snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 16 November 2017, 06:16 PM

Jaded Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny

http://www.kabc.com/2017/11/16/leean...or-al-franken/

Quote:
On the day of the show Franken and I were alone backstage going over our lines one last time. He said to me, “We need to rehearse the kiss.” ...I said ‘OK’ so he would stop badgering me. We did the line leading up to the kiss and then he came at me, put his hand on the back of my head, mashed his lips against mine and aggressively stuck his tongue in my mouth.
There's also a picture of Franken apparently groping/pretending to grope her while she slept.

Also, this from the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/u...e-kissing.html

Sigh. I always thought Franken came off as a bit of a jerk even in his pre-senatorial days, but respected what he was doing in office. I'm hoping that he will step down as gracefully as possible and that this doesn't lead to a massive display of hypocrisy from his supporters on the left.
Old 16 November 2017, 07:06 PM

Fright

I don't know if it would quite rise to the level where I would insist on his resignation (from what has been revealed thus far) but it's pretty bad. God damn it, Al.

(If it was something that had happened back in the 70's/early 80's, I would be a trifle more forgiving -- I suspect worse things than that happened behind the scenes at SNL -- but in 2006? You knew better, Al. And had been happily married for many many years, on top of that.)

Although part of me hopes the Republicans in the Senate put forth a motion to expel him, just to make their hypocrisy spectacularly clear....

ETA: Democrats are actually calling for an ethics investigation; Franken says he will cooperate.
Old 16 November 2017, 07:54 PM

Ugh. I won't make excuses for that behavior. This is definitely not a partisan issue for me, and not something I will overlook for someone from my party. I have no problem condemning Bill Clinton for what he did. One of my biggest concerns about voting for Hillary Clinton was that her winning would also put Bill back in the White House.

I'm glad Democrats are taking action, and I hope it is a thorough investigation that leads to decisive and appropriate action.
Old 16 November 2017, 10:59 PM

I voted for him twice, and am spectacularly disappointed in him.

He should have known better.
Old 16 November 2017, 11:11 PM

I don’t think it’s about knowing better. It’s about choosing better. Power gives g-you the opportunity to take advantage of people, but you know you shouldn’t. Everyone does.

But that’s exponentually true for the politicians, judges, cops, and pastors who are supposed to be looking out for us.
Old 17 November 2017, 01:12 AM

Mouse

Goddangit, is there a White dude who is currently in some kind of position of power, who isn’t a total sleaze.

For the record, I’m aware that this isn’t a Whites-only policy, but given that the vast majority of these cases seem to involve White guys, I’m wondering if we need some massive demographic time-out: until they pass a test proving that they understand the concept of consent AND they’ve apologized and given their victims some form of financial restitution.
Old 17 November 2017, 02:50 AM

I know you know this, but sexual assault goes on all over the world. We’re seeing the whiteness because that’s who tends to hold the reins in our country, but this is a power issue, and a human issue, and I think it’s important to recognize that women and men everywhere suffer under this kind of abuse. This crap is going down from the least known villages to the best known cities in the world.
Old 17 November 2017, 02:52 AM

It is nice, at least, that Democrats in the Senate are unanimously calling for an Ethics Committee investigation instead of making excuses for him.
Old 17 November 2017, 04:42 AM

Jaded Trump tweets about Al "Frankenstien," stays silent about Moore

President Trump tweeted late Thursday night about the allegations that Democratic Sen. Al Franken "kissed and groped" a woman against her will -- but he did not comment on the sexual misconduct allegations against Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-t...t-about-moore/
Old 17 November 2017, 12:14 PM

Let alone on the ones against himself.
Old 17 November 2017, 02:48 PM

Icon06

I find it demoralizing to have people I've always admired and respected revealed as predators, frat boys, slime balls, etc.
Old 17 November 2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Let alone on the ones against himself.
Well, clearly Al did it wrong. He got the “just kiss, don’t even wait, when you’re a star, they let you do anything” part. But then he grabbed her by the breasts instead of the p**** and ruined everything.

Only Donald knows how to assault women the right way.
Old 17 November 2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
I find it demoralizing to have people I've always admired and respected revealed as predators, frat boys, slime balls, etc.
I think that's part of the reason they often get away with it for so long.

None of us likes to think nasty things about people we like and/or admire. It's so unpleasant, the mind often tries to skate away from the evidence.
Old 17 November 2017, 08:59 PM

Well, this certainly ought to help:

Sitting [Ohio] Supreme Court Justice Bill O'Neill, responding to Franken allegations, claims bedding 50 women

Quote:
A post on O'Neill's official Facebook said he was speaking up "on behalf of all heterosexual males" after allegations against Democratic U.S. Sen. Al Franken came to light Thursday. O'Neill, a Chagrin Falls native, said he had been "sexually intimate" with "approximately 50 very attractive females."

O'Neill said he was disappointed by the "national feeding frenzy about sexual indiscretions decades ago" and wanted to focus on the issues like legalizing marijuana and addressing opioid addiction.
I'm not sure you ought to be a Judge if you equate "sexual assault" and "sexual indiscretions." Well, actually, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be.
Old 17 November 2017, 09:34 PM

What the actual NFBSK? They're really coming out of the woodwork now, aren't they?

ETA: His awkward syntax made me think at first reading that Senator Bob Taft (Senior) was his first true love...
Old 17 November 2017, 10:01 PM

Me too on the syntax thinking that Senator Bob Taft was one of his lovers.

Also, is this the biggest and most unhelpful humble-brag in the history of humble-brags?
Old 17 November 2017, 11:59 PM

Me three.

That is so over the top that I wonder whether it's actually from him. It reads as satirical.

And is he supposed to be claiming all those 50 women were unwilling and it doesn't matter, or to be claiming that the woman who accused Franken was willing (even when unconscious), or to be unable to tell the difference between sex with someone who's willing and with someone who isn't?

(Unfortunately, I suppose any of those is possible.)

ETA: I really should read the article before commenting. It says he's been interviewed, and it was his post. And he still doesn't seem to understand what the fuss is about.
Old 18 November 2017, 01:08 AM

Dear Facebook,
I never thought this would happen to me...
Old 18 November 2017, 01:23 AM

Those letters are REAL! (Now in the old days, we both could have said "points for reference." q.v. the Unhijackable thread.)
Old 18 November 2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
What the actual NFBSK? They're really coming out of the woodwork now, aren't they?
He's...odd. He also lambasted the Cleveland Browns as a bunch of draft-dodgers earlier this year.

IMO he only won his seat on the court because of his "good ballot name." He barely even campaigned.

Last edited by lord_feldon; 18 November 2017 at 06:12 AM.