snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 24 April 2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Ha ha, that offensive thing I just said was just a joke. So you can't be mad at me fore it. Stop being so uptight. Ha ha.

Hey, it's not his fault that nobody can take a joke!
Old 24 April 2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Attorney General Jeff Sessions says “nobody has a sense of humor anymore.”
Actually sir, the real truth is some people aren't as funny as they think they are.

Well, no... the real, real truth is some people don't want to take responsibility for the words they pushed out of their own mouths.
Old 24 April 2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Attorney General Jeff Sessions says “nobody has a sense of humor anymore.”

That’s his assessment after drawing ire for seeming to dismiss the state of Hawaii as merely “an island in the Pacific.”

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeff-ses...humor-anymore/
Mr. Sessions,

If nobody thought you were funny....

....then you weren't.

No love,
Me
Old 25 April 2017, 12:37 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Well, no... the real, real truth is some people don't want to take responsibility for the words they pushed out of their own mouths.
I keep wondering if there's a name for the "I was just kidding; God why do you have to be so sensitive about everything" fallacy, something shorter than what I've typed out. I won't deny that there are legitimate examples of people overreacting to something meant to be a joke, but most of the time, the people using that defense, have said something no one could possibly hope to find funny and are trying to weasel out of the consequences. Been on the Internet for too long, seen too many discussion that go something like this:

Person X: I hope Person Y is raped, tortured, and left in a ditch to die.

Person Z: That's a horrible thing to say.

Person X: I was only kidding. God, why do you have to be so sensitive about everything?

I freely admit to exaggerating a little in the example given, but not by much actually.

In addition to the weaseliness, the people who utilize this defense, don't seem to understand that people aren't identical to them. They may think it is the single funniest joke in the history of jokes, but the other person may not and they have every right to say, "Dude, not funny," in response. Besides, everyone knows Monty Python wrote the funniest joke in the world. Anyone claiming otherwise, is kidding themselves.
Old 25 April 2017, 07:11 AM

A lot of time, people who use the "I was just joking" defense weren't actually joking. They're just retroactively claiming that they were joking in order to avoid consequences for something they should have known better than to say.
Old 25 April 2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
A lot of time, people who use the "I was just joking" defense weren't actually joking. They're just retroactively claiming that they were joking in order to avoid consequences for something they should have known better than to say.
Very much this. This is what I was trying to say with my second line above.