snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 27 April 2018, 07:59 PM

China China stabbings: Seven students killed in Shaanxi

At least seven students have been stabbed to death and 12 injured in a knife attack outside a school in northern China, officials say.

The knife-wielding man attacked the students near Mizhi County Number Three secondary school in Shaanxi province as they were heading home for the day.

A suspect is in police custody.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-43921567
Old 27 April 2018, 08:07 PM

Glasses

Five girls, two boys killed. I have to wonder if he was targeting girls because they were girls (rather than because they were the first he came across). There isn't a lot of information in the article about the logistics of the attack.

Seaboe
Old 28 April 2018, 05:33 PM

I had no idea China was experiencing this kind of crime. I thought it was an American thing. From the article:

Quote:
-A spate of unconnected stabbings at schools between 2010 and 2012 left at least 25 dead and more than 100 injured
-The country executed three men in March 2015 after they were found guilty of a savage knife attack at Kunming station, where 29 people were hacked to death and more than 100 others wounded. The trio had been convicted of murder and terrorism offences
-In July 2017, two people died and nine were injured by a knife-wielding man at a Wal-Mart supermarket in the southern city of Shenzhen
-In February, a knifeman killed a woman and injured 12 others at a Beijing shopping centre​
Of course there is a Walmart incident in there.
Old 30 April 2018, 03:40 AM

Mouse

To be fair, Walmart has a tendency to make me a little stabby, too. Either their CEO is the devil or they’ve been giving each other tips. Walmart is all the worst aspects of America enshrined in corporate form.

For the record, my comment was meant to be entirely facetious/tongue-cheek. I assumed you’d understand that, but experience has taught me that nothing goes well when you assume things, so I thought I should clarify.
Old 30 April 2018, 04:53 AM

Well, honestly, it's hard to laugh when it's about innocent people being stabbed. Sometimes "it's a joke" is not nearly enough to make it palatable.
Old 30 April 2018, 07:06 AM

Mouse

Sorry about that. I’m more of the “Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying” school of thought, but people aren’t identical to me and may experience things differently. So I apologize for my tactlessness and will shuffle out of this thread, until I have something more meaningful to contribute. Take care, everyone.