snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 27 December 2017, 12:06 PM

Jaded Cities cracking down on those who feed the homeless

I first read about this a few days ago, and thought: this is nothing new. It's called no good deed goes unpunished.
Now I get understand the garbage and waste issue, but I think those issues could be handled without the cops getting involved.
Seems to me, the big issue is individual groups don't have access (supposedly) to local governmental programs designed to help the needy. I'm thinking that not all homeless people trust or want the programs. IMO, the group mentioned is doing the right thing; perhaps at a later date someone could mention that help is available. I dunno; I don't claim to have any answer, but if someone wants to make sandwiches and hand them out to homeless people, s/he should be able to do so.
Here is the link.
Old 28 December 2017, 03:16 PM

This article has a little more info: https://www.apnews.com/ab0400475cee4...less-in-public

Quote:
A Fort Lauderdale, Florida, ordinance requiring permits to feed the homeless in a park is being challenged in federal court by another Food Not Bombs group. The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals heard arguments in that case in August but has not ruled yet.
The lawyers in that case argue the ordinances violate the group’s right to free speech because group members share food “as an expression of their political message that hunger and poverty can be ended if society’s resources are redirected from the military and war.”
Quote:
“We don’t want anybody to stop feeding people,” he said. “We just want it done in a way that’s connected to social services providers ... and not on the street corner because we can’t make sure those connections are being made in these street corner feedings.”

MacLean doesn’t buy those arguments.

“Food is a human right, and you don’t force people to do what you want them to do by withholding food,” she said.

Some avoid shelters because of strict rules, safety and health concerns or because they aren’t able to be in the same place as family or friends, she said.
I keep hearing that that homeless people avoid shelters because of rules against drug use etc., but I work with homeless people and people facing homelessness on a daily basis and I've never heard any of them say anything like that. I've known people to be frightened or disgusted by the conditions in the shelters and believe themselves safer on the streets, but that's a very different thing than choosing meth over having a roof over your head.
Old 28 December 2017, 05:38 PM

Thank you for what you're doing, Esprise Me.
Old 31 December 2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I've known people to be frightened or disgusted by the conditions in the shelters and believe themselves safer on the streets, .
I've heard the same thing; I've also heard that many shelters have a no pets allowed policy and that you cannot stay there during the day. I could be wrong.
Thanks for posting--I like hearing from those who work in something that I have only read about.
Old 31 December 2017, 07:50 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I've heard the same thing; I've also heard that many shelters have a no pets allowed policy and that you cannot stay there during the day. I could be wrong.
Thanks for posting--I like hearing from those who work in something that I have only read about.
The big thing is that most shelters are not regulated, are independently owned and operated, and they can post any rules they want.

My brother works in Vancouver with the homeless, addicted and at risk people. He works in temporary housing now but used to work in the shelters. There, you had the space for 24 hours if the weather conditions met certain limits. Pets were allowed, but not carts.

Meanwhile, other shelters in the area would only allow individuals, no pets, and it opened at 8pm and everyone was out by 8am.

So, there is no way one can know what the shelter rules are unless you call the shelter directly.