snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 27 October 2007, 05:13 PM

Default Ex-defence minister joins search for aliens

A new group is pushing for full disclosure about extra-terrestrials, and they've enlisted a former Canadian cabinet minister to help make their case

A note, the Toronto Star is a reputable paper!
Old 27 October 2007, 05:28 PM

Canada

Your link does not work.

However, if they are talking about Paul Hellyer, he's been off his rocker since the '60s.

Personal opinion, of course.
Old 27 October 2007, 06:29 PM

Whoops!!

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ideas/article/270984

And yup.. it's about Hellyer (Hells yah!)
Old 27 October 2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Victor Viggiani has one of the toughest jobs in the universe.
Ha! Try a week sweeping out the Ventrugian cesspools on Tranis Oggy 9 and then tell me you have a tough job Mr. Viggiani.

Quote:
they probably have light years of lessons to teach us about sustainable energy sources and countless other matters of global importance.
Sorry, we're pretty much as screwed as you are, but look, we built this really cool spaceship using the last of our planet's resources. Take the tour - it's a dollar each or $3 for a family of up to five, $0.75 for senior citizens. Just don't touch that lever please.

Quote:
"The ridicule factor is extremely powerful," said Viggiani.
Try substituting the word 'powerful' with the word warranted, and you have it.

Last edited by Eddylizard; 27 October 2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01 November 2007, 08:55 PM
Aim-64C

Here is the thing with the Military and UFOs:

If/When we first encountered any crashed debris - the military had little idea what in the world it was. During many of the reported/documented incidents between U.S. Military forces and UFOs, we were in direct competition with the USSR for military-related technology, as well as construction/production technology and efficiency. If this thing that was found was Russian in nature - we don't want them to know that we know they have it (isn't that a tongue twister?). So, whatever it is - it was a radar balloon, weather balloon, swamp gas reflecting the light from Venus - whatever fits. This way we keep the Russians in the dark about what it is we found.

And, if it is remnants from an advanced extra-terrestrial race.... the same situation applies - we don't want the Russians, or anyone else, to know that we have it.

Also, if it's of extra-terrestrial origin - what are the consequences of suddenly revealing that we are not alone in the universe? Beyond how the civilian population will react - what about other countries? Would they attempt to develop pacts with these extra terrestrials to try and make a grab for global domination? Or, even if their wishes are smaller - say, complete control of a region.

These are the types of thoughts going through the minds of the people calling the shots for what the "official" story is. And, you also have to realize that the Freedom Of Information Act does absolutely nothing in regards to this or other instances. The military and other government sponsored agencies are very experienced at dodging various acts, laws, regulations, etc. If nothing else - it can be as simple as feeding us a story to make us happy (or more frustrated - depending on our point of view) and keeping the "real" story shadowed behind disinformation.

In short - it comes down to just about everything relating to the paranormal - for the believers, any amount of evidence is proof enough; and for the skeptics, no amount of evidence will be proof.

That's simply how it is.

Personally - I believe there are extra terrestrial races capable of advanced space travel that would, very logically, have an interest in our own species/race and planet. But I can't prove it. I can argue in its defense - but I can't prove the existence of such a species until they either invade or drop in and make a very clear public appearance. And, I guess I could try and capture one... but I'd rather not tick off a species that is likely many thousands of years our senior, and likely hundreds of times more advanced than our own. To be cliche "The consequences could be dire!"
Old 02 November 2007, 09:07 AM

Totally OT.
An AIM-54C is a phoenix, but I cant think what a AIM-64C is. Could you enlighten me?