snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 16 December 2017, 05:19 AM

Default CDC gets list of forbidden words: fetus, transgender, diversity...

Quote:
The Trump administration is prohibiting officials at the nation's top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases — including "fetus" and "transgender" — in any official documents being prepared for next year's budget.

Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden words at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden words are "vulnerable," "entitlement," "diversity," "transgender," "fetus," "evidence-based" and "science-based."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cd...z&ocid=U007DHP

Trump finally makes "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" official policy.
Old 16 December 2017, 02:01 PM

This is double-plus un-good!
Old 16 December 2017, 02:15 PM

"Evidence-based" and "science-based"? Jesus... You could at least make the argument that some of the others might show political bias (although they shouldn't, unless you think that the right wing is automatically against vulnerable people, diversity and so on) but those? They're officially not allowed to mention scientific evidence in their policy and budget requests?

Quote:
In some instances, the analysts were given alternative phrases. Instead of "science-based" or *"evidence-based," the suggested phrase is "CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes," the person said. In other cases, no replacement words were immediately offered.
Who is it that's even telling them that these are the words they have to use?

... Actually when you read that, it wouldn't surprise me if it's being misrepresented a bit by the "analyst" who has reported this to msn. It seems a little bizarre otherwise. I hope that it is being misrepresented for the sake of an inflammatory headline, but if so, that's not helpful. Nor do the suggestions of "banned words" seem very helpful.

Maybe these are words and phrases that they know are going to "trigger" Trump, and so they have to work around them because if they rephrase them, he won't spot the meanings?

Last edited by Richard W; 16 December 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 16 December 2017, 03:46 PM

I had to double check to see if this was on Onion article. No such luck.

I’ve never been a fan of forbidden words, anyway, and this is exactly why. Somebody always abuses it. Freedom of speech matters.
Old 16 December 2017, 03:57 PM

Baseball

I work in an area where we have "banned" certain words. But, it is rarely for political purposes. It is almost always for continuity of messaging and ensuring our communications are unambiguous. It is no small factor that we work in an English/French environment, but I know of other militaries that do similar things.

And, as far as messaging goes, we do get messages that our bosses want to be used. For example, in a deployment area, we will get a list of messages that we are to use if someone approaches us about getting aid (usually it is how to get aid).

Nevertheless, I do get sweaty when I think of words being banned for purely political reasons. Inside Trump's cabinet, sure. But not the entire government or even agencies within it.
Old 16 December 2017, 04:16 PM

UEL- The big difference here is that the banned words are the accepted words and phrases in an area where some of those terms are used often. MDs (and insurance companies, and the gov't) need to be reminded constantly that what they do is supposed to be "evidence-based" and "science-based" since so much of medicine is neither.

The "fetus" ban in particular is problematical. What word do you use in its place? Baby is clearly incorrect regardless of what some Christians think.

Hopefully, this entire stupidity is being misrepresented. Any official policy banning words is going to have official documentation and until that surfaces it really isn't official policy.
Old 16 December 2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Nevertheless, I do get sweaty when I think of words being banned for purely political reasons.
Yes, this is what I mean. Besides being Orwellian it’s ineffectual. Someone will find or create a word for “fetus” that is not “baby,” like “advanced blastula” or something. Language is a tool that belongs to all its speakers, not one group or person. We can adapt it for our purposes, use loan words, create new words, bend the meaning of an old word, add modifiers, etc.

But that doesn’t make it right to try to control people or ideas by restricting speech.
Old 16 December 2017, 07:30 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
UEL- The big difference here is that the banned words are the accepted words and phrases in an area where some of those terms are used often.
I got that loud and clear. I was offering only an example where I am OK with some direction coming down regarding words.

And I am still uncomfortable about it in the US. Because this is being done to purely stifle valid conversation.
Old 16 December 2017, 11:46 PM

Mouse

The Right rags on the idea of safe spaces, while insisting on a massive culture-wide one for themselves.
Old 17 December 2017, 12:03 AM

The Right isn't against safe spaces. They're against safe spaces for anyone who isn't a heterosexual, white Christian male.
Old 18 December 2017, 11:54 AM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
The Right rags on the idea of safe spaces, while insisting on a massive culture-wide one for themselves.
Reason had an article about that very thing about a month or two ago.
Amazing how one side can ramble about another side's safe spaces without stopping to consider their own.
Beam, meet eye.
Old 18 December 2017, 02:34 PM

But . . . but . . . but . . . our safe spaces are just normal! That's just the way the world is, always has been, and always should be!

[end sarcasm]
Old 18 December 2017, 03:00 PM

That is pretty much their reaction to everything. "We aren't privileged from being white. That's just the way the world is, always has been, and always should be!" "We don't have exclusive rights to heterosexual marriage. That's just the way the world is, always has been, and always should be!"
Old 18 December 2017, 06:54 PM

Conservatives head's explode when you call them "special little snowflakes".
Old 19 December 2017, 01:21 AM

Mouse

The Right are basically the kids on the playground who spend all their time kicking dirt into the eyes of the other kids, yet as soon as someone kicks some dust into their eyes, they go, “I’m telling!” and run bawling to the playground monitor.
Old 19 December 2017, 02:44 AM

No, they start screaming "It's not fair!!!" and having a tantrum when someone tells them that they're not allowed to kick dirt.
Old 20 December 2017, 02:30 AM

Mouse

I think we’re both right, Crocoduck.
Old 20 December 2017, 08:39 AM

Clearly political correctness gone mad.

TBF to Trump and his fellow travellers, nothing they have done is a surprise. This is exactly the bullshit suppression of truth the US voted for. As horrendous as I find Trump, I find the voters worse. We can blame Fox, blame Clinton, blame the DNC, but in the end people ticked the box, people pulled the leaver. Just as British voters voted for the Brexit suicide pact, American ones voted for the psychotic narcissist in the White House. We, the people, have brought this on ourselves.
Old 20 December 2017, 11:41 AM

Icon84

Is this list an update to George Carlin's list of Seven Words You Can't Say on the Air?
Old 21 December 2017, 02:24 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
TBF to Trump and his fellow travellers, nothing they have done is a surprise. This is exactly the bullshit suppression of truth the US voted for. As horrendous as I find Trump, I find the voters worse. We can blame Fox, blame Clinton, blame the DNC, but in the end people ticked the box, people pulled the leaver. Just as British voters voted for the Brexit suicide pact, American ones voted for the psychotic narcissist in the White House. We, the people, have brought this on ourselves.
Agreed.

On some small level, I empathize with Trump voters in that many of them do have legitimate issues that warrant being addressed and they are getting used and screwed over by Trump and the GOP. But my sympathy for them ends pretty quick, because they had no problem with voting to screw over anyone they don’t like.

While there are probably legitimate Trump apostates, my cynicism says that the majority are probably as a result of them realizing that Trump’a horrible actions do actually affect them and people they care, not just those...let’s just say that Trump voters weren’t voting for him because of economic issues , no matter how much anyone pretends otherwise.

In general, the working class went mostly for Hillary, whereas Trump’s base was mostly wealthy and White, so I get really tired of the “Trump’s support came from the working class” meme. It’s not only inaccurate, but it feels like a classist dodge like they’re already planning to pin it on the poor if everything goes south. The poor will get the blame with everybody going on about “how those poors are so stupid, am I right?” while the corporate interests and elites who backed and funded Trump, make a getaway. Though I’m not sure which is worse, the pundits for propagating this meme or the DNC for bowing their heads and going along with it.