snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 14 June 2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
I still have the image in my mind of a gentleman in all his 17th century finery clomping his nice buckled show into a disgusting heap.
I expect that, what with different ideas of human sanitation combined with the frequency of dogs, cows, pigs, and horses in as well as out of town, that sort of thing actually happened fairly often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
the sad fate of Roger the Raker, from about the same time period, who, tasked with cleaning out a cesspit (hence the "raking"), was overcome by fumes and drowned in it.
Modern farm manure storage pits present a similar sort of hazard.

Quote:
Between 1975 and 2004, 65 fatalities were reported across the U.S. when farmers, workers, family members and would-be rescuers unknowingly entered manure storages when dangerous levels of manure gas or a lack of oxygen were present (Beaver and Field, 2007). This report also showed that the rate of deaths per year in manure storages is increasing.
Old 14 June 2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I expect that, what with different ideas of human sanitation combined with the frequency of dogs, cows, pigs, and horses in as well as out of town, that sort of thing actually happened fairly often.
Yup. But the image I was referring to came from the documentary itself.
Old 14 June 2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
For public toilets, I'd prefer the pedal flush. Not automatic, so it won't go off when you don't want it to and should be more reliable. You can flush while sitting if you must, and you don't end up touching it with your hands.
But I haven't seen any of those in years, and I'm not sure why they went away. I think it's because of the automatic sensor type, but those seem like a lot of extra cost and complexity for a worse solution.
I don't understand why people are so fussy about touching the flush handle, so you hear about people balancing on one foot to operate it with their other foot. Surely you're going to wash your hands after leaving the cubicle!
Old 14 June 2017, 07:32 PM

Why do people who think their butts are too good to touch a toilet seat apparently* assume that the rest of us are fine with touching the liner their butt sat on?

*Based on their failure to make sure the liner flushes. If you make sure your liner flushes, thank you. :-)
Old 14 June 2017, 07:52 PM

Glasses

There is someone on our floor who uses water (apparently for a bidet effect), but sometimes spills on the floor and doesn't mop it up. That's a LTTAM.

Seaboe
Old 14 June 2017, 08:36 PM

As I've stated before I work in a convenience store, and the crap (sometimes literally) we have to clean up is just loathsome. I would love it if people would put tp or something on the seat instead of peeing on it, the floor, the back of the toilet, the outside of the stool etc. My poor boss had to clean sh*t off the floor and the walls, sink, toilet etc. the other day. I was outside cleaning and my partner told my boss, "Please get Syl. I can't do it." My boss said "I'll do it." She's awesome by the way. Yuk, people are pigs.
Old 14 June 2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Why do people who think their butts are too good to touch a toilet seat apparently* assume that the rest of us are fine with touching the liner their butt sat on?

*Based on their failure to make sure the liner flushes. If you make sure your liner flushes, thank you. :-)
Or for that matter, make sure everything goes down when you flush. One of the toilets in the men's room closest to my cubicle suffers from low water pressure. You always have to flush it twice to get everything down. Several times in recent days I've walked into that stall only to find... remnants of the previous user's BM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
There is someone on our floor who uses water (apparently for a bidet effect), but sometimes spills on the floor and doesn't mop it up. That's a LTTAM.

Seaboe
I wonder if this person is Indian. That is the typical way to clean ones self up after using the toilet in India, as opposed to using toilet paper like in the West. Toilet stalls over there will have a hose next to the toilet for this propose. I read an article a few month ago about how apparently this is a common problem on flights to and from India, as airplane lavatories typically don't have this accommodation so spill water on the floor attempting to clean themselves up the Indian way.
Old 14 June 2017, 09:36 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I wonder if this person is Indian. That is the typical way to clean ones self up after using the toilet in India, as opposed to using toilet paper like in the West. Toilet stalls over there will have a hose next to the toilet for this propose. I read an article a few month ago about how apparently this is a common problem on flights to and from India, as airplane lavatories typically don't have this accommodation so spill water on the floor attempting to clean themselves up the Indian way.
It's not just Indian, it's also common in Indonesia and at least some Muslim countries.
Old 14 June 2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I read an article a few month ago about how apparently this is a common problem on flights to and from India, as airplane lavatories typically don't have this accommodation so spill water on the floor attempting to clean themselves up the Indian way.

Ethiopian Air would have a similar problem on some of their flights. Bathroom floors would be soaking wet. I was always pleased with ET's service, except for the bathroom issue.
Old 15 June 2017, 03:13 PM

Glasses

Since I'm pretty sure I know who it is, I can say yes, Wilda, she is Indian. I don't have a problem with it, except when she spills on the floor and ignores it.

So, last winter two trees fell in the courtyard between my building and the next. They cut up and removed the debris within a day. The LLTAM is that they are only now getting around to dealing with the stumps. At least, I think they are--someone painted white circles around them yesterday.

Seaboe
Old 15 June 2017, 04:56 PM

Another culture conflict issue that's arisen at my work (emetophobe warning): Where to vomit -- toilet or sink?

I suspect it goes back to the issue of toilets/sewers in some areas not being as robust as they are in North America or Western Europe.
Old 15 June 2017, 05:07 PM

I'm not sure how that follows? A toilet robust enough for feces should be more than robust enough for vomit. I would think it more an issue of the ease of use of a sink that is more or less at waist level vs a toilet that could be as low as the floor in the case of a squat toilet.
Old 15 June 2017, 05:16 PM

Okay, without going into too many details, I can see how it might make a difference.

Certainly the squatting issue isn't why anyone's using the sink for that purpose in my office, but then the other reason wouldn't be, either. I've only seen in it once; I was torn between being grossed out, feeling sorry for the sick person, and feeling sorry for any emetophobe who might happen to walk in while that was happening.

Last edited by Lainie; 15 June 2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 15 June 2017, 05:43 PM

I think of it as something that the toilet is used for. But, I can totally see why someone wouldn't want to be on the floor with their face in a toilet, especially a public toilet.
Old 15 June 2017, 05:59 PM

I agree that one would not want to be on the floor for the toilet, but the sink doesn't seem like a good solution. I would generally think that it would not be able to make it down the drain in a sink, unless the person hadn't had any solid food for a while. I would think in a lined trash can would be the better choice if the toilet doesn't work. Because I'd bet that if the sink is used, someone ends up in there scraping everything out into a trash bag.
Old 15 June 2017, 06:08 PM

The drains in our bathroom sinks have grates over them to prevent drain blockages. So again, without getting into details, possibly problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I think of it as something that the toilet is used for. But, I can totally see why someone wouldn't want to be on the floor with their face in a toilet, especially a public toilet.
So can I, but I can also see why someone doesn't want to walk into the public restroom and encounter someone throwing up in a sink.

ETA: I guess being short gives me an advantage I'd never considered: I don't have to kneel on the floor to throw up in a toilet. I wouldn't really think taller people would have to, either, unless they're like Comey tall. I just bend at the waist.
Old 15 June 2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
The drains in our bathroom sinks have grates over them to prevent drain blockages. So again, without getting into details, possibly problematic.
And don't even think about it if you have the drains with the pop up, pop down style plugs.
Old 15 June 2017, 07:17 PM

Glasses

LTTAM: not being able to buy ripe strawberries that are smaller than my fist at the grocery store. Actually, not being able to buy any strawberries smaller than my fist (only a slight exaggeration; at least two of these were 2+ inches across).

Seaboe
Old 15 June 2017, 07:59 PM

Come to Michigan. It's strawberry season. I'm going out to get some on Saturday, $1.55 a pound.
Old 15 June 2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I meant I don't see how vomit would be more of an issue for a weak or sub-standard toilet or sewage system than feces would be. IOW, I don't understand how coming from a place with a poor sewage system would lead to someone using the sink instead of the toilet.

ETA: And if you've only seen it once, I would think it more likely that was due to not having time to make it to the toilet rather than any kind of cultural difference.
Closed Thread