snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 31 May 2017, 03:14 AM

In case anyone else was wondering, the artist installed a 3rd statue which is a pug dog pissing on the Fearless Girl's leg.

Because pissing on women in TYOOL2017 is a valid political statement somehow ...... ????
Old 31 May 2017, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
They wouldn't tolerate plant-based foods that harm animals or the environment.
I wonder how much they knew about what went into raising whatever food they were eating.

There's not a whole lot besides soybeans that manages to stay alive in a monocropped soybean field, for instance (some soil life excepted.) And before the field was cleared for planting, there were almost certainly many more species living there.
Old 31 May 2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
In case anyone else was wondering, the artist installed a 3rd statue which is a pug dog pissing on the Fearless Girl's leg.
She was taking a brave stand in the face of a bull. Now she's taking a stand against a cowardly bully whose fear of an inanimate child is so great that he has to get a fake puppy to do his dirty work.
Old 31 May 2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I wonder how much they knew about what went into raising whatever food they were eating.
Some vegans aren't terribly sensible. I can't help you there. I hate vegan infighting so I tend to avoid a lot of places vegans congregate. It's sad, really. Maybe it's even a Little Thing That Annoys Me: I can't seem to find a vegan community that isn't ruined by one or two really vocal abrasive people who say stuff that doesn't make sense.

Real example of stuff said: You shouldn't donate blood because it would probably save the life of an omnivore who would just eat more animals, so you're not really saving anyone, so much as making the killing go on.
Old 31 May 2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Ugh, et tu Post?
Which Post, ganz?
Old 31 May 2017, 03:50 AM

Sorry; it was the Washington Post. I don't want to link to the article.
Old 31 May 2017, 03:57 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
She was taking a brave stand in the face of a bull. Now she's taking a stand against a cowardly bully whose fear of an inanimate child is so great that he has to get a fake puppy to do his dirty work.
The pug statue isn't there anymore, but I don't understand what you are saying. Certainly the bull, child and pug are all fake/inanimate.

You seem to be projecting a lot on to the artist who placed the pug that could equally be projected on the artist who was hired to place the statue of the girl. Maybe it would be more effective if you responded to the statements he's made about placing the pug.
Old 31 May 2017, 04:04 AM

The work speaks for itself. I don't see any reason to give him (or them - patronising artist and patron or whoever) another audience.
Old 31 May 2017, 04:33 AM

Are you talking about the Bull?
Old 31 May 2017, 07:03 AM

No, all three works speak for themselves. Why should I care what the artists or others claim they are?

It's a matter of 'See something; say something.' I saw; I said. Feel free to say what you see too. Alternatively, you can talk about what the artists or others said but, just personally speaking, I don't see why that really matters that much. They aren't complicated works and even if they were, I would hope it's all there not something we have to determine by telepathy or by reading newspaper quotes.
Old 31 May 2017, 11:57 AM

I slept really heavily, which on its own is something good. The problem was I also had lots of nightmares and stressful dreams and I couldn't wake up from them, or woke up, rolled over quickly, and resumed having more nightmares instead of getting a clean break.
So now even though I slept like a log, I feel more tired than when I went to bed.
Old 31 May 2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
You're correct as far as dairy cheese is concerned; in my definition of cheese I was including soy-based, nondairy, and other alternative "cheez" that's vegan.
Little things that annoy me: People who don't know the difference between cheese and not-cheese! The way you phrased it, you might as well have said that some vegans eat bacon, because you can get "bacon" made out of quorn, and that the difference is between meat and non-meat bacon...!

(Actually this is going to become a genuine issue soon if / when lab-grown animal protein becomes available for general consumption, which might not be that far off. Will that be vegetarian? Would vegans object because it was exploiting the (potentially single) animal from which the original DNA came, even if the DNA was taken from a live non-invasive cell sample? And so on.)

Little thing that annoys me:

Takeaway delivery people who can't find my flat. For some reason this applies particularly to pizza deliveries from Domino's. Most other drivers seem to find it with no problem.

I deleted a boring fifteen-page post with far too much detail in it, but the other day I had to stand on my balcony giving detailed directions to a guy who turned out to be standing next to the fence on the other side of the car park, and apparently hadn't even approached the building to try to look for flat numbers - or me! He even told me he could hear my voice... although that was the point at which he finally came over to look. It really is not that large - even if he had to walk up and look at all three staircases to find the right bell, it would have taken him far less time than our very confusing conversation. And some drivers can't even find my road and ring up telling me to go outside because they're "there" but aren't even within sight when I go to the end of the driveway and look up and down the road that my road comes off.

I'm not expecting them to have to come right inside the building and find my actual front door which might involve climbing stairs or whatever (although it doesn't). Only to get far enough to be able to ring the doorbell outside, which is clearly numbered and not in any way different from any development of flats. The road for this development is clearly signposted has been here at least twenty years, and when you type in my postcode to Google Maps, the pin appears directly on top of my flat.

I don't know why it seems mostly to be Domino's drivers who have trouble with it. Delivery drivers in general seem to be able to find it easily enough, and most takeaway drivers manage to come straight here and ring the bell, too. And I see pizzas being delivered to other flats pretty regularly with no apparent trouble (although I doubt this is specific to my own flat number).
Old 31 May 2017, 01:26 PM

Australia

There's a certain well known female Australian tennis player who is now in her 70s but was so popular and successful back in her day that a major sporting arena is now named after her. She's now a pastor in a church and she recently made a statement opposing gay marriage and claiming that she will boycott an airline that has come out in favour of it. That caused a bit of a ruckus with a few current tennis players saying they would refuse to play in the arena that carries her name (even though she has absolutely no other connection to it) and calls for the arena to be renamed. As you can imagine the right wing media came out pretty strongly in her defence and denounced the attempts to "silence" her for being wildly disproportionate.
(Edit: the arena's own Twitter account even made a statement opposing her position and supporting diversity)

Well. It felt like things were quietening down but it turns out that she was barely getting started and has had a LOT more to say about gay marriage and gay people in general and even went straight Godwin's Law on the topic, claiming that the attempts to "get in the minds of the children" is "what Hitler did".

I'm sure that people in certain other countries have experienced this kind of national media 'debate' a lot already but it's still kind of new here in Australia. It's terrible.

Last edited by Gutter Monkey; 31 May 2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 31 May 2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Maybe it's even a Little Thing That Annoys Me: I can't seem to find a vegan community that isn't ruined by one or two really vocal abrasive people who say stuff that doesn't make sense.
Unfortunate. I haven't run into the attitude much around here lately; but I don't know about the vegan community in general, just the few individuals who I happen to know, so I don't know whether you'd run into the problem here also. It may be a subset of the general principle that any sufficiently large group of humans will contain a percentage of obnoxious people.
Old 31 May 2017, 03:17 PM

Glasses

GM, if she's the player I'm thinking of, she's had very conservative views since before she stopped playing. I used to admire her, but I stopped a long, long time ago. I don't mind that she believes what she believes. I mind that she can't let others do the same.

Seaboe
Old 31 May 2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
T

I'm sure that people in certain other countries have experienced this kind of national media 'debate' a lot already but it's still kind of new here in Australia. It's terrible.
Wait till she gets to the part about gay marriage ruining heterosexual marriages.

ETA: Seaboe my sentiments exactly.
Old 31 May 2017, 09:30 PM

LTTAM - Websites that are stealth blocking people who use ad blockers from using the commenting system. If you want to make using the comment system dependent on not having ad block on, fine. Tell me, and I'll decide if your site is worth exempting (for example, I have this board exempt from ad blockers), just skipping comments, or avoiding entirely. But to just have the comments mysteriously not work, or work only after a certain number of comments already exist, is annoying the crap out of me.
Old 31 May 2017, 10:03 PM

LTTAM - the mentality that you can only be outraged or focused on one news story at a time.

It's possible to joke about Trump's "covfefe" tweet while also being aghast at the various atrocities that are being committed around the world, including the 90 people who were killed by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan. Posting about one story does not preclude having an opinion about the other.
Old 31 May 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
GM, if she's the player I'm thinking of, she's had very conservative views since before she stopped playing. I used to admire her, but I stopped a long, long time ago.
Yeah someone tracked down some old old quotes where she was speaking approvingly of South Africa's Apartheid system
Old 01 June 2017, 01:58 AM

Icon106

I have two favourite coffee shops near my work. One is a domestic chain but the only chain in the world (I know of) that makes coffee the right way. The staff is all teens but they do an awesome job (yes there are times I want to tip, even though I oppose the custom as a rule); the music played there is classic jazz, with some standard covers so, even though it's always busy and full of customers, I can work there for hours without a break. The other shop is a small mom and pop shop that's tucked away in a corner. Every cup is poured by hand and better than a cupful of chocolate. It's never busy or noisy so this place would be my disneyland - the happiest place on the planet - except for one problem: The music is annoying. If it were just muzak of pop tunes, I could probably tune it out. It's this extremely repetitive electronic nonsense, like five or ten minutes of the same boring refrain, boring into my brain. I want to ask that mom and pop to change the music but I don't know them well enough. They're perfect at what they do (the menu is good too) but they don't make small talk...
Closed Thread