snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 10 November 2015, 12:58 PM

Canada (Cdn) Federal Court judge under review for berating sex assault complainant

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...camp-1.3311574

Robin Camp sat on Alberta provincial court when he asked, 'Couldn't you just keep your knees together?'

The Canadian Judicial Council is reviewing the conduct of a Federal Court judge who questioned the efforts of a sexual assault complainant to fend off her attacker.

The council announced Monday it will review the behaviour of Robin Camp during a 2014 case he adjudicated while serving as an Alberta Provincial Court judge. The case involved the alleged rape of a 19-year-old woman by a Calgary man, whom she accused of sexually assaulting her over a bathroom sink during a house party.

This, the Bier Markt uniform, the complaints over the 50/50 cabinet... and people think "Because it's 2015" makes our PM sound flippant.
No, it IS 2015, women's lib has been fighting for rights for almost a century or more now. It's past time to be beyond this.
Old 10 November 2015, 02:58 PM

Default Ottawa woman says police told her sexual assault was 'misunderstanding'

Was going to start a new thread for this, but this seems an appropriate place to put it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ding-1.3307830

Quote:
A University of Ottawa student who reported to police she was choked and raped at a party said she was told charges would not be laid because the man thought the sex was consensual.
Old 10 November 2015, 03:01 PM

Well clearly if the man thought something was so then it was so. We accept that as a level of proof in any other circumstance don't we?
Old 10 November 2015, 06:24 PM

From Sooeygun's link:

Quote:
Morin said the detective told her it was a "misunderstanding."
There certainly does seem to be some misunderstanding going on here.

As in, the detective doesn't seem to understand what a detective is supposed to do.
Old 10 November 2015, 06:43 PM

What, you mean that a detective's job isn't to ask the accused if they thought they were committing a crime and then leave them alone if they say no?
Old 11 November 2015, 01:34 AM

Mouse

This may only be tangentially related but the BBC did a study that shows just how far we feminists have to go I'm afraid. Be nice if eventually people would realize that most rape victims liked and knew their attacker and that not all rapists are those creeps who lurk in the dark and pounce on unsuspecting women: Do People Understand What Rape Is?
Old 12 November 2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Ottawa police told CBC News in a written statement Friday evening that all investigations are reviewed by supervisors and in Morin's case, "the conclusions of the investigator may have been premature, as not all investigative avenues had been exhausted."
So the supervisors were in on it because either this case was reviewed, and the supervisors accepted the detective's (faulty) conclusion or they did not actually review it and just allowed the detective to send out his response anyways...

Old 12 November 2015, 02:19 PM

Default Ottawa police officer retires before hearing into handling of sexual assault complain

How about this one?

http://www.metronews.ca/news/ottawa/...complaint.html

Quote:
An Ottawa woman says the justice system failed her when a police officer in the Partner Assault Unit retired before he could face a disciplinary hearing over the way he purportedly handled her domestic sexual assault case.

On Aug. 27, the Ottawa Police Service served Const. Raymond Lamarre with a notice requiring him to attend a disciplinary hearing to face one count each of deceit, neglect of duty, and insubordination under the Police Services Act, according to documents obtained by Metro.

But the next day, the documents show, Lamarre submitted a notice of retirement effective Sept. 1.
Old 05 January 2016, 03:05 AM

A former University of Ottawa student who told her story publicly last fall because she didn't feel police took her complaint of sexual assault seriously is feeling "torn" now that charges have finally been laid in her case because the man accused is no longer in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ntia-1.3388912

It bothers me very much that charges were only laid after this man left the country. I find it hard to believe that was a coincidence. My cynical side makes me wonder who the alleged rapist is related to.
Old 05 January 2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
So the supervisors were in on it because either this case was reviewed, and the supervisors accepted the detective's (faulty) conclusion or they did not actually review it and just allowed the detective to send out his response anyways...
(Bolding mine)

I made this same assumption. But from the article Sue just posted, it sounds like the dismissive detective was a woman.
Quote:
"In a sense, I don't want to talk to her but in another sense, I think it would be the mature thing to say sorry after what she's done," Morin said. "I think she should at least acknowledge that she made a mistake and that it shouldn't be repeated."
This is nothing but conjecture on my part, but I wonder if the fact that the detective was female actually made it harder for this victim to be heard. I can imagine that a female detective who doesn't believe a rape victim might actually be questioned less than a male in the same position.