snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 15 September 2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
MH370: Debris in Tanzania confirmed to be from missing Malaysia plane

A large piece of aircraft debris discovered off the coast of Tanzania is part of missing Malaysia Airlines jet MH370, authorities have confirmed.

The outboard flap, which is part of the plane's wing, was found in June on the island of Pemba, several thousand kilometres from where the plane is believed to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.

It was shipped to Canberra, where it was examined by investigators from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB).

In a report released on Thursday, the ATSB said serial numbers on the debris identified it as coming from a the inboard section of an outboard flap on a Boeing 777.

Investigators traced back manufacturers' date stamps on the flap and confirmed with Boeing that the part was built into the plane which would become MH370.

"Based on the above information, the part was confirmed as originating from the aircraft registered 9M-MRO and operating as MH370," the ATSB said.
http://www.theage.com.au/world/mh370...15-grhflv.html

That's a fair distance away from the other confirmed wreckage on Reunion island
Old 15 September 2016, 08:33 PM

Teacher

I Am Not An Oceanographer, but it seems that the Indian South Equatorial Current forks East of Madagascar, with one path forking off Northwest towards Tanzania and the other southwest (and potentially towards Reunion Island).

Or this is proof of a conspiracy!
Old 14 May 2018, 10:04 PM

Airplane

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 crash was deliberate, aviation experts suggest

I don't know if this is like every five years or so someone shuffles the slim evidence and "proves" the identity and fate of D.B. Cooper or Jack the Ripper, or if they're on to something.

Quote:
Boeing 777 pilot and instructor Simon Hardy reconstructed the flight plan based on military radar...
Old 14 May 2018, 10:16 PM

If, as the article suggests, the pilot was committing an act of murder-suicide, why would he have brought the plane down in a controlled ditching? Wouldn't the best way to insure the deaths of everyone on board be to hammer it into the water as hard as possible?
Old 14 May 2018, 10:55 PM

Baseball

Larry Vance has been pushing the purposeful crash hypothesis since the event happened. He has a book coming out about this, so it appears that he is trying to generate interest in his book.

He's done some respected work in the past (Swissair 111) but has become a bit of a go to analyst for Canadian news agencies. He's pretty good when he explains how processes work, or deciphering the reports that are released, but he has dipped into the area of unsupported speculation in the past, and tried to pass it of as expert analysis.

Just seeing his name in the panel of experts immediately makes me pause.
Old 14 May 2018, 11:03 PM

The most logical explanation I read as the search was ongoing explained that the long roll out on take off would have been enough to cause severe overheating in the front tire. This tire then could have started releasing toxic smoke into the cabin incapacitating every one before the oxygen masks had time to deploy. The pilot had already put alternate courses into the autopilot in case of emergencies at any location along the route. The one the plan was supposedly flying when contact was lost was the most logical one for an emergency at the point in the flight where contact was lost. I think I posted this early in this discussion but am being too lazy to go look. So with that in mind:

ETA, the fish may not be deserved as I just scanned all 10 pages of this and did not find the site where I read the explanation above.

ETAA: Found the site - https://www.wired.com/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

Last edited by RichardM; 14 May 2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 15 May 2018, 12:59 AM

That would take an awful lot of toxic smoke to overcome the pilots before they could react.
Old 15 May 2018, 03:10 AM

Is the wheel well of an airliner inside the pressure envelope of the fuselage? I would think the well must be heated and perhaps pressurized just to keep the tires from cooling off to -70F and shattering on landing. But to get smoke into the fuselage would require either that the wheel well is at at least the cabin pressure or that the air intakes for cabin air could draw air in from the wheel well.
Old 15 May 2018, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
That would take an awful lot of toxic smoke to overcome the pilots before they could react.
Plus I would think that if there was enough to overcome a person it would have been extremely stinky. Smoldering rubber has a smell that is pretty hard to miss and the lower limit of smelling is much lower than the lower limit of toxicity.
Old 15 May 2018, 03:20 AM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Wouldn't the best way to insure the deaths of everyone on board be to hammer it into the water as hard as possible?
According to the theory, AIUI, the cabin was depressurised so there would have been no survivors in the cabin after the first few minutes. (The evidence being that no one inside the cabin, including the crew, did anything to try to contact the outside world after that.) To be fair, several other scenarios have the depressurisation as part of an accident, not deliberate.
Old 15 May 2018, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
...severe overheating in the front tire. This tire then could have started releasing toxic smoke into the cabin...
That sounds very implausible to me. The big issue there is that the landing gear legs and wheels are all on the outside of the plane's pressure envelope, and as such are separated from the cabin air by relatively substantial bulkheads. Sure, there could be a wheel or tire fire, but I'd expect such a thing to give plenty of warning before it burns through into the cabin.

Personally, I'm in the camp of believing that this was a deliberate act instigated by one or more of the flight crew. I think that they ran the airplane out of fuel, then purposely crashed the airplane into the ocean in such a way as to minimize the debris left on the surface.
Old 15 May 2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Is the wheel well of an airliner inside the pressure envelope of the fuselage? I would think the well must be heated and perhaps pressurized just to keep the tires from cooling off to -70F and shattering on landing. But to get smoke into the fuselage would require either that the wheel well is at at least the cabin pressure or that the air intakes for cabin air could draw air in from the wheel well.
The wheel wells are outside of the pressure vessel. Look at the wheel well doors and they aren't designed for pressure differentials involved in pressurized aircraft.

If you look at photos of the underside of a Boeing 737, the main gear has no doors over the tires themselves.

For most turbine aircraft, pressurization for the cabin is from bleed air from the engine compressor stages, with one exception, the B-787, which as I understand it, has an electric driven pressure system.