snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 24 July 2017, 07:34 PM

No Liev Schreiber's son went to Comic-Con as Harley Quinn and looked AWESOME

http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/ne...quinn-costume/

Why do I put this here rather than in Amusement Bark? Why is it news at all? Hell, I don't even know who Liev Schreiber is.

There's a woman who sits near me at work who has discussed this with several people (she does know who Liev Schreiber is, and seems to be a fan of whatever it is he's in) and who seems kind of disturbed by it. In overhearing bits of some of the conversations, at first I thought it was on the basis that the child might face ridicule from peers (I didn't realize at that point there was any celebrity connection involved, and that it was just the child of a friend or relative or something), which could be a valid concern. There's also a bit of a question as to whether the "Suicide Squad" Harley Quinn is an appropriate costume for a child of that age, which isn't entirely invalid (not the costume itself, which is, after all, basically a t-shirt and shorts, albeit with fishnets added; but it's not really a movie for kids). But later it became clear that she feels that parents should try to at least nudge their kids into their appropriate gender roles.

To be sure, from what I can see, no one she's talking to particularly agrees with her -- no one particularly seems to care much one way or the other, really. She's not someone I socialize with, so I doubt she'll talk to me about it directly, and I didn't feel comfortable butting in. but...

...it's painful for me to listen to. Partly, of course, because I think it's actually a good thing for parents to allow that kind of expression regardless of gender, rather than trying to limit their kids by the perceptions of society; and for that matter, for everyone who cosplays to be able to do so as whatever character they fancy, irrespective of gender, race, age, or body type.

But largely because there's still a deep-down pang of enormous regret that I never got a chance to dress like a girl when I was that young. The one time I very tentatively suggested the idea for Halloween to my mom, she quickly quashed it -- and I did not press the matter, as I didn't want her to realize that it wasn't just a whimsical suggestion, but something that would have meant a lot to me. (Bear in mind that this was somewhere around 1972 -- few parents would have reacted any differently.)

So, spent much of the morning with a nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I'm sure that there was no intention on the concerned woman's part to cause anything of the sort, and she's generally a nice person. And I kind of hate that all my instincts still say to keep my mouth shut and not draw any suspicion of that kind of behavior to myself.
Old 25 July 2017, 02:57 AM

Mouse

There was a time when it was considered perfectly masculine for men to wear heels, lace, silk, and makeup. Also well into the 20th century, most boys, until they were about five years old, wore their hair long and wore dresses. If dressing like a girl warps a boy, then pretty much every little boy until the WWII-era, was horribly warped and scarred. Like this little boy, who was so warped and scarred by wearing dresses when he was barely old enough to remember it, that he had no choice but to seek and win the presidency four times.

For those being like, "Mouse, what's the point of this lecture?" I did it as a reminder that, like so many things related to gender, what constitutes girls and boys clothing is a societal construct that has fluctuated with time. Plus, if a boy dresses up as a girl and gets bullied as a result, I think the solution is to punish the bullies, rather than ask the victim to cater to the feelings of assholes and reshape him/herself so the bullies will leave them alone.

Though I do raise an eyebrow at the kid going as Harley Quinn. As pointed out, Suicide Squad isn't what anyone would call a kid-friendly movie. Though I'm mostly disappointed that all we see in Harley cosplays, is fetishwear, rather than her animated series costume. I'm not sure why. Not only did she rock that costume, it's hard to take someone seriously as a villain, if any sudden movement would be cause for an arrest.
Old 25 July 2017, 05:39 AM

Well, I will admit that the outfit Harley wears in the Batman: Arkham Asylum game is pretty hot, and if I had the body to wear it and the skills to make it....

...but I've certainly seen people wearing the DCAU version at Comic-Con before. At least it seems more common than people dressed as some version of Princess Leia other than the slave bikini....
Old 25 July 2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Liev was at the event promoting his new film My Little Pony, a modern-day reboot of the classic 1980s cartoon.
Huh? Is anyone these days more familiar with the "classic 1980's cartoon" than MLP:FiM? Is the film itself a reboot? I wouldn't call it that.
Old 25 July 2017, 10:48 AM

Yeah, the reboot happened 7 years ago. The movie is not the reboot, but is spinoff media of it.
Old 25 July 2017, 11:06 AM

FWIW, Tara Strong approves!

Old 25 July 2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
There's also a bit of a question as to whether the "Suicide Squad" Harley Quinn is an appropriate costume for a child of that age, which isn't entirely invalid (not the costume itself, which is, after all, basically a t-shirt and shorts, albeit with fishnets added; but it's not really a movie for kids).
Many people also feel that Harley and the Joker's relationship is abusive and toxic so I could also understand if people felt that it wasn't good for children to emulate them.

On the other hand it's up to the kid's parents/guardians to discuss that with them.
Old 25 July 2017, 03:13 PM

When I was a kid in the 1970s, it was not uncommon for boys to dress as girls for Halloween. I'm surprised anyone would squash it. Halloween is supposed to be bizarre!
Old 25 July 2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdixo View Post
When I was a kid in the 1970s, it was not uncommon for boys to dress as girls for Halloween. I'm surprised anyone would squash it. Halloween is supposed to be bizarre!
Men dressing as women has been a comedy staple for years both for Halloween and for entertainment purposes. The fuss over boys dressing as girls IMO at least is new and related more to the idea of a boy dressing as a girl in a positive "wouldn't it be cool to be a girl, or at least this girl" way. I mean it's one thing to dress as a girl to be funny because "hey isn't it hysterical to watch a guy struggle with heels or pretend to have boobs" and but where's the humour in a guy dressing as woman they admire? Where's the mocking? Where's the underlying "thank god I'm not really a girl"? Way more problematic.
Old 25 July 2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdixo View Post
Well, I was picked on a lot as a kid, and I got pretty emotional about it. I was not very athletic or aggressive. My Mom probably assumed if I dressed as a girl, I'd be teased about it and would not take it well, and she was probably right. I also have some reason to suspect she did not think my Dad would respond well to the idea.
Old 10 August 2017, 07:43 PM

Just as a side note: the 'Girl Talk' thread popped up to the top of the stack in the SLC section, so I skimmed through a few pages of it yesterday. '

There's the part of me that's depressed and intimidated at how much I don't know, which strongly overlaps with the part that wishes I were in the center of that world -- and the smaller-but-definitely-present part that is glad that I don't have to deal with most of that stuff.

It's a weird life. (Mine, I mean, but life in general, too.)