snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 25 August 2013, 05:34 PM

Default Maybe You Get Bad Customer Service Because You're a Bad Customer

I could have taken a picture of you and posted it here to publicly shame you, but I didn't. That's because I am not trying to be vindictive, ma'am. I'd merely like to answer that question you posed. This can be what the politicians call a "teachable moment" for you and everyone like you.

See, I was in line at that particular fast food establishment yesterday. You probably didn't notice me -- I assume you didn't notice any of us from the way you blatantly barged to the front. I was about to tap you on the shoulder and politely explain how lines are supposed to work in a civilized society, but I could tell you were in the throes of an ungodly rage. I figured this must be an emergency. My God, you were practically foaming at the mouth. I thought maybe someone at the counter had killed your dog, or framed you for a murder you didn't commit, or urinated in your oatmeal this morning. Obviously something serious was going on.

Then you suddenly screamed, "NO ketchup! I said NO ketchup!"

http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/08/...-bad-customer/
Old 25 August 2013, 05:52 PM

Ponder

a) It's kind of customary that if you've already placed and received your order and something is wrong with it, you're allowed to go straight to the counter to get it rectified rather than standing in the order line.

b) It's not unreasonable to be pissed off that your order is screwed up, especially when it happens repeatedly. (And really, the responsibility is on the business to straighten out their act, not on the customer to go somewhere else.)

None of that justifies going batsh*t crazy and screaming at everyone in sight, of course, but I don't think this one example supports the thesis that this person is getting bad service because she's a bad customer rather than the other way around.
Old 25 August 2013, 08:52 PM

Getting that irate might not be acceptable, but I do understand the anger. It's very unpleasant to bite into something that was not the way you ordered, especially when sometimes those special orders are because you can't eat it otherwise.
Old 25 August 2013, 09:16 PM

I worked at McDonald's for a few months, and I remember one instance in which an old woman cut in front of the line at which I was serving and asked for hot water, I think as a refill or something. She said something like, "Could I get some hot water?" in a bit of a harsh tone of voice, but she was a semi-regular customer and that was her natural tone of voice. What I found really odd was that at that point, I think she noticed that I was serving the customer standing directly to her right, and she said something like, "I'm sorry, but could I get some hot water please?"
Old 25 August 2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Other folks, such as yourself, seem to get into a customer service Battle Royal every time they step outside their house. Maybe it’s because the universe is against you guys. Or maybe — just maybe — it’s because you behave like selfish obnoxious bullies.
I don't know if the people I am thinking of behave like "selfish obnoxious bullies" but I do have to wonder why they always seem to get bad service. And at least according to them they don't hesitate to speak up and make a scene. It does seem that no matter where they go or what they do they always find something and someone to complain about. Is it because their standards are too high? I don't know, but I have a sneaking feeling it really does come down to you get what you give.
Old 25 August 2013, 09:39 PM

From the article:

Quote:
They think their hallowed “customer” status somehow gives them the right to treat everyone with a uniform and a name tag like garbage.
Expecting someone to actually do their job and provide you with the goods and services as ordered that you paid for is not "treating them like garbage."

No has anyone to treat anyone like garbage, but the entire tone of that article is one of "It's not that big a deal, it's only fast food." Trying to paint the very act of expecting one's order to be correct as unreasonable entitlement isn't doing this argument any favors. Yeah if the story is true the guy was acting like a wad, but then the article goes further and demonizes them for evening having the expectation of his order being correct to be wrong. That's bullcrap.

And BTW this works both ways. If you're in a customer service job and every customer you have is an unreasonable tyrant, maybe your retail martyrdom dial is set a bit high.
Old 25 August 2013, 10:04 PM

My practice is that if a restaurant can not regularly get my order right, I stop going there. As is the case here in town with one fast food restaurant that I generally like. A few years ago they started getting about 1 in 3 orders right and I did complain and even sent complaints off to corporate, but nothing changes, so I just stopped going there. For some reason the problem of biting in to a burger and finding something I do ask for has gone way.
Old 25 August 2013, 10:24 PM

Yep, that was one of the points raised in the OP. Why do you keep going back to a restaurant that always screws up your order? Particularly when there are lots of choices out there. We had a favourite Chinese restaurant near us that started going downhill. Customer loyalty kept us going back a few more times than we should have but eventually we took our business elsewhere. Managed to do it without having a meltdown in the middle of the restaurant as well.
Old 25 August 2013, 10:29 PM

Probably the only time that I stopped going to a restaurant out of perceived bad customer service was when my friends and I made a reservation at a sushi place; it was sort of busy that day, and we were a group of 15-20 people. We got there 4 minutes late according our reservation time, and we found that they had given away our reservation. None of us really complained at the time, but I'm not going there again.
Old 25 August 2013, 10:59 PM

I do feel rather sad that the Sonic nearest me (not near at all really; alas the dearth of Sonic in my area!) tends to get my orders wrong. I've been known to drive all the way home to discover that my strawberry limeade is actually a cherry limeade, or that they've put mustard on my burger, which I did not want. But it's the only Sonic, and I can actually deal with all that. Now I just check everything right away and decide whether it's worth mentioning. But I've never yelled at anybody about it. In fact, I don't recall it ever being "worth mentioning," other than perhaps to mention to the carhop still standing there that it's got cherries when I wanted strawberries.

I'm a bit of a pushover, I guess.
Old 25 August 2013, 11:11 PM

This seems appropriate here.
Old 25 August 2013, 11:28 PM

There are mistakes I wouldn't bother mentioning, and there are other mistakes that would make the food inedible for me -- like when I order a bean burrito and get a beef one, for example (or am given misinformation about whether a given dish contains meat).

I've never yelled at anyone, though, not even the time I discovered the beef/bean error after biting into the burrito.
Old 25 August 2013, 11:31 PM

Ponder

It all comes of not tipping properly.
Old 25 August 2013, 11:32 PM

Bad Ganzfeld!
Old 25 August 2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
And BTW this works both ways. If you're in a customer service job and every customer you have is an unreasonable tyrant, maybe your retail martyrdom dial is set a bit high.
I use to work in retail during the summers while in college and I don't get the hatred people have for the customers.

Most of my days were a pleasure dealing with customers and this is coming from someone who doesn't really care for people.

The truly unreasonable customers are few and far between. Most people need help finding something, or have a few questions.

The customers really weren't that bad. The job itself is what sucked.

I worked in fast food/restaurant in high school. Really I didn't ever interact with the customer much even when I was a cashier.

I think you are correct a lot of people just want to the low earning martyr and blame others for their job. The jobs sucked but really the customer was rarely anything but a delight.

Personally I thought retail was great for learning to deal with people better.
Old 26 August 2013, 12:27 AM

The reverse of this gets me majorly pissed off. Every time (well not everytime, but many times) I try to complain about something, the person behind the counter acts like I'm going off on them and poor old them is just a line worker. It doesn't matter if I keep my voice down or speak politely.

Especially in a chain restaurant called la Madeline, they would mess up the order every time we went there. Every time I would complain., they would fix it, but mess it up again next time. So, once, I got hold of the waitress, and told her that this has been a consistent problem. She started behaving like a victim. " sir, I have never personally messed up your order" I didn't say this to her face, but this is what I was thinking to myself "no it's not about you. It's about this establishment that you supposedly represent. I have just brought a persistent problem to your notice. At least pretend that you care about the success of your employer, and relay the problem to a manager or something. Do something. Don't just stand there and play the victim. That's not going to help anyone. It's certainly not helping me. It's going to hurt your employer if people stop coming here, and its going to hurt your coworkers if they have to get fired"

I don't know why In Retail and fast food industries, the customer is supposed to assume that the employee has ran out of ****s to give. Yes, it's a low page job, and its soul sucking. I get that. however does that mean that I shouldn't expect any customer service from these drones. Besides, IMO, trying to solve a customers problem is a great way to break out of the routine. The customer is giving you an opportunity to solve a problem that requires you to do something out of the same old humdrum. It might be good way to get promoted too
Old 26 August 2013, 12:39 AM

Yea there is a sushi place we used to go to that was really bad at forgetting your orders (it is a go-round so you make special orders but most people eat off the go-round part). We liked the sushi, the location and the price but I'd say they forgot our orders at least half the time (even when it wasn't busy, not that it being busy is an excuse). So we stopped going. Thankfully a better one opened up around the block that has better service and better fish for more or less the same price, I don't think that bodes well for the first place.

There is another place that has very slow service but good food.. We are more forgiving of that place because we just assume it will be a slow meal (not a big deal unless you are in a rush).
Old 26 August 2013, 12:47 AM

I stopped going to the local famous hoagie place because it got to be ridiculous. The employees scowl and yell at everyone (literally) and get really bent out of shape if you don't already know what's on every sandwich and ask questions.
Old 26 August 2013, 12:50 AM

There are actually a few places here where irritable employees is like the selling point or something.. I don't know if it's like a "Portland hipster thing" or whatever but I'm not sure why somebody would want employees to be rude.

I don't mean it's like an overt act, just that there is literally no attempt to be polite or nice to customers and that is just 'the way it is'.

I don't need employees to kiss my ass or anything, but I personally refuse to go to a business who's employees at least don't act respectful.
Old 26 August 2013, 12:56 AM

Part of it is that it is literally so famous. It's one of the most famous places in town (aside from the obvious), and it is well known far and wide. Their prices used to be really low, too (although they've gone up recently, by about 25%, which also contributed to driving me away). You could get a 10-inch sandwich for about $4, with a single-serve bag of chips for $1 (and actually it was more like 2 servings in the bag). You could get a huge order of fries for $1.50.

But it came (comes, I assume) with yelling and scowling.