snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 23 April 2018, 10:08 PM

No Toronto Say 9 Dead, 16 Injured After Pedestrians Struck

Police in Toronto say they have arrested a male suspect after a white van mounted a curb in the city’s north end, killing nine people and injuring 16 others.

Article here

I feel sick. I have so many friends who live in Toronto, and thank god most of them have been checking in on Facebook saying they're okay. Given that horrible things like this rarely happen in Canada, it definitely hits close to home. It's a naive way to be, but I always thought Canada was a safe place, especially Toronto.

Kudos to the police officers arresting the maniac for refusing to take the bait and not invoking "suicide by cop". That would be the easy (and coward's) way out.

My heart is hurting for the victims. Utterly senseless.
Old 23 April 2018, 11:45 PM

Baseball

I heard about this at work, rode my bike home, then read the news.

I was almost physically sick.

Between Humboldt and now Toronto, and collateral issues in Tennessee and Europe, I don't know if my spirit can handle much more.

I need a break from the world for about 7 days.
Old 23 April 2018, 11:57 PM

Thank DYOC for Torontonians, they're strong people.
Old 24 April 2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I need a break from the world for about 7 days.
I have cut back on watching CNN and other all news channels pretty much. It helps my blood pressure. I even skip the CBS national news frequently. I can get caught up the orange orangutan by watching Steven Colbert.
Old 24 April 2018, 01:06 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochrie99 View Post
PIt's a naive way to be, but I always thought Canada was a safe place, especially Toronto.

Kudos to the police officers arresting the maniac for refusing to take the bait and not invoking "suicide by cop". That would be the easy (and coward's) way out.

My heart is hurting for the victims. Utterly senseless.
Sadly, I think that anyplace is vulnerable. Yes, some places/sections are more vulnerable, but I always have to roll my eyes when someone says 'things like that don't happen in this neighborhood/town/city!' Well sadly they do.
All I can do is offer condolences and hope that the victims will get justice (whatever form that takes).

ETA: Richard M, stop insulting decent orangutans! I'm telling WWF on you!
Old 24 April 2018, 01:33 PM

About the killer. Mostly from contact with former schoolmates.
Old 25 April 2018, 12:25 PM

Soapbox Toronto van attack suspect's Facebook post linked to anti-women ideology

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/25/ameri...ack/index.html

nsfbsking nsfbsker...

These alt-right mysognistic wing-nut groups just make me so angry. (g)You can't get a girl, so (g)you think the problem is with women in general? Do (g)you even have two brain cells to rub together?
Old 25 April 2018, 05:33 PM

That the van driver allegedly also wanted the police to shoot him gives me the impression he's not much about taking responsibility for anything.

~Psihala
("The world is so unfair! They wouldn't even put me out of my own misery!")
Old 26 April 2018, 01:33 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
These alt-right mysognistic wing-nut groups just make me so angry. (g)You can't get a girl, so (g)you think the problem is with women in general? Do (g)you even have two brain cells to rub together?
A-hole may not have been a mass shooter, but he shares many of the same characteristics of one: young white man with a sense of Entitlement big enough to sink the Titanic.
Old 26 April 2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
That the van driver allegedly also wanted the police to shoot him gives me the impression he's not much about taking responsibility for anything.
This is something I've been noticing a lot lately with people (both adults and children) who get in trouble often or act in ways that are obviously wrong. There's an inability to take accountability. They honestly can't feel guilt or remorse about their action, because ultimately they don't believe (or have somehow convinced themselves not to believe- though that's more complex than I'd assign to young children) that they were culpable for the "bad part" of the action. The "bad part" was whatever someone else did to them before, that "made them" do the "not-as-bad-once-you-consider-the-precedent-action" thing they did.
Old 26 April 2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
This is something I've been noticing a lot lately with people (both adults and children) who get in trouble often or act in ways that are obviously wrong. There's an inability to take accountability. They honestly can't feel guilt or remorse about their action, because ultimately they don't believe (or have somehow convinced themselves not to believe- though that's more complex than I'd assign to young children) that they were culpable for the "bad part" of the action. The "bad part" was whatever someone else did to them before, that "made them" do the "not-as-bad-once-you-consider-the-precedent-action" thing they did.
The "I was bullied at school so I was totally justified in shooting it up" mentality.
It gets even weirder when they stretch it out like the Quebec mosque shooter: "I was bullied at school, so I was totally justified in shooting up a mosque to show I'm not irrelevant like (I think) they kept saying about me"
Old 26 April 2018, 05:52 PM

Jaded

Quote:

The morning crew I listen to were talking about this jerk and they referred to some 'in-cel' movement.

Let me get this straight: you can't get laid because you're a jerk and somehow it's the woman's fault? Try looking in the mirror you jerk-off because if you don't that's all you'll be doing.

Dawn-moi??-Storm
Old 26 April 2018, 08:46 PM

There's some background/breakdown of the "incel" thing here: https://twitter.com/arshymann/status...086871558?s=21
Old 27 April 2018, 03:10 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
It's something I've seen over and over with mass shooters. Only a percentage are suffering from a mental illness. The vast majority, if they're suffering from anything, it's called a massive sense of Entitlement. They feel like they deserve everything, because they want it, and if they're not given what they want, they throw violent temper tantrums about it. Because if they can't be happy, no one can!

I know the jagoff in Canada isn't a mass shooter, but as an incel, he probably suffers from a poisonous ego, which comes with a sense of entitlement similar to mass shooters.
Old 27 April 2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
The "I was bullied at school so I was totally justified in shooting it up" mentality.
It gets even weirder when they stretch it out like the Quebec mosque shooter: "I was bullied at school, so I was totally justified in shooting up a mosque to show I'm not irrelevant like (I think) they kept saying about me"
Maybe a tangent- but just from my own anecdotal experience- among the children who instigate (almost exclusively) most of the bullying in my current group of kids, this "someone else started it/I can't be culpable for my actions" mindset is something they all have in common.

ed.- So when it comes to murderers looking for sympathy or justification because they were "bullied," I'm cynical. I'm sure it's true in some cases, but many of these people have a warped world view (as you may have already guessed from their actions) and I wouldn't be surprised if their childhoods and adolescence weren't exactly as they seem to remember.
Old 30 April 2018, 02:36 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Evidence for the “bullying victim lashes out” meme, regarding school or mass shootings, feels tenuous at best. It was born in the aftermath of the Columbine shooting, but it wasn’t likely the case. A writer of true crime summed up the two shooters as “the Sociopath and the Depressive.” Eric is referred to as the Sociopath, who took advantage of Dylan’s issues, fed into his anger, so he could have a partner in crime. Their plans went far beyond “Shoot up the school to get back at our bullies.” In the scenarios they scripted, after shooting up their high school, they would embark on a massive spree of violence, culminating in them crashing a plane into a building.

Also, Eric and Dylan botth bragged about bullying other kids. To the extent they were bullied, it was because they were a pair of jagoffs who regularly marched up and down the halls, doing Nazi salutes.

It also turns out that the “awkward misfit pushed too far” meme, doesn’t really apply towards the the Parkland Asshole as well. For those of you who quibble over me linking to a Facebook post, here’s an article from the New York Times. Asshole had major issues and summing his case up as “bullied teen pushed too far,” is annoyingly simplistic.

As I keep reiterating, mass shooters or killers, if they suffer from anything, it’s called a Massive Sense of Entitlement, combined with raging egomania.