snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11 July 2018, 03:47 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Would fired be safer? (less dangerous?) than not fired? Not fired you have the additional worry of the propellant charge plus the (often not as stable) primer.
I would imagine it would depend on the munition. I think the point, though, is that having been fired it was subjected to forces that may make it behave in unpredictable ways (whereas before firing, you could generally be able to rely on it to not explode upon rolling it over or lightly touched). But then being well-past its "best by" date would also likely have that effect, whether it had been fired or not.
Quote:
Wouldn't be an issue with a WWII shell, but nowadays that type of shell could be dangerous too since it could be depleted uranium.
Depleted Uranium isn't THAT bad as an inert/external source.