snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 02 September 2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
I personally don't care about the Bible, but I have been making sure to post Romans 13 in threads.
Like that would make a difference. You know it's perfectly fine for people like her to ignore inconvenient passages of the Bible that don't fit one's bigoted beliefs.

Of course, if anyone else does that they're 'cherry-picking' the Scriptures and that's not ok because every bit of it is true and should be followed as the direct Word of God.
Old 02 September 2015, 02:02 PM

Yeah, TGG, there has so far been a thunderous roaring of crickets. May e I pricked a few consciences, though. One can hope, anyway.
Old 02 September 2015, 02:41 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Interestingly enough, no. The firm I read about involved cases of personal injury claims on a trust fund for a particular illness where the doctors (hired by the law firm) certifying the clients were not actually seeing the patients personally, just reading a file and then certifying that the client had whatever disease it was that qualified them for payment.

The firm did this repeatedly, even though the court kept dismissing the cases because the diagnosis was found not to be scientifically valid, so the court finally said that any further cases would be dismissed without consideration.

It wasn't asbestos, I don't think, nor tobacco. But it was some industrial disease. Black lung, maybe?

Seaboe
Old 02 September 2015, 02:54 PM

Huh, not ringing any bells.
Old 02 September 2015, 04:13 PM

From Lainie's link:
Quote:
The first sign of trouble arose early in the case: When a federal judge ordered Davis to issue licenses or be held in contempt of court, the Liberty Counsel advised her to disobey the ruling.
Every fifth word in that article was hyperlinked, but nothing in that quote was. I wonder where he heard that Davis's lawyers advised her to disobey the ruling? Normally that sort of attorney-client communication would be privileged, unless the client shared that information or consented to having it shared with others. I have been unable to find a direct quote from Davis or anyone else saying Liberty Counsel advised her to disobey the ruling, though perhaps I'm not using the right search terms.
Old 02 September 2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
I personally don't care about the Bible, but I have been making sure to post Romans 13 in threads.
The Bible may dis gays, but it is mute on whether anyone not actually having gay sex is sinning. It is pretty explicit that not following civil law is not cool, though. Wonder if the conflict will make some people's heads explode...
Don't forget the wearing of mixed fabrics!!

If you break the civil laws, and wear mixed fabrics, you've committed terrible deeds according to the bible...

Also, Jesus' one and only commandment... Do unto others...
Old 02 September 2015, 04:43 PM

Funny thing about these people who are so obsessed with following the anti-gay parts of The Bible. They never seem to care much about another issue The Bible is very opposed to - usury.

It's pretty clear on this:
http://www.openbible.info/topics/usury

And yet you don't see them protesting outside banks.
Old 02 September 2015, 06:19 PM

It seems that Ms. Davis has not been an exemplar of traditional Christian values in her personal life:

http://m.snopes.com/kim-davis-married-four-times/

This is not merely a matter of three divorces and four marriages:

Quote:
She gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband. They were fathered by her third husband but adopted by her second. Davis worked at the clerk's office at the time of each divorce and has since remarried.
Matt Staver, the head of Liberty Counsel, thinks it's all good--Jesus has forgiven her:

Quote:
Staver says “it’s not really relevant, it’s something that happened in her past” and that her conversion to Christianity about four years ago wiped her slate clean. “It’s something that’s not relevant to the issue at hand,” he says. “She was 180 degrees changed.”
Besides, she and her husbands aren't gay.
Old 02 September 2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Hmm, I don't think that was His only commandment. Off the top of my head I can think of "go and sin no more" and "go to all the world..." and "let the little children come to me." He didn't talk about homosexuality, though.
Old 02 September 2015, 06:44 PM

I figure I would have better luck with NT material, since they seem to handwave away the Leviticus junk, except for gay sex. A bit harder to claim "Nuh-uu, Jesus said we didn't have to" when it is New Testament.
Old 02 September 2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Matt Staver, the head of Liberty Counsel, thinks it's all good--Jesus has forgiven her:
I wonder if the non-religious aspect of that is part of the attraction for some born-again Christians. They'd like to be vitriol spewing hate-mongers, but they feel vulnerable due to their past actions. But if they become Christians, then none of that matters because becoming Christian is a reset button.
Old 02 September 2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Well, one of at least 11 being as Jesus is also god. Heretic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I wonder if the non-religious aspect of that is part of the attraction for some born-again Christians. They'd like to be vitriol spewing hate-mongers, but they feel vulnerable due to their past actions. But if they become Christians, then none of that matters because becoming Christian is a reset button.
And unlike, say, Operation Flashpoint, you get to hit the reset button as many times as you want.

Last edited by ASL; 02 September 2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02 September 2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I think you're misremembering. That was what He said was the second of the two greatest.
Old 02 September 2015, 11:31 PM

Mouse

This whole scandal is tedious. Because what will probably happen is that she'll lose her job, but have gotten enough attention from the Wingnuts that she can eke out an existence on the circuit using Wingnut Welfare. No matter what, she gets to whine about being martyred for her beliefs as though losing your job is equivalent to what Jesus or any of the Saints suffered through.

Plus, when she chose to stand for her beliefs and refuse to do her job, you'd think it occur to her that if you seek "martyrdom" by refusing to do your job, the authorities' collective response might be to shrug, say, "Okay," and give you what you want by firing you.

Because screaming and holding your breath until you get what you want may have gotten you that Partridge Family record or whatever you wanted as a kid, but it doesn't work so well in the world of adults.
Old 03 September 2015, 05:19 PM

Judge Ky. clerk jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses

A Kentucky county clerk was found in contempt of court Thursday for her refusal to issue marriage licenses in wake of the Supreme Court decision to allow gays to wed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...gays/71635794/
Old 03 September 2015, 05:24 PM

Bang Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
This whole scandal is tedious. Because what will probably happen is that she'll lose her job, but have gotten enough attention from the Wingnuts that she can eke out an existence on the circuit using Wingnut Welfare.
MMV of course, but that part doesn't bother me, especially compared to the fact that firing her (or jailing her) will be the latest "proof" that Christians are being attacked from all sides and must fight back.
Old 03 September 2015, 05:35 PM

She's been jailed - and her deputies have been ordered to issue licenses as well or they can join her.

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/09/03/4...e=dlvr.it&rh=1
Old 03 September 2015, 05:35 PM

While I applaud the judge for putting her in jail, it does not solve the problem. Couples in Rowan County still cannot get marriage licenses.
Old 03 September 2015, 06:07 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
While I applaud the judge for putting her in jail, it does not solve the problem. Couples in Rowan County still cannot get marriage licenses.
The judge's order included telling her deputies (as well as the two other clerks in the state refusing to issue licences) to do their jobs or they could join her.
Old 03 September 2015, 06:39 PM

Glasses

Just out of curiosity, am I misreading or is she refusing to issue any marriage licenses (not just ones to gay couples)?

Seaboe