snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 06 September 2007, 11:02 PM

Glasses Foods to avoid to avoid yeast infections

My babysitter asked me today if I'd heard anything about avoiding eating bananas and peanut butter to avoid yeast infections. She said the reason she'd heard was because they contain mold and cause more yeast infections.

She thinks this doesn't sound right, but didn't know where to get more info. My Google-fu is not strong today, so I was wondering if anyone had heard of this or can give me reasons why it's not true (or why it is).
Old 06 September 2007, 11:17 PM

As I understand it, Candida Albicans (the agent responsible for thrush, or Yeast Infection as it is oddly and coyly called in the US) is present naturally in the mucus membranes of almost all humans (including but not limited to the vagina. One can also get oral Candadiasis or Gastric Candadiasis). In the majority of cases it does not thrive, since other naturally present harmless organisms are much more agressive, and compete with it for foodstuffs, keeping it at bay.

Certain changes, such as antibiotic use, that kill the good bacteria, or oral contraceptives that change the acidity of the vaginal mucous favouring Candida can hamper the good bacteria, giving Candida an advantage and lettting it grow to a point where it becomes a problem.

Some maintain that a sugar rich diet might contribute to a troublesome condition. Sugar rich vaginal mucous - Candida happy. Woman not happy.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think Candida grows naturally on peanuts or bananas - otherwise oral thrush would be a lot more widespead. Rather a carbohydrate rich diet favours the growth of Candida in the vagina. The Candida organism is in all of us (men too), but usually kept under control by the other beasties.

No reason to stop eating bananas or other fruits, but mix with sources of protein and fats.

Last edited by Eddylizard; 06 September 2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06 September 2007, 11:18 PM

I've never heard that. I've heard that eating too much sugar can cause one...hasn't happened to me. Other than that, I don't know anything about food. Of course, antibios can be sure fire ways to get one.

ETA: What Eddylizard said.
Old 07 September 2007, 12:49 AM

Yes, mix with proteins and fats.

I would avoid simple sugars because they are empty calories in the first place and except for the occasional chocolate consumed for medicinal purposes, there isn't a soul who isn't better off without soda and crap like that. But yeast grows on sugar so if what you eat can make a difference, that certainly would be something to leave out.

I have also heard that eating yeast (breads, baked goods) (well, duh!) as well as vinegar and beer also creates a more favorable condition for yeast to grow. It's true that we always have yeast in our system but when it gets out of balance is when it causes the problem.
Old 07 September 2007, 01:08 AM

My sister is allergic to yeast infection medications, so has adopted (on her doctor's orders) a very low-sugar diet. It has very much helped to decrease the frequency of her infections. But if she slips up and eats too much sugar (like a whole piece of wedding cake), then she gets an infection. I don't know why she is so prone to them, poor thing, but she has come up with a lot of low-sugar desserts, and my mom has learned how to make a killer Splenda cheesecake.
Old 07 September 2007, 01:55 AM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateslife View Post
My sister is allergic to yeast infection medications, so has adopted (on her doctor's orders) a very low-sugar diet. It has very much helped to decrease the frequency of her infections. But if she slips up and eats too much sugar (like a whole piece of wedding cake), then she gets an infection. I don't know why she is so prone to them, poor thing, but she has come up with a lot of low-sugar desserts, and my mom has learned how to make a killer Splenda cheesecake.
I am an insulin dependant, Type II, diabetic and I fight the yeast monster constantly. I apparently am quite sweet. So one indication that my blood sugars are higher than they should be are those horrible symptoms.

The reason I quoted pirateslife in my response is merely this:

Please oh please please CITE that killer Splenda cheesecake???

Morning
begging becomes me.
Old 07 September 2007, 02:04 AM

I had always heard that eating yogurt with live cultures will treat and/or prevent a yeast infection. This article explains the balance of bacteria.

ETA: I realize that didn't exactly answer your question but it sounds like a good/easy way to avoid them.
Old 07 September 2007, 02:09 AM

If you're sticking peanut butter and bananas inside your vagina then, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if you got a yeast infection.
Old 07 September 2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
I apparently am quite sweet.
Awww. We think so too.
Old 07 September 2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
If you're sticking peanut butter and bananas inside your vagina then, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if you got a yeast infection.
I think the OP referred to eating peanut butter and bananas, not getting as creative as you are suggesting.
Old 07 September 2007, 02:25 AM

Morning, I'll PM the recipe to you as soon as I can get it from my mom.
Old 07 September 2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
I think the OP referred to eating peanut butter and bananas, not getting as creative as you are suggesting.
Whatever. Still passing through your lips. I say it counts.
Old 07 September 2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Whatever. Still passing through your lips. I say it counts.
I'll take this

o

I think you left it here by mistake.
Old 07 September 2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks. This pretty much matches what I told her, but it's nice to have some back up.