snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 14 February 2018, 09:49 PM

No ‘Number of fatalities’ after shooting at Parkland, Florida, high school, senator says

A gunman opened fire at a South Florida high school on Wednesday afternoon, killing multiple people, officials said.

The Broward County Sheriff's Office tweeted that there were "at least 14 victims" after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. It was not immediately clear how many of those victims were injured and how many had died.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...school-n848101
Old 14 February 2018, 10:04 PM

No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
Old 14 February 2018, 10:24 PM

The important thing is to work out whether or not it's a school shooting. How close to the edge of the school was it? The car park doesn't count.

Also, I believe it doesn't count if nobody dies - possibly not if only one or two people die (although I may be getting confused with the rules for a "mass shooting" rather than a "school shooting" there). And if the shooter wasn't a student, then clearly it doesn't count either - that would just be trying to politicise things.

It seems that at least one or two people have died in this one, but I wonder if we also need to take into account the physical area of the school (deaths per square metre) and the number of students, to determine whether it's anything to worry about?

(eta) I mean, whether it's anything for Americans to worry about, obviously. I'm not in the USA so I'm not overly concerned for my own safety or that of any of the schoolchildren I know.
Old 14 February 2018, 10:51 PM

Suspect, Nikolaus Cruz, in custody in Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Florida today

Seventeen people were killed and multiple people were injured when a former student opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida on Wednesday, prompting a massive police response and manhunt as frightened students hid in their classrooms.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/school-...-live-updates/
Old 14 February 2018, 10:54 PM

"In custody" is good. Too often in these things*, it seems the perpetrators end up dead and are never brought to justice. (Unless you consider death to be justice, I suppose).

* By which I mean any kind of mass killing. I'm not trying to be political or satirical now.
Old 14 February 2018, 10:59 PM

Well, regardless of what type of shooting it is, it's too soon to discuss gun control, so we can probably just table this entire discussion indefinitely.
Old 14 February 2018, 11:08 PM

This is either becoming too common or is considered too far away from here because the local CBS station out of El Paso was showing Judge Judy at 4:45 PM MST rather than reports from the scene.
Old 14 February 2018, 11:35 PM

... Whereas it's already the main headline on both the BBC and The Guardian. So it's made international news already, even if it hasn't been reported on local US channels.

To be fair, I can't see it anywhere on the front of The Hindu (an Indian English language news site) at the moment:

http://www.thehindu.com/

It is on the first page of Der Spiegel though, but not the top story:

http://www.spiegel.de/

That's enough looking at international news for me. Clearly the headlines are a political decision, and so can't be taken seriously when considering the matter.
Old 15 February 2018, 01:06 AM

To the Victims of This Tragedy We Send Our Thoughts And Prayers
Old 15 February 2018, 01:18 AM

Mouse

I assume the writer of this article spends their days drinking and crying. I understand; I have pretty much been tempted to do the same since 2016 to 2020, or until my liver explodes, whatever comes first. Because there really isn’t any satisfaction in going, “I told you so.”
Old 15 February 2018, 01:23 AM

There was just a press interview with the county sheriff.

When the question of access to guns came up, he immediately started talking about mental illness.
Old 15 February 2018, 01:55 AM

Mouse

Well, here’s another Onion article to make you drink and cry: This Shooting Isn’t About Gun Control We Refuse To Pass, It’s About Access To Mental Health Care We’re Continuing To Gut
Old 15 February 2018, 02:43 AM

Default 4 Laws That Could Stem the Rising Threat of Mass Shootings

The right gun laws do prevent shootings, research strongly indicates. And these laws do not mean confiscating everybody’s guns. Scientific American spoke with Garen Wintemute, director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis, Medical Center, and Daniel Webster, director of Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health’s Center for Gun Policy and Research, about four feasible legal and policy changes that would be most effective. Here are the life-saving laws and the data that supports them.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ext_resurface#
Old 15 February 2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Well, regardless of what type of shooting it is, it's too soon to discuss gun control, so we can probably just table this entire discussion indefinitely.
Has someone claimed yet that if we had gun control the shooter would have just found another way to kill all those people? I guess by driving a vehicle through the school halls in a reenactment of the mall scene from The Blues Brothers or something like that.
Old 15 February 2018, 04:50 AM

From E. Q. Taft’s link:

Quote:
Wintemute’s research suggests people with DUIs (driving under the influence) are four to five times as likely as people with no criminal record to be arrested for a violent crime in the future. Based on these data, Wintemute proposes a temporary ban on gun possession among individuals who have had, in the past five years, two or more convictions for DUI or another crime that indicates alcohol abuse.
While I support the first 3 laws proposed in this article, I suspect many Americans would balk at this one. I doubt that it’s passible, and a focus on background checks and domestic violence would probably have more support.

While a DUI is arguably a result of someone being irresponsible with a deadly weapon, irresponsibility and violent crime aren’t a connection most people make on their own. It would take some convincing for Americans to believe that partying makes you dangerous..
Old 15 February 2018, 10:31 AM

The sad fact is enough influential Americans have decided that murdered children are a price worth paying so they can buy a Starbucks while carrying a loaded AR-15.
Old 15 February 2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I assume the writer of this article spends their days drinking and crying. I understand; I have pretty much been tempted to do the same since 2016 to 2020, or until my liver explodes, whatever comes first. Because there really isn’t any satisfaction in going, “I told you so.”

Old 15 February 2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
From E. Q. Taft’s link:

While I support the first 3 laws proposed in this article, I suspect many Americans would balk at this one. I doubt that it’s passible, and a focus on background checks and domestic violence would probably have more support.

While a DUI is arguably a result of someone being irresponsible with a deadly weapon, irresponsibility and violent crime aren’t a connection most people make on their own. It would take some convincing for Americans to believe that partying makes you dangerous..
A DUI isn't just the result of partying, it's the result of excessive partying combined with a lack of concern for other people's safety. There's plenty of people who like partying who are responsible enough not to drink drive.
Old 15 February 2018, 11:23 AM

Icon24

I think LPP was just using partying as one example.

A DUI isn't anymore exclusively tied to drinking than drinking is exclusively tied to partying. The "under the Influence' part of DUI includes any substance that impairs one's ability to operate a car safely... whether it's drinking while watching TV, or the result drug use.

~Psihala
(*Absolutely does not drive after taking an antihistamine, but has had some wild video game experiences after taking some.)
Old 15 February 2018, 02:06 PM

45 days into the year and this is, what... the 18th mass shooting?

And conservative mouthpieces have already trotted out the "it's too early to talk about gun control" argument. I think it's time we drop the bomb on that by saying, "I'm sorry, I was talking about the last one that occurred 60 or so hours ago"