passage, or didn't oversee the writing of that passage. Sine God is infallible, that leaves either the moon is a lamp or the Bible has stuff in it that's wrong.

Which is the preferable conclusion? That depends on how badly gyou need every word of the Bible to be right.
Old 24 April 2009, 03:34 AM
Altered Statesman

Didn't God 'make' 'light' on the 1st day before he 'made' the moon and sun on the 4th day? Obviously light doesn't come from the sun if light was around before the sun...

"“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” -Ferdinand Magellan"
Old 28 April 2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Statesman View Post
Didn't God 'make' 'light' on the 1st day before he 'made' the moon and sun on the 4th day? Obviously light doesn't come from the sun if light was around before the sun...
I could be way wrong, but I always assumed a big bang theory of the origin of the universe implied that there would have been light somewhere in the universe way before our sun formed.

me
Old 28 April 2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Statesman View Post
"“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” -Ferdinand Magellan"
Bit of a nitpick, but there's no evidence Magellan said that. It apparently originated with the late nineteenth century American orator Robert Ingersoll, who attributed it to Magellan.