snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 11 December 2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Like Ganz, my parents never told me he was real, but they told me not to spoil it for other kids. I tried, but there is probably someone out there whose answer to this thread would be, “Little Pink Pill ruined it for me.”
I'd like to believe I didn't spoil Christmas for my younger siblings so therefore I have no intention of asking them when they found out Santa wasn't real - and who spilled the beans .
Old 11 December 2017, 02:23 AM

Military

What? You - I - What!?
Old 11 December 2017, 01:02 PM

Being born in Munich, Germany we didn't do Santa Claus, presents were brought by the "Christkindl", the "Christ child". There was St. Nickolaus, but he just brought boring old stuff like oranges, nuts, chocolate and maybe some little toys on December 6th. Santa Claus was for us that weird american Coca-Cola thing.
And I think in my family it just petered out, my parents stopped pretending there is one, my brother and I just stopped pretending there is one... Also being in a family that didn't really bother with anything religious might have been a part of it. And I think I was about 16 when we finally stopped bothering with the main thing in total. Never got piles of presents anyways, and instead of a round circle where we more or less gave fifty bucks to someone just to get fifty bucks from someone else, we just spent the money ourselves.
Old 12 December 2017, 04:21 AM

Royalty

I can't remember when I found out but I was probably 5 or 6 because I remember being told not to spoil it for other children.

We never told the children about Santa. They were exposed it it through day-care and school.
Old 12 December 2017, 06:07 AM

Icon84

I have a memory, of which I've become increasingly skeptical, of taping a piece of string across the inside of the chimney in the house we'd just moved into when I was 5. I know that, after I figured it out, I kept it from my parents for a nonzero number of Christmases, because the gifts labeled "from Santa" were always the best ones and I thought once I let it slip that the jig was up, it'd be nothing but socks and underwear. And of course if I ever did this, it couldn't have been before the age of 5, because we didn't have a fireplace before that.

I have a clear memory of the scotch tape and kite string I used; the string lived in our kitchen junk drawer for years. But in recent years I've started to wonder. Wouldn't the inside of the fireplace/ chimney have been caked in soot? How would the tape have held up all night? How did I get such an idea in the first place? (Obviously I must have had my suspicions, but I have no memory of what triggered those suspicions.) Could this be a false memory?

I do have a couple of funny related memories that show what a dumb kid I was despite my early-blooming skepticism. One year we spent Christmas at my grandmother's house in New York, three hours ahead of the time zone I was accustomed to, plus I was always a night owl. I lay awake in bed in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve, having listened to the muffled voices of my parents through the thin walls in the next room before they drifted off. Suddenly, I heard a sound on the roof as if someone or something had landed and taken a few steps. I KNEW it couldn't be Santa because I KNEW he wasn't real, but that was my first thought; it sounded so much like the graceful landing of an enchanted sleigh followed by a person disembarking. But I also knew it couldn't be my parents up there, because I would've heard them get up. Now, a rational person under these circumstances might dismiss the sound as a tree branch falling, or might become worried about a possible intruder, but me? I half convinced myself that my frail, elderly grandmother was up there, at what must have been 3 o'clock in the morning, deliberately making Santa noises for my benefit.

I’m pretty sure I knew about Santa and therefore deduced the truth about the tooth fairy before I lost my first tooth. And I remember feeling burdened for years with the knowledge that I felt I mustn't share with my peers lest I ruin everything for them. But it was very weird, having my best friend, who lost a tooth while on a family vacation, tell me in all seriousness that the tooth fairies in Hawaii must be really rich because she got more money than she had for the tooth she'd lost at home ($5, I think?). I remember wanting so badly to have someone with whom I could share this secret. So when a friend of my parents, who himself had two younger kids, asked me about leaving my tooth for the tooth fairy, I looked closely at his smile, determined he had all his adult teeth and therefore wouldn't miss out on the fun, and I leaned in close and whispered, "can I tell you a secret?"