snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17 April 2017, 09:47 PM
Coughdrops Coughdrops is offline
 
 
Join Date: 15 June 2015
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 786
Default Maine Democrats at ‘Values and Vision’ gathering erupt in laughter at white male suic

suicide

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...values-and-vi/

Quote:
A Maine-based website has released cellphone video of Democrats at a “Values and Vision” community meeting laughing at suicide among America’s white male population.

Video released Friday from a recent event hosted by the Maine Democratic Party features former state senatorial candidate Richard Fochtmann discussing giddiness at news of white male suicide. The incident, shared by Maine First Media and picked up by The Daily Caller soon afterward, elicited raucous laughter from attendees.

“What we need in Maine is we need younger people — take a look. It looks almost like a lecture for Social Security,” Mr. Fochtmann said. “Okay, so that’s one thing. We need to encourage as many young people. We also need more women. Today I saw a thing that said a lot of men, white men are committing suicide,” he continued. “I almost thought yeah, great. Then I thought about it little more and I thought maybe I shouldn’t say that out in public.”

Mr. Fochtmann told the Daily Caller on Friday that his comments were in jest.

“A joke’s a joke, isn’t it?” he said. “I thought the point of the joke is that it won’t be long, and that this won’t be a majority white nation, and I think that’s a good thing.”
Guess they decided to hand 2018 and 2020 to the Republicans early.

I cannot wrap my head around the Democratic strategy:

-express nothing but sneering contempt for the majority, gleefully hoping they'll kill themselves.

-be surprised when they lose elections.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17 April 2017, 09:51 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 26,373
Default

It's just a joke, why are you so thin skinned?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17 April 2017, 09:53 PM
Coughdrops Coughdrops is offline
 
 
Join Date: 15 June 2015
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 786
Default

Hey if you don't mind handing Trump a second term please continue with your jokes.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17 April 2017, 10:33 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,767
Reading

I don't think people who read the Washington Times and take it seriously are likely to vote for a Democrat. It's right up there with the NY Post.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17 April 2017, 10:34 PM
jimmy101_again jimmy101_again is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2005
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 6,912
Default

If you look at every utterance of thousands of politicians you will find some stupid statements.

For people with a functioning brain, the ability to tell the difference between an isolated event and a pattern of behavior is pretty robust.

If we started a list of every documented lie from the turnip and his staff then snopes would need to add a couple terabyte discs to hold them all. With the turnip the reasonable question is never "is this a lie", it is "is there a vague possibility that this is the truth?" If you assume the former you well be correct a lot more often than if you assume the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18 April 2017, 01:21 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,657
Default

Guys, I think you're missing the point. It's only important to be PC about issues that affect white males. Otherwise, being PC is a bad terrible sad thing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18 April 2017, 02:33 AM
Mouse's Avatar
Mouse Mouse is offline
 
Join Date: 11 July 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,466
Mouse

Yeah, we must never forget the plight of white dudes. Maybe someday, 44 out of 45 presidents will be white dudes and they will control the House, Senate, much of the Supreme Court, and the board of directors of most corporations, but until then, all CD can do is sob, while singing, "We Shall Overcome."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18 April 2017, 11:17 AM
Blatherskite's Avatar
Blatherskite Blatherskite is offline
 
Join Date: 06 February 2006
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 4,036
Default

What an ass.

I won't say 'Suicide jokes are never funny!' because only a Sith deals in absolutes (keep in mind that even saying 'Kill me now!' in jest is technically a suicide joke).

But this particular joke is just sociopathic. He (and to a lesser extent the people who laughed at his joke*) needs to learn when to switch between seeing 'white people' as an abstract social construct or as a collection of individuals. There's a time to promote the downfall of white society and a time to - well, just not. Suicide rates represent people who have died of a cruel mental illness (an illness which, in fact, does not care what your race is).

* For what it's worth, it sounds as if the gathering 'erupted in laughter' not at the suicide rates but at the awful attempt at a joke. I know it sounds pedantic, but I think it makes a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18 April 2017, 01:15 PM
Crius of CoH's Avatar
Crius of CoH Crius of CoH is offline
 
Join Date: 13 February 2006
Location: Paragon City (Cranston), RI
Posts: 1,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughdrops View Post
I cannot wrap my head around the Democratic strategy

"I am not a member of any organized party — I am a Democrat." - Will Rogers, Will Rogers, Ambassador of Good Will, Prince of Wit and Wisdom (1935), by P. J. O'Brien, Chapter 9.


"...Fractious and have no sense of loyalty; will publicly tear out the intestines of those closest to them at the most politically inopportune times. The attention spans of poultry; easily distracted from large, useful goals by pointless minutiae. Not only can’t see the forest for the trees, can’t see the trees for the pine needles. Deserve every bad thing that happens to them because they just can’t get their act together. Too bad those they presume to stand for get royally screwed as well." - John Scalzi, "I Hate Your Politics"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18 April 2017, 01:24 PM
chillas's Avatar
chillas chillas is offline
 
Join Date: 09 September 2002
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughdrops View Post
I cannot wrap my head around the Democratic strategy:
And I cannot wrap my head around anyone foolish enough to think the words of one individual twit who is a *former* *candidate* for the *state senate* is indicative of much of anything, never mind the overarching party strategy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18 April 2017, 06:54 PM
NobleHunter's Avatar
NobleHunter NobleHunter is offline
 
Join Date: 21 September 2005
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
Posts: 626
Default

It seems like the opposite of the GOP lawmaker effect.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 19 April 2017, 02:44 AM
Mouse's Avatar
Mouse Mouse is offline
 
Join Date: 11 July 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,466
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
And I cannot wrap my head around anyone foolish enough to think the words of one individual twit who is a *former* *candidate* for the *state senate* is indicative of much of anything, never mind the overarching party strategy.
I'm waiting for him to bring up Robert Byrd, so I can fill that square on my idiot conservative arguments bingo card. First of all, Byrd died in 2010, so he likely doesn't hold too much sway over the Democratic Party today. But the biggest problem with the "But Robert Byrd!" defense is that yes, it's true he was a Klansman and carried out his political career while being one, but the thing is, Byrd eventually realized his beliefs were wrong and horrible. He renounced his former beliefs and spent the rest of his life apologizing for his horrible beliefs and fighting for the rights of all people.

But I suppose only a monster openly admits his mistakes, repeatedly apologizes for them, and does whatever he can to make restitution for said mistakes. He should have done what conservatives do: make a "I'm really sorry people are mad at me" non-pology and gone back to doing all the horrible stuff once things have died down
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19 April 2017, 03:08 AM
Steve Steve is offline
 
Join Date: 19 October 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,879
Default

I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring up Byrd, and then exonerate him, but as long as you did, well, no, he really didn't apologize for what he did. He tried to paint his time in the Klan as some sort of anti-communist effort, and never acknowledged his letter where he talked about his refusal to join the US military because of "race mongrels".

So feel free to fill in your stupid Bingo card.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 19 April 2017, 03:24 AM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,767
Goat

I'll be honest with you: I don't get what's so wrong about laughing at white male suits. They're just so tacky looking...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 19 April 2017, 03:56 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
What an ass.
Agree.  
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 20 April 2017, 01:49 AM
Mouse's Avatar
Mouse Mouse is offline
 
Join Date: 11 July 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,466
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring up Byrd, and then exonerate him, but as long as you did, well, no, he really didn't apologize for what he did. He tried to paint his time in the Klan as some sort of anti-communist effort, and never acknowledged his letter where he talked about his refusal to join the US military because of "race mongrels".

So feel free to fill in your stupid Bingo card.
I suppose I jumped the gun. It's a defense the Right seems to love where when we point out their racism, they're like, "Oh Yeah, what about Robert Byrd?" Because Robert Byrd being racist totally justifies their racism. Though at least when they bring up Byrd, they're bringing up a guy who made it to the twenty-first century; they have been known to use Woodrow Freaking Wilson in these kind of debates.

Though I believe you are mistaken, when you say he never apologized for what he did. While this article admits he did try to play it off as some kind of anti-communist effort, he used that defense when he was running for the House in 1952. Towards the end of his life, he said things like this: "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times . . . and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

I find myself wondering if the reason for his reform, is while he was a Dixiecrat like Strom Thurmond and many others, while most of the others jumped ship and became Republicans, Byrd stayed with the Democratic Party. He had a crisis of conscience in 1982 and his subsequent decades, his words and actions in office, were completely different from his words and actions at the beginning of his service.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 20 April 2017, 03:06 AM
Steve Steve is offline
 
Join Date: 19 October 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I suppose I jumped the gun. It's a defense the Right seems to love where when we point out their racism, they're like, "Oh Yeah, what about Robert Byrd?" Because Robert Byrd being racist totally justifies their racism.
It's good you apologized for jumping the gun. Otherwise someone might get the mistaken idea that you're doing it again with the whole "their racism" as though the right just has some uniform racism.
Quote:
Though at least when they bring up Byrd, they're bringing up a guy who made it to the twenty-first century; they have been known to use Woodrow Freaking Wilson in these kind of debates.
I'm honestly not sure what kind of debates you mean, but I've heard people on the left bring up conservative crimes from the past in internet debates, and it never occurred to me that the very mention of such things was off-topic for some reason. Because I'm not really sure why mentioning a US president and his support for segregation in an online debate is a sign that a debate has just gone off the rails. It seems like on occasion that would be an important matter to bring up.

But then, the debate was about a present-day state senator, and you for some reason brought up a dead racist senator, and then acknowledged that bringing him up was off-topic. But in acknowledging that you brought up a president who died nearly a century ago, only to point out that he's even more off-topic. I'll admit I'm unclear why you did any of that.
Quote:
Though I believe you are mistaken, when you say he never apologized for what he did. While this article admits he did try to play it off as some kind of anti-communist effort, he used that defense when he was running for the House in 1952. Towards the end of his life, he said things like this: "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times . . . and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."
No, I'm not wrong. He never acknowledged his famous letter or the worst of his deeds.
Quote:
I find myself wondering if the reason for his reform, is while he was a Dixiecrat like Strom Thurmond and many others, while most of the others jumped ship and became Republicans, Byrd stayed with the Democratic Party. He had a crisis of conscience in 1982 and his subsequent decades, his words and actions in office, were completely different from his words and actions at the beginning of his service.
Crisis of conscience. Yes, mentioning his racism is fit only for bingo cards. But his crisis of conscience is the stuff that makes the Democratic party great, and is definitely relevant to this discussion.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maine Gov. LePage calls on NAACP to “apologize to the white people" Psihala Social Studies 7 20 January 2017 01:12 AM
Yale Students Tell English Profs to Stop Teaching English: Too Many White Male Poets Coughdrops Social Studies 32 06 June 2016 08:47 AM
Why Democrats look set to keep the White House in 2016 presidential election Mr. Billion Soapbox Derby 4 27 September 2015 03:13 AM
Danger: These signs may cause excessive laughter snopes Humor 78 24 February 2012 12:57 AM
Sonya Sotomayor on white male oppression snopes Questionable Quotes 5 01 July 2009 02:44 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.