snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 31 October 2011, 08:20 PM

Glasses Dangerous myths surround flu shots

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends flu shots for everyone over 6 months old. Yet relatively few people get them.

Last year, only 43 percent of Americans got a flu shot ó and that was a record.

The reason, experts say, is a host of myths about what the flu is and how dangerous it can be. Among those:

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/8...s-experts.html
Old 31 October 2011, 09:27 PM

Whenever I meet people who are against getting the flu shot for a reason like these (as opposed to a realistic one like having a depressed immune system or being allergic to eggs) I tell them about the thousands of deaths every year from the flu and if even one of those deaths could have been prevented by somebody getting the shot then its a tragedy.

I think most people figure they are young and healthy and even if they do get the flu they'll fight it off.. And that is probably true. What they don't think about is helping to spread it around until it ends up infecting somebody who cannot fight it off.

Really I have the same argument for vaccines, if one kid dies of pertussis who didn't have to then its a horrible side effect of the culture that seems to second guess medical experts (and instead often going to celebrities).
Old 31 October 2011, 09:51 PM

Check out one of my neighbor's response:
" Yikes! Mercury is a toxic element that never leaves your body, it's an ingredient in your flu vaccines. Bill Gates/Bill Gates Foundation is all for you getting your vaccines, but he's also all for depopulation. Hence his active roll in promoting flu shots and planned parenthood. Gates is stating that he considers vaccines to be useful in contributing to bring the projected population growth of 2.2 billion down to 1.3 billion. How could that happen you might wonder... Sterility, infertility, senility and lets not forget those abortions.

All one would need to do instead of this vaccine, would be washing your hands, eating super foods that boost your immune system and making sure you get a good share of Vitamin C. It's been over ten years since I have had a flu shot, and I haven't had the flu. "

See? She hasn't had the shot and she hasn't had the flu so she must be right.
Old 31 October 2011, 09:55 PM

I suspect a lot of young, healthy people who live around a lot of young, healthy people (some of whom probably have gotten the flu shot) have never gotten the flu. What they probably have had once or twice was a really bad cold and figured "Well, that wasn't so bad".

I've had the flu (so far as I know) exactly once, it was horrible, rapid changes in body temp, pain and aches, nausea and vomiting and all that along with difficulty breathing. It puts colds to shame, even bad ones.

ETA: My point with the egg allergy was really just an example to illustrate that there are people who may have reasonable reasons for not wanting to get the shot (even if there are workarounds) and I was not referring to them.
Old 31 October 2011, 10:32 PM

I had rotator cuff surgery last February. As I was laying there very relaxed due to the tranquilizer administered a short time previously, I was asked if I had had a flu shot. My wife piped up quickly before I could say a thing and told them to give me one. At least I spoke up quickly enough to have them give it to me in the shoulder not being operated on.
Old 01 November 2011, 02:53 PM

Glasses

A FOAF posted on face book (very disapprovingly) that she and her husband were strong-armed into getting flu shots, pulling out the old chestnut that since her husband gets sick when he gets the shot, he must be getting the flu from the shot.

Oh, and the strong-arming? If her husband didn't get the shot, he had to wear a medical mask at work. Such injustice! Such force!

Seaboe
Old 31 October 2011, 09:54 PM

Even the egg allergy can be dealt with. My DD with egg allergies gets the shot in small does. It used to be 5 doses but this year it was only 2. (There is apparently less egg in the vaccine and her allergy is lessening.)