snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 10 May 2018, 10:36 PM

Bang Head Police called after black Yale student fell asleep in common room

Lolade Siyonbola is a black postgraduate student at Yale University. She shares a common room with other students that live in the same hall of residence.

On 8 May, a white student living in the Ivy League university's hall of graduate studies saw Lolade napping on a sofa in the shared room.

She called the police.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44068305
Old 10 May 2018, 11:06 PM

Not-So-Dear White Student Who Presumably Has A Brain But Doesn't Seem To Be Using It:

Yes, people fall asleep on couches in dorm common rooms. That is part of what they're for.

And no, being black in your presence is not a crime.

-- Facebook kicked me off the video linked in the story partway through for not signing in (I don't have or want a Facebook account to sign in with.) But apparently the student who called the police had done it before, to a visiting friend of the person she did it to this time.
Old 11 May 2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Not-So-Dear White Student Who Presumably Has A Brain But Doesn't Seem To Be Using It:
You're being a hell of a lot more charitable than I am, I'm afraid. She clearly has no brain to use in the first place.
Old 11 May 2018, 12:27 AM

I wonder if it's considered harassment since she's done it more than once?

Probably not. She'd probably get a "please don't do this again though there won't be any consequences if you do."
Old 11 May 2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochrie99 View Post
You're being a hell of a lot more charitable than I am, I'm afraid. She clearly has no brain to use in the first place.
The woman in question has been ID'd; she has an impressive academic background, but has also aligned herself with some problematic ideological positions. She clearly has a brain; the problem is how she's using it.

--Bob K.
Old 11 May 2018, 01:16 AM

This happens every day and it's not all people who have 'problematic ideological positions' calling the police. Also, she was just one of many people involved. I'm pretty sure they all don't have problematic ideological positions. The problem is the country still has a lot of endemic and institutionalised racism. It's only in the news because she had the sense to start the video and because it's Yale.
Old 11 May 2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochrie99 View Post
She's obviously got a brain in at least some senses, she got into Yale.

And there are plenty of people not capable of getting into Yale who are capable of behaving decently. I really don't think the amount of brain theoretically available is the problem here.

-- if it's accurate that the same student's called the police twice in similar circumstances, ganz, I really doubt the problem is background racism; that might have caused one such incident, but not two. Either the student in question is foreground deliberately racist -- which I would say 'problematic ideological positions' is mild language for --; or she's got it in for the student who was sleeping in the common room (and whose friend got challenged in the other incident; or something strange is going on with her.

If I understood the part of the video I could see correctly, Siyonbola was calling the student who called the cops 'unstable'. I don't know whether that (presuming I heard it right) was reflex prejudice of another kind, or whether she's got some specific reason to think so.

As far as the police behavior goes, ganz, you might be right about the problem being institutional, not necessarily that the officer(s) deliberately have it in for black people. I expect most people they ask for ID just give it to them, at least if they're carrying it at the time, and they might have been put off by her temporary refusal to do so; though I think it's her legal right to refuse in those circumstances.

I hope it's in the news, not only because of Yale and the video, but because more people are starting to pay attention. But I might be wrong.
Old 11 May 2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
She's obviously got a brain in at least some senses, she got into Yale.
So did George W Bush.
Old 11 May 2018, 01:58 AM

Indeed, so that said, having brains to get into Yale is obviously no marker for, shall we say, social intelligence, maybe?
Old 11 May 2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
So did George W Bush.
You've got me there.
Old 11 May 2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Probably not. She'd probably get a "please don't do this again though there won't be any consequences if you do."
That is what happens when nobody knows about the incident. When it hits the internet and newspapers even an institution as big as Yale has to pay attention. I'm sure they have several hundred millions of dollars in federal research funding that is in jeopardy if they don't respond correctly.
Old 11 May 2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
If I understood the part of the video I could see correctly, Siyonbola was calling the student who called the cops 'unstable'. I don't know whether that (presuming I heard it right) was reflex prejudice of another kind, or whether she's got some specific reason to think so.
One reason she has to call the girl unstable is her calling the police, not once but twice, for the same reason. I can't believe this is the only interaction she's had with her - this is May of the school year. I'd assume they've encountered each other before since they share quarters.

Last edited by Sue; 11 May 2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11 May 2018, 05:35 PM

I think its just a naming thing, at Yale the campus security is called the Yale Police department.
Old 11 May 2018, 05:39 PM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Speaking of calling the police, does it get explained anywhere why she didn't call campus security but instead immediately called the police? Or is there no campus security? That seems unlikely given the size of the university but maybe?
Yes, as Beachlife! said, this IS campus security. I think it's more than just a name thing, but many large campuses have real police forces, not just "security".
Old 11 May 2018, 05:41 PM

Thanks guys! I edited my post to late but I realized after I posted that where I would have said campus security they meant campus police. I don't know for sure but I don't think universities in Canada would have their own police force! Do these people carry guns and have the power to arrest?
Old 11 May 2018, 06:09 PM

State schools generally have real police forces, with guns and the power to arrest. Yale is private though so I don't know what powers of arrest they would have. As far as guns are concerned, this is the US so the default position would be that open carry is just fine and getting a concealed carry permit is easier than getting a drivers license.
Old 11 May 2018, 06:33 PM

Gun laws vary a great deal by state so there is no "default position". Connecticut requires a permit to carry a gun in general and bans open carry on college campuses. And their concealed carry permit requires fingerprinting, testing, training, extensive background checks, and cannot be obtained if the applicant has been convicted of a number of misdemeanors or felonies.

Other than those, your analysis regarding gun laws are spot on.
Old 11 May 2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Gun laws vary a great deal by state so there is no "default position". Connecticut requires a permit to carry a gun in general and bans open carry on college campuses. And their concealed carry permit requires fingerprinting, testing, training, extensive background checks, and cannot be obtained if the applicant has been convicted of a number of misdemeanors or felonies.

Other than those, your analysis regarding gun laws are spot on.
Though even Connecticut exempts "security staff" on school campuses from the ban. I don't see it in your link, but I'm sure they also exempt police, state troopers, etc.
Old 12 May 2018, 01:13 AM

Shortly after posting this I went into the rest room and found myself confronted with not one but two men of the African-American persuasion. They were, God help us, in the process of -- right in front of me! -- washing their hands. Naturally, I sent for a SWAT team at once.

Seriously, I've been wondering if this kind of thing is happening more often in the past year or two, or if it's just that the media are finally paying some attention. I strongly suspect the latter is the main reason we seem to be hearing about these incidents more frequently, but I worry that the former may also be true.
Old 12 May 2018, 03:05 AM

Icon02

Stay safe EQT. If they don't have beards, hoodies, or unusual names you're probably OK. (Sarcasm, of course. I wish it were obvious.)

I think it's both. It definitely has always happened but I do think some people feel emboldened by the racism that comes out in the media, even from the top levels of government. People become accustomed to seeing whites everywhere in certain places, such as we have seen in the Academy of Motion Pictures and White House Interns photos (and there really couldn't be a more diverse set off people in terms of ideologies so, while I want to blame those people at the highest levels of government, no, it's the whole country) and a few people quickly return to the mindset of an era in which that was OK. Because, obviously, it is OK to most people in the US. Few people looked at that and said "no this is not OK". There have always been people who felt somehow that "other" kinds of people are only welcome if they have explicit permission but they didn't speak up as much as now because, for a while in the US, that was considered wrong and they consciously or unconsciously, knew that.

A lot of ground gained in long and difficult struggle has been lost in a very short time.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 12 May 2018 at 03:10 AM.