snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 22 June 2017, 05:19 PM

I have 3 vehicles to chose from for running errands:Ram 1500, Toyota Prius, and a Ford F350 crew cab, dually, diesel pickup. The Ram 1500 has the right window stuck in the down position and the Prius has the A/C not working due to low Freon. The A/C in the F350 is working. But I hate driving it in town.
Old 22 June 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I'm grateful for my car's AC this week. I can leave it parked in the sun all day, and two seconds after I turn the key in the ignition I'm blasted with such cold air at such great force that I'm comfortable again. It may be dinged up; it may be roughly the same age as my summer law clerk, but dagnabit, it's cool.
When did they switch from Freon to the more ozone friendly refrigerant in cars? I'm wondering if that may be the difference between your car's AC and mine. It's adequate most of the time, but this past week it only seems to manage to cool the car down from "sauna" to "almost tolerable but still a bit warm", even as I said yesterday on full blast and recirculate mode.
Old 22 June 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
When did they switch from Freon to the more ozone friendly refrigerant in cars?
Technically we have never switched from Freon. Freon is the name of a group of chemicals. The change in refrigerants was from one Freon to another.
Old 23 June 2017, 02:04 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
When did they switch from Freon to the more ozone friendly refrigerant in cars?
They started phasing out chloroflurocarbons in 1989. They were to be completely eliminated by 1996 (these were the first group of ozone depleting substances to be banned).

ETA: I saw a great play last night (although there are complaints that could be made). It's called The Legend of Georgia McBride. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a chance to see it.

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 23 June 2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 23 June 2017, 05:42 PM

I have a Facebook friend, someone I know IRL too, who has always been a bit unhinged. He's been counting down to something, which at one point he indicated was just a move to live off the grid. Since then he has implied that it is something much bigger, and he's gone of on frothing, barely coherent rants, I think against the government, but even that is hard to tell.

I honestly think he is harmless, as he has always proven to be in the past, but I'm starting to think I should consider reporting his behavior. I'm just not sure who I would report him to or what I would say.

I don't want to be wrong about him being harmless if that means someone is going to get hurt.
Old 23 June 2017, 05:57 PM

If he's posting on Facebook, then he's very much still on the grid.

If you feel you need to report him, I'd just start with his local police office if he's not saying anything specific (it sounds like he isn't since you can barely make out what he is saying). If nothing else, they might be able to do a welfare check (although that probably depends on your relationship to him and other factors).
Old 23 June 2017, 06:11 PM

Yes, he's on the grid, that's what the countdown is for, at the end of it he will be moving totally of the grid. Or at least that's what he said at one time.