snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 12 November 2010, 05:27 AM

Icon86 Movies that make us ill

Call us skeptical, but there are just too many apocryphal stories about movies that made people sick — Danny Boyle’s new wilderness survival yarn 127 Hours is the latest. What follows is just a few of the other films that reportedly made people ill.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...at-make-us-ill
Old 12 November 2010, 10:28 AM

The only case I can speak of is that of a 18-y.o. girl in the village where I grew up, who went to see The Exorcist and afterwards had to sleep in her parents' room for a few weeks and see a shrink to get over the trauma.

So, yes, I can believe a few of these stories.

BTW: when a few years later I finally saw The Exorcist - it was a summer theatrical re-run (as they used to do on slow months back in the late 70's) I thought of this girl and expected to be absolutely terrified - but I found that, while it's a good movie, it's nothing to lose your sleep about.
Old 12 November 2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
The only case I can speak of is that of a 18-y.o. girl in the village where I grew up, who went to see The Exorcist and afterwards had to sleep in her parents' room for a few weeks and see a shrink to get over the trauma.
Psssht... after I saw both 'Fire in the Sky' and 'Village of the Damned' I didn't sleep in my own bed for *at least* three months. No shrink was involved, but my parents had to buy me special light blocking shades to ensure aliens were unable to realize my TV was on at night and subsequently kidnap me. My phobia even rubbed off to a smaller degree on many of my close friends. I only really became comfortably able to sleep alone in general after my divorce. I am still not super into that, but anyway, those movies *traumatized* me.
Old 12 November 2010, 01:36 PM

Does watching Forest Gump and feeling like I lost part of my mind count?
Old 12 November 2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends of Alfred View Post
Does watching Forest Gump and feeling like I lost part of my mind count?
Only if I can sue Adam Sandler for wasting hours of my life I will never get back.

I can totally see getting motion sick over the "hand held camera" motiff. I rarely get motion sick and "Blair Witch" made me a little queasy.
Old 12 November 2010, 03:04 PM

Maybe the guy getting sick at Avatar was having the same reaction I was: "I wasted over three hours and too many dollars to see this tedious hackneyed insipid pile of trash!?!?"

I got that same sick feeling over New Moon, Inglourious Basterds, and The Other Guys, except none of those were as hackneyed as Avatar.
Old 12 November 2010, 03:25 PM

Blair Witch made me sick as a dog. I had to go out in the lobby, sip a little water, and try not to puke.
Old 12 November 2010, 04:59 PM

I'm OK with watching jittercam movies on TV, but not the theater. I had the same problem with District 9. I thought I'd have the same problem with Paranormal Activity 2, but it was mostly security camera footage, so I was OK.
Old 12 November 2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
Psssht... after I saw both 'Fire in the Sky' and 'Village of the Damned' I didn't sleep in my own bed for *at least* three months.
... Oh, you were a child at the time! I was thinking perhaps I should go and see those films too - clearly they have a powerful effect...
Old 12 November 2010, 10:25 PM

My wife had a similar reaction to Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. She swears it was the camera work that made her feel nauseated; I still claim it was the plot.
Old 13 November 2010, 01:20 AM

Icon95

I know the camera moves are part of the reason that I have never watched all of Saving Private Ryan to this day.

Certainly the hand-held camera movements for Blair Witch made me ill along with the bad acting....the useless plot.....the continuous whining of the lead characters....the ho-hum "thrills," need I continue?
Old 13 November 2010, 02:23 AM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
Only if I can sue Adam Sandler for wasting hours of my life I will never get back.
~ Pulls out wallet ~

Ok, was it Little Nicky, Shakes the Clown or You Don't Mess With the Zohan? Because, let's face it, they're not the best - in fact, they're crap - even if I do like them.

~ Pulls out a $50 bill, shoves it in your shirt pocket ~

This never happened.
Old 13 November 2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishDaDish View Post
~ Pulls out wallet ~

Ok, was it Little Nicky, Shakes the Clown or You Don't Mess With the Zohan? Because, let's face it, they're not the best - in fact, they're crap - even if I do like them.

~ Pulls out a $50 bill, shoves it in your shirt pocket ~

This never happened.
Really wishing there was a like button here...YOMANK!
Old 13 November 2010, 03:18 AM

i have a couple of friends who are very subject to motion sickness. They don't dare go to the Imax.

I'm thinking this may have been about 20 years ago, there was a Woody Allen movie with a lot of panning back and forth. They were watching it at a dollar movie that had an intermission (to sell more refreshments to make a little profit). They were both so tired of listening with their eyes shut to avoid nausea, they just left at intermission.

Does anyone know what that movie might have been?

ETA--I think it was Husbands and Wives. The trailer here made me a little queasy:
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1846413081/

Last edited by Dear Babby; 13 November 2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 13 November 2010, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
... Oh, you were a child at the time! I was thinking perhaps I should go and see those films too - clearly they have a powerful effect...
I was old enough for it to be embarrassing.
Old 13 November 2010, 03:54 AM

Requiem for a Dream was the closest to sick I've ever been watching a movie. Behind that was Things Behind the Sun. The authenticity of the rape scenes and aftermath in both, and the raw reality that kept on hitting you cut after cut in the fourth season of the former, was almost too much to handle.
Old 13 November 2010, 08:14 AM

Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
I was old enough for it to be embarrassing.
I still don't think it would work as an adult. "Will you come home with me? I'm afraid I just saw Bambi, and I don't think I can sleep alone..."
Old 13 November 2010, 08:31 AM

Not really in the spirit of what's being discussed but sorta similar, I saw Kill Bill in an older, sorta run down budget theater. There was a blown or shorted or badly set up or something speaker in their surround setup and it caused all the higher notes to come out loud and distorted. It was vaguely annoying until that one scene were Daryl Hannah's character is walking down a hallway loudly whistling a very high pitched tune and then it turned into outright painful. I doubt I was the only person in that theater that got a headache and good case of temporary ringing in my ears from that.
Old 13 November 2010, 10:56 AM

District 9 definitely made me ill, with a splitting headache and nausea. It was so bad we had to cancel dinner afterward - and we were gonna have Indian! Bummer. When the DVD was coming out, the commercials made me feel sick again.

Saving Private Ryan didn't make me sick, but it horrified me enough that I was crawling backwards up the seat back for a moment. Jee-zus!!!!
Old 13 November 2010, 12:44 PM

Ma gets ill watching scenes in movies, but that's a motion sickness type thing. Usually these things happen in the opening credits. She has to close her eyes and I have to tap her knee to let her know when it's over. It's usually fast, swooping scenes, like the beginning of The Birdcage or the run through London scene at the start of Absolute Beginners (same type of deal with Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd).